Is it time to short GameStop in the market?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    https://www.google.com/search?q=gamestop+stock+quote&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

They've had a nice run lately and Xbox/ps4 will only allow downloads and you can't resell the games. Probably going to be a big hit on their 4th quarter earnings.

What says INGO?
    I think your information is incorrect. You will be able to resell your games from PS4. M$ is the one with draconian DRM, and I will bet that they will take that out before launch because of the backlash. PS4 has said that it will be up to the publishers to enforce DRM, but what publisher is going to institute it when so many people are up in arms over it. It's a sure way to cut your own throat.

There will still be hard copies of the games, so it's not DL only. We may see a time when you can't resell your games, but this gen is not the one.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Should we also be banned from reselling books and movies? Makes just as much sense as preventing resale of video games.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Read your small print. You down "own" the video. You are buying the right to use it for a given time.

Ah, I thought ps4 was download only. It will be avail for download option though and many will probably go that route.

Last edited:

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    I believe the market could see some turmoil down the road. Look at what is happening all over the world: Riots/protesting in Brazil, all over, involving thousands if not millions of people. The riots in Sweden. The issues in the middle east. The riots that broke off recently in Turkey. These are all things that have happened recently, and doesn't take into account the issues we saw all over Europe with their austerity issues. The US has since been immune from that kind of widespread protesting/looting, but we are seeing increased levels of violence in major urban areas. Why is there violence if everything with the economy is so great? I say it is great at all. It was all mal-investment money that has been poured into very specific areas. A handful of people made 90% of the government money, the remaining 10% were folks like auto workers, construction folks, etc. who were lucky if they made over $100K a year for a three or so year window. You also have the interest rates going up, which will push up some longer terms safer investments like certain bonds and CDs.

Taking all this into account, I believe in shorting the market. When you look at companies like GameStop and RedBox, we are going to be seeing a massive change given technology. Game makers will be delivering their product directly, cutting out the middle man. I foresee the movie industry doing the same thing, though they would have to merge or buyout cable TV/sat companies, or have them lower prices for a % of the profits. If companies go to some sort of direct delivery system, the middleman companies are toast.

Coltsfan33

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    Greenfield
    Xbox announced today that they have made revisions to their new system the "Xbox One." It will now allow used games to be played, so we will still see the Buy, Sell, Trade of games that Gamestop thrives off of.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Xbox announced today that they have made revisions to their new system the "Xbox One." It will now allow used games to be played, so we will still see the Buy, Sell, Trade of games that Gamestop thrives off of.
    I think they'd lose more sales with that stupid "no used games gimmick" than they lose to the used games.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Why worry about it all the kids play on the phone/tablet now and download the games from the app store of choice also. Get rid of it like blockbuster a few years ago.

With raspberry devices and linux/xbmc might look at dumping off of all the cable companies/broadcasters also. Mirimax, redbox, netflix, ect. Soon nobody will be watching tv as we knew it.

Thing is by the time we start talking about it here the drop has already started or the rise. I investers have already dumped or bought.

tatic05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Gamestop won't fall to far. Like the others said MS has backed off the DRM crap. I have no issues with gamestop always nice and friendly plus they don't care that I carry. They use to not do trade ins back in the day. Once people or parents get more comfortable with online purchases then I would see more of a change.

Shiban

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2013
    Until I can get better internet out in the boonies, I'm going to have to have hard copies, or I won't be able to play. Direct DL is not an option.

I knew it was a matter of time before M$ backpedaled. They couldn't afford to keep that in place with the PS4 not doing any of it.

BIGnTall83

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Auburn, Indiana

^^This, BUT!!!! Microsoft has ran of alot of their customers (being one myself) with the assumption that this would be OK....DRM....

Anyone wanna buy an Xbox 360 to fund my gun addiction? lol

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    Actually I just sold my gamestop this year.

I bought in back in 09?ish? I know I've had it for a while. I sold when it hit double my buy in. I wanna say it was 20/s when I bought and maybe just shy of 40/s I sold all.

It was a pretty solid performer, and I expect it to grow with the launch of the new consoles and may buy back in once the initial announcement hype wears off to profit from the actual console launches.

I don't foresee it being a long term buy in though. I think this may very well be the last of the hardcopy gaming consoles. Computer gaming moved away from hardcopy long ago, and is still successful, even moreso for the small time developers that otherwise wouldn't be able to get a bite. Console gaming though has always been about the hardcopy. But as the next generation of gamers comes in, the ones that've never blown on a plastic cartridge to get it to work, I can see the hardcopy gaming era coming to a close.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Another thing is how much is GameStop making on reselling used smart phones? Do they sell tablets as well? I don't know the %, but I know that at least some of their phones were stolen. If they sell tablets, I'm sure they are stolen as well. We are getting to a point where these items will be completely blocked. In fact, just found out about someone buying a phone, tried to activate it, and discovered he/she couldn't because it was "reported stolen." I know there is some federal law/rule that is supposed to make it so these devices are unusable once the serial number is reported is stolen. If they are getting a large enough portion of their revenue from this line of sales, and a large % of those devices are in fact stolen, they will likely take a hit on that end.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Actually I just sold my gamestop this year.

I bought in back in 09?ish? I know I've had it for a while. I sold when it hit double my buy in. I wanna say it was 20/s when I bought and maybe just shy of 40/s I sold all.

It was a pretty solid performer, and I expect it to grow with the launch of the new consoles and may buy back in once the initial announcement hype wears off to profit from the actual console launches.

I don't foresee it being a long term buy in though. I think this may very well be the last of the hardcopy gaming consoles. Computer gaming moved away from hardcopy long ago, and is still successful, even moreso for the small time developers that otherwise wouldn't be able to get a bite. Console gaming though has always been about the hardcopy. But as the next generation of gamers comes in, the ones that've never blown on a plastic cartridge to get it to work, I can see the hardcopy gaming era coming to a close.
    I think you're right. The next generation will be direct download. That really makes me angry though because I like physical media. I'm either going to have to risk losing all of my games if my console's hard drive fails, or I'm going to have to have always online and connect to some remote storage cloud. I don't like either option.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    I think you're right. The next generation will be direct download. That really makes me angry though because I like physical media. I'm either going to have to risk losing all of my games if my console's hard drive fails, or I'm going to have to have always online and connect to some remote storage cloud. I don't like either option.

Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom