Is it ok for the President to use THAT word?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I'm sure someone can put up a link, but apparently President Obama uttered that terrible word.
    first question, is it ok for President Obama to use that word? Why or why not?
    second, would it have been ok for President Bush to utter the same word? Why or why not?

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I'm sure someone can put up a link, but apparently President Obama uttered that terrible word.
    second, would it have been ok for President Bush to utter the same word? Why or why not?

In B4 Kut..... ( I am only guessing what the word is ) .....

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    The first amendment protects freedom of speech so he has every right to use it.

I didn't hear the context, but I generally will respect someone more for using it in a civil discussion of race or language instead of saying "the n word." I think that's a cop out. In order to discuss the use of a particular word, one often has to use said word within the frame of an academic conversation.

I think it's a disgusting word, but I would never say that a citizen of the United States shouldn't have the right to use any words they want.

All that said... I don't see this thread lasting very long.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia

Why wouldn't it be? He gets away with everything else.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    The first amendment protects freedom of speech so he has every right to use it.

I didn't hear the context, but I generally will respect someone more for using it in a civil discussion of race or language instead of saying "the n word." I think that's a cop out. In order to discuss the use of a particular word, one often has to use said word within the frame of an academic conversation.

This, and that was how it was used. I agree, when having an adult discussion about harsh language in any sense, using cutesy abbreviations like "the N word" or "the F word" is kinda silly.

I also can't help but laugh at anyone up in arms over language on a podcast titled "What the F***? With Marc Maron".

Here's the clip.

Barack Obama uses N-word during discussion on racism ? audio | US news | The Guardian

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I heard the clip. I personally have no more problem with him saying it than your doctor calling your twig and berries by their medical terms.

Its a word people. Its not like he is endangering humanity by opening the Necrenomicon, or risking accidentally saying it three times to make somebody like this appear.
    beetlejuice.jpg

I have no love for that man or his marxist, USA hating views, but I honestly think we have bigger fish to fry. :dunno:

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Meh, anybody can use that word in the manner the president did. I wouldn't find offense to it.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    What is the big deal? After reviewing it, ANYONE saying what he was saying while using that word would be "ok". A word is just letters grouped together, WE give them meaning. The meaning follows it's use.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    The last time I used that word, I was in sixth grade and didn't really understand what it meant; got my ass kicked by the only black kid in our class (the first black kid in our class in 7 years). I won't use it as a pejorative, I object to the hypocrites who say _I_ can't say it but that _they_ can, and other than that I don't really care anymore, other than I've decided that I'm done with worrying about the feelings of people who seem to get their kicks by being butthurt by other peoples' words. That's just another form of bullying and I stopped knuckling under to bullies the year after I learned not to use that particular word.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    What is the big deal? After reviewing it, ANYONE saying what he was saying while using that word would be "ok". A word is just letters grouped together, WE give them meaning. The meaning follows it's use.
    I'm not saying it's a big deal to me, but evidently it is to some people.
    My point is "the anointed one" will get a pass where someone else (one of the Presidents Bush, or any other well known or high ranking official, ecspecially one who is white) would probably be ran out of office, fired, or made to "step down" for simply mentioning that set of "letters grouped together"!
    I haven't turned on the news yet tonight, but my guess is there will hardly be a mention, but if a white celebrity or official had said the same thing, we wouldn't hear the end of it.
    Am I wrong?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I'm not saying it's a big deal to me, but evidently it is to some people.
    My point is "the anointed one" will get a pass where someone else (one of the Presidents Bush, or any other well known or high ranking official, ecspecially one who is white) would probably be ran out of office, fired, or made to "step down" for simply mentioning that set of "letters grouped together"!
    I haven't turned on the news yet tonight, but my guess is there will hardly be a mention, but if a white celebrity or official had said the same thing, we wouldn't hear the end of it.
    Am I wrong?

Yeah, I think you're wrong. The context is important. I think any of the former POTUSes could have said the same thing without an issue.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    I also can't help but laugh at anyone up in arms over language on a podcast titled "What the F***? With Marc Maron".
    I don't think that IS the title. And if it is, and the President agreed to be on that show.... Well, I guess that says something about him!?
    after all, he did an interview with some chick that got "famous" swimming in a bathtub full of cereal!:rolleyes: VERY presidential, don't you think!?

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Meh, anybody can use that word in the manner the president did. I wouldn't find offense to it.
    I hope that's an honest answer. Good to hear!
    But don't you think he could have gotten his point across without the use of a word that so many people ARE offended by?
    And to the second part of my first post, what if President Bush said the same thing? Obviously, you wouldn't be offended, but do you think it would be ignored by the main stream media? Or would it be THE discussion of the week (month)?
    Eta:^^^pretty much already answered.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    I hope that's an honest answer. Good to hear!
    But don't you think he could have gotten his point across without the use of a word that so many people ARE offended by?
    And to the second part of my first post, what if President Bush said the same thing? Obviously, you wouldn't be offended, but do you think it would be ignored by the main stream media? Or would it be THE discussion of the week (month)?
    Eta:^^^pretty much already answered.

I do think an ignorant section would try and make a big deal out of it, but I doubt it would go anywhere.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    You are asking a question that REALLY cannot be answered. We can guess, we can postulate, we can wonder, but we will really never know.

Top Bottom