Is it legal for a Teen borrowing Dad's car with a pistol locked in car gun safe?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    My teenager is now borrowing my car. I usually keep a loaded pistol locked in a steel pistol safe which is secured to the car seat with a steal cable. Both my wife and I have LTCH. My teen does not know the combination to the in-car safe. Is having the pistol in the car a legal issue for my teen or me if my teen is pulled over or in an accident without me present?
    Not legal in the slightest without someone with a LTCH regardless of age.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Another reason to never consent to a search of a vehicle just in case someone left something in it that the driver is unaware of. Teach your driving age kids to politely keep their mouths shut.

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    To illustrate what I see as the problem: Same facts, but your son has a teenage friend riding with him. Which kid would they pin the gun on? Based on what? They would still have to prove that one of them possessed the handgun.

lizerdking

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 7, 2012
    Almost on lake Mich
    I think the real question here is why are you keeping a loaded gun locked in a box chained to the seat in your car?

What can this possibly do in a time of urgent need? You'd be better off carrying on your hip with an empty chamber.....

Condition 1 on Body carry, or in the safe @ home. No need to be carting guns around if you can't possibly use them in a time of need anyway...

I'm trying to imagine the situation where this comes in handy, A really patient carjacker? A mugger that lets you run back to the car to grab your "wallet" real quick?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I think the real question here is why are you keeping a loaded gun locked in a box chained to the seat in your car?

What can this possibly do in a time of urgent need? You'd be better off carrying on your hip with an empty chamber.....

Condition 1 on Body carry, or in the safe @ home. No need to be carting guns around if you can't possibly use them in a time of need anyway...

I'm trying to imagine the situation where this comes in handy, A really patient carjacker? A mugger that lets you run back to the car to grab your "wallet" real quick?

Backup in case your normally carried guns get confiscated while out and about.

Plane Pistol

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Fair question as to why have a loaded pistol in a car gun safe. The reason is I am prohibited to carry at work. I keep the pistol in a pocket holster in the locked gun box to allow for pocket carry immediately upon exiting work. It stays condition 1 so as remain inconspicuous as it is placed into carry service. Racking a slide in a parking lot might draw some unwanted attention. It is certainly less than ideal, but until 2nd Amendment rights are respected on all private business properties, it is the best compromise I could come up with. I have typically returned the pistol to the car box once in my home garage to repeate the process the next day. Upon the sound advice of my fellow INGOs the gun and box now go inside with me.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Not legal in the slightest without someone with a LTCH regardless of age.

You're incorrect for 2 reasons. See explanation below If his teenage son is of age 18 or 19 it is not illegal if the weapon is unloaded; he would only have to slightly modify his storage (so the pistol were unloaded).

There is an exception to the IC prohibiting a minor from possession of firearms in a vehicle. If the minor is on his/her way to/from a shooting/sporting activity where he/she is legally permitted to possess the firearm they are permitted to possess it in a vehicle without any adults present. I don't have the exact IC at the moment but I've seen it before.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    What is going on on there that your gun is getting confiscated? Maybe I live in a different part of Indiana...

Sometimes, the gun is confiscated during the investigation of even a justified self defense incident.

Sometimes, you just attend the Indiana State Fair and don't think to disarm yourself before entering.

Sometimes...

Top Bottom