• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Today, I was watching a Home Time (the PBS home improvement show) on my DVR. At the end of the episode, Dean announced that would be their last episode and they were wrapping it up after 29 years. Previously, I'd noticed that networks like HGTV and DIY had less and less content showing folks how stuff was done, how to make repairs around the house, on cars, etc. Now, it seems they're all about doing crappy and exotic makeovers in 3 days or less and flipping houses and that sort of stuff.

I know as a young homeowner, shows like This Old House, Home Time, and various shows when HGTV first came on cable taught me a bunch about how things are built and how to repair them when they broke. I'm sure the network execs have decided people would rather see how to do a gaudy bathroom redo with an unlimited budget and an army of workers than how the homeowner can troubleshoot his own auxiliary heat in his heat pump.

I hardly watch HGTV or DIY channels anymore.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Not in this household. Anything I can do on my own or with a little help, I will. Mainly because that is what the budget dictates but I usually get a little enjoyment out of it

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    This is a good point. I do too. But mostly when I'm looking for something specific.

Our largely service based economy should be a pretty big hint. Lots of folks have little interest in doing for themselves, getting dirty or skinning up a knuckle. I don't see a lot of indicators that things will be different with the younger generations as they grow older. I enjoy doing for myself and I really enjoy not paying someone $50-$100/hr to do things I'm capable of. There's a lot I don't know (HVAC, Serious Electrical) but I've researched and learned how to do a lot of things myself.

Sell your stock in Home Depot.

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    MOST of'em......nuth'n more'n a clown-show.....:):

'specially 'is idiot.....

download.php

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Not in this household. Anything I can do on my own or with a little help, I will. Mainly because that is what the budget dictates but I usually get a little enjoyment out of it

Our largely service based economy should be a pretty big hint. Lots of folks have little interest in doing for themselves, getting dirty or skinning up a knuckle. I don't see a lot of indicators that things will be different with the younger generations as they grow older. I enjoy doing for myself and I really enjoy not paying someone $50-$100/hr to do things I'm capable of. There's a lot I don't know (HVAC, Serious Electrical) but I've researched and learned how to do a lot of things myself.

I was talking to a friend at church Sunday about something along these lines. A year or so ago, he was going to put a vent free fireplace in his basement and priced out all the parts he'd need and it was about $75. He called his LP guy and asked them about it and they said they'd do it for $50 (labor and materials). He did what I would have done and I like doing this stuff myself...he let them do it for 2/3 the cost.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I do everything I can DIY, but a lot of things I just pay a pro to do. While I can do basic carpentry, I couldn't build cabinets to save my life, but can probably finish them better than most anybody. It all depends on your skill set.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I think it's probably because of the internet. I use YouTube all the time for diy projects.

This, I like to try to fix what I can myself but a lot of time it's better left to to someone with the right tools, who's experienced and can get it done faster than yourself.
    I do like watching this old house sometimes when it's on but being a 25 year old renter I can't say when I might put any knowledge gained into action, let alone whether I'll remember it when the time comes.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    This, I like to try to fix what I can myself but a lot of time it's better left to to someone with the right tools, who's experienced and can get it done faster than yourself.
    I do like watching this old house sometimes when it's on but being a 25 year old renter I can't say when I might put any knowledge gained into action, let alone whether I'll remember it when the time comes.

Been a renter my whole adult life. We bought a fixer-upper house about 4 months ago and with the exception of putting down carpet, we've done the entire remodel ourselves. Drywall, tile, cabinets (finishing and install), countertops, laminate floor, plumbing, new molding, paint, some electrical.

YouTube was a godsend.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    It saddens me. So many people are maybe two generations off the farm, but have become such yuppies they're proud of not having to lower themselves to do anything. I don't know the breakdown, but your big hardware stores do a lot of their business selling gas grills and patio furniture, maybe some birdfeeders and gardening stuff. The lumber, plumbing, all that is mostly for contractors. Craft shops sell a bunch of cheap premade chinese seasonal decorations that I'd throw in a dumpster straight off the production line. The aisles for doing real stuff aren't exactly crowded. Make clothes? The materials are so expensive you have to be hardcore because finished clothes are cheaper.

Bennettjh

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Columbus

:+1:
    I never have hesitated to get my hands dirty or getting hurt. I prefer to do it myself. People just can't help themselves hardly anymore. Just face the problem and figure it out.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    For me, it's becoming a thing of the past largely because I'm completely burnt out. Five years ago, we bought a repo, and it needed everything - complete gut, new plumbing, rewire - everything. I'm down to two solid weeks of work, and I really don't care to do any more. The problem is finding someone who is reasonable AND good. Those two are rarely mutually exclusive.

Top Bottom