• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I hope so. I'm not from Indiana, but my favorite team (the CU Buffs) stink even worse than IU. It would be nice for the whole state if IU could put a good team on the field.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    No he will not

Cameron
    DiNardo
    Hoeppner
    Lynch

Wilson?

That's not a big enough name to bring big time talent to a loosing culture / basketball school and no chance to do anything. Year after year they suck. This will not change and I'm an IUB grad. I'd love to see them succeed but they won't and this dude is not a big enough name to change the talent level coming in needed to win.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I went to the games when Randel-El / Cameron were there. I would say Randle-El was the most talented player ever to play for IU. He was a blast to watch and they still sucked. One guy can't make it all happen and they will never have the combined talent needed to compete against Big Ten teams.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Great talent that wants to stay in-state, usually go to Purdue. I know all of the Big 10 is concerned with Nebraska coming. Nebraska the advantage of recruiting out of Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, and even Florida. IU and the Big 10 in general doesn't have that type of pull, especially for tier-1 athletes.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I mean no disrespect but IU wins 1 Big 10 game a year for the last few years. Has been to what, 1 bowl game in 20 years. Thats not exactly something a big name coach is interested in.

Teams like that, Purdue included when they got Tiller, need to find a relatively unknown that is a good coach. You wont ever get one of the hot names, they can do better.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I think it'll take several more years for IU's football team to be competitive in the Big 12...er 10.

And it won't be THIS coach that does it. What I mean is that it'll take him too long. He may very well get off to a great recruiting start; then someone else will come in to take the reigns. (Kind of like what Urban Meyer did at Bowling Green...then at Utah...)

-J-

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    As much as I would like to be proven wrong, no coach, no matter how good he is will improve the situation at IU. It will take commitment from above and serious changes in the infrastructure for them to ever be a football power. Crean has been able to begin the process of rebuilding the basketball team because the he has the system in place to do so. Until the university makes that kind of commitment to the football program, who ever they hire as the head coach will just be the next scapegoat.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    All this is irrelevant to what the people at the top of the university want which is a new 100K seat stadium built just west of 37. Other schools have one and they want one, one of the reasons they hired Fred Glass. Things haven't changed much in football there since I graduated in the 70s. The current stadium is still just about as full on game day today, so they only take pictures when Ohio State plays to make the stands look fuller.

The education/industrial complex will get that job done somehow because the people running it want thier egos stroked and the people building it want money.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Football + IU = zero

IU hasn't fielded a real football team since Harry Gonzo was the QB. What was that? '64? '65'? They send a player to the NFL every now and then but that doesn't show in the win/loss record. As long as they put enough butts in the seats on game day to help pay the bills they're happy. You've got to remember that IU rode Bob Knight's wagon for so long that the other programs didn't have to be a huge financial success.

I'd be more likely to bet on Crean's recruiting successes continuing and the round ball program returning to some semblance of respectability. But.... Crean is unlikely to be "Knighted" either.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    IUB Alum here. We don't care about football. We would like to have a decent team that doesn't get embarrassed year in and year out. I was there during the Corso years. So guess what, we were basketball fans. Football games were an excuse to drink earlier in the day than usual.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I must agree with much that has been said. IU is not a football school and I can't see where the effort is shown to prove otherwise. IMO IU has one of two choices:

1. Do what it takes to keep good players in-state and recruit them to IU. That means more scholarships, instead of depending on walk-ons.
    2. Go all out to get the tier-2 players in the mid-west and make them play. You don't need superstars if you play as a team.

Those players who BELIEVE they have a chance at the NFL will not choose IU, when they can go to OSU, MI, WI, or even PU. Those who KNOW they have a chance will not stay in the Big 10 unless it's OSU.

abrumlev

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    NE Indy
    It's rough in the sports life of a IUB Student/alum haha.

I really liked Lynch. The alums and school as a whole are expecting so much from a team that they're not willing to back financially. They're doing just enough to keep people off their backs but are just masking the true problem. No recruits.

My lil bro keeps going on about all the basketball recruits we're getting. I'm more stuck on the fact that half these kids are just verbal committments and they won't be coming for 2-3 years.

At least volleyball is going far this year and soccer was good.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Up front disclaimer: I'm a PU grad...
    that said, how many coaches are you guys gonna hire, fire, then payout their contract???? I don't think this guy will be the answer, but I'm not sure what is. I think all of us Purdue folks were blessed to get Joe Tiller, and while he had success before, he wasn't a big name in college FB. I think the another member eluded to the idea of not trying to pay huge bucks for a huge name (Kelvin Sampson, cough, cough) but look for a lesser known innovator. Tiller brought Football on grass to W. Lafayette, and the Big Ten, not to mention the luck of havning a Drew Brees at the helm simultaneaously, and that was what turned Purdue FB around. Yes I know we have struggled the last few, but we are better than where we potentially could be...

MikePapa1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2010
    North of Nashville, Tennessee
    It's a matter of changing the culture. It can be done but IU will have to commit to really supporting both a football and basketball program. Let's face it, IU has never really been a football school, but lately it's not been much of a basketball school either.

silverspoon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Bloomfield
    I think this guy is the real deal. I also think IU is making a commitment to their football program like never before. They are finally spending money on real coaches with real assistant coaches. IU desperately needs a viable football program. No longer can a major school depend on one sport {basketball} to fund the whole sports program. There is absolutely no reason IU can't have have both, a respectable basketball and football program.

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    IU's last Rose Bowl appearance was in 1968 (IU lost to USC).
    A new coach isn't going to change that anytime soon.

Top Bottom