• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    What's the deal is it legal to own? I remember seeing a guy on here sell ceramic plates a while back so I assume those are also legal.

I remember seeing or reading that kevlar vests are only good for a certain number of years because the fibers begin to loosen up. Is there any truth to that? Are all vests made of kevlar ?

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    What's the deal is it legal to own? I remember seeing a guy on here sell ceramic plates a while back so I assume those are also legal.

I remember seeing or reading that kevlar vests are only good for a certain number of years because the fibers begin to loosen up. Is there any truth to that? Are all vests made of kevlar ?

why need some??? plates too ????? plate carriers???? Armor carriers??? side plates, front plates, rear plates, paper plates, china plates, All new plates. im might know a guy :D

deffinately LEGAL!!! and a great thing to have on hand. ya never know. i like to keep a vest hung over the front seat in my vehicle incase some jackball with road rage decides to take a pot shot at me through my trunk, also easy to sling on from there if i need it

also as long as you dont get them wet, then the soft armor will stay good for MANY YEARS over the expiration date. i'll prove it to ya on a range, shot many expired vest, playing around with different formulas to make the best SUPER armor before.
    some of them have water resistant inserts now over the armor. second chance is one.

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    Well I can get a point blank interceptor for a good price but it was made in 2002 so I'm not sure I want it. I believe it also has pockets for plates. Its very freakin heavy.

What do you guys mean about it being illegal ? Only if used in a crime?

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    exactly that. if you bought and used it to rob a bank that is illegal. however if you buy it and put it in your closet or choose to wear it every day and do everything by the book then no problem.

the pointblank vests are very good and we shot many that were over the expiration date and they stopped most pistol rounds. however we shot a couple that had be ran around in the rain a lot and got soaked they didn't do much at all.

next point it definitely has room for the plates but if you think its heavy now wait till you have them in, and omg wait till you put in some of the plates that stop armor piercing bullets (damn taliban for finding those and forcing me to wear a extra 10lbs of plates) but i will mention its a blessing if you ever really need them. i can tell you from personal experience as i was clearing a room and caught a 7.62 x 39 to the chest it will save your life, at the time you will think your still dying but that goes away and then your just really mad :)

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Well I can get a point blank interceptor for a good price but it was made in 2002 so I'm not sure I want it. I believe it also has pockets for plates. Its very freakin heavy.

an in the plastic interceptor for $150 is a good price. how much for the one you found?

45calibre

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    NWI
    The guy said 200 for the interceptor with two plates that will stop 7.62 M80 ball. But like I said the kevlar is from 2002. The plates are from 2004. I was thinking of just getting the plates and buying a new vest. The vest looks identical to what soldiers are using over seas. Where can I get a new vest For $150?

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    also as long as you dont get them wet, then the soft armor will stay good for MANY YEARS over the expiration date. i'll prove it to ya on a range, shot many expired vest, playing around with different formulas to make the best SUPER armor before.
    some of them have water resistant inserts now over the armor. second chance is one.
    While 99% of it will last well over the expiration date, it only takes 1 of them that doesn't. That's why there is an expiration. They've figured out that somewhere along the lines, a certain percentage of them will no longer be safe at such-and-such time, and therefore they've set the expiration date to X.

If expired is all you can get, it's better than nothing, but I wouldn't want to be the test case that tests 1000 vest that are 5 years past expiration because somewhere in there will be one that doesn't pass the test.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute

Here's the code section:

Indiana Statutes
    Title 35. CRIMINAL LAW AND PROCEDURE
    Article 47. WEAPONS AND INSTRUMENTS OF VIOLENCE
    Chapter 5. PROHIBITED INSTRUMENTS OF VIOLENCE
    Current through 2009 Legislative Session
    § 35-47-5-13. Unlawful use of body armor
    (a) As used in this section, "body armor" means bullet resistant metal or other material worn by a person to provide protection from weapons or bodily injury.
    (b) A person who knowingly or intentionally uses body armor while committing a felony commits unlawful use of body armor, a Class D felony.
    [SIZE=-1]History. As added by P.L.227-1996, SEC.1.[/SIZE]

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I remember seeing or reading that kevlar vests are only good for a certain number of years because the fibers begin to loosen up. Is there any truth to that?

Yes, if exposed to dirt, moisture and UV. Just stored they are not going to degrade. The expirations assume a
    vest is being worn.

Are all vests made of kevlar ?

Most are, not all.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    for 200 with the plates thats a good deal, i sold my vest for 250 with just the soft armor.

though on a side note do make sure that the plates haven't been shot because most of them are only good for 1-3 shots max and believe it or not alot of people will actually shoot their kit to make sure it works lol.

i know in the military as soon as we got hit they took the old plate and issued us a new one even though on the plate it stated they could stop 3 direct hits so who knows

again for that price i would buy it just for the plates and replace the soft armor

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    I know quite a bit about kevlar and composites and weaves so I will post on this.

What makes them (thing's I listed above) go bad is water, abuse, sometimes sun light.

If you took good care of it I can't see why it would not last many years past it's experation date....

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Bullet Proof Vests protect you from getting shot.
    Flak vests protect you from shrapnel.
    Floatation vests protect you from drowning.
    Sweater vests protect you from pretty girls.
    -Demetri Martin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana
    i can tell you from personal experience as i was clearing a room and caught a 7.62 x 39 to the chest it will save your life, at the time you will think your still dying but that goes away and then your just really mad :)
    Reminds me of the vid of the soldier that takes a round to the chest from an AK47 at relatively close range from a "sniper." Soldier takes a round, drops to the ground from the impact, scuffles around for 2-3 seconds then stands up and runs for cover.

God bless the armor that keeps our boys and girls safe on the front line! :patriot:

LawDog76

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Brownsburg
    why need some??? plates too ????? plate carriers???? Armor carriers??? side plates, front plates, rear plates, paper plates, china plates, All new plates. im might know a guy :D

deffinately LEGAL!!! and a great thing to have on hand. ya never know. i like to keep a vest hung over the front seat in my vehicle incase some jackball with road rage decides to take a pot shot at me through my trunk, also easy to sling on from there if i need it

You going to put on a demonstration similar to the one the president of 2nd Chance Body Armor put on? I tell ya, that guy has got some serious faith in his company's product.

Top Bottom