• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    A well trained "grey man" with a pistol tucked in the waistband will go further during shtf than a rifle toting operator.

:)

Fighter-Alien-With-Gun-Mask-Tattoo-Design-1.jpg

ram77

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 17, 2010
    In my opinion an AR is a well rounded rifle for long distance or close range if set up right. This being said it is good for defense or hunting. If it were me I'd have a well set up AR a pump shotgun with rifled barrel and a pistol. All of these have fairly easy to find ammo.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    one of my shtf rifles is my marlin 30-30 and possibly my marlin 1894 44 mag as well. I been looking at a ruger mini 30 to be used in that situation as well. as for 9mm carbines they are fun to shoot and low recoil for sure but as shtf rifle i look for more versatility and a 9mm rifle is kinda running out of gas padt 100 yards so I would say for a versatile all around shtf rifle i would stick to a 5.56/.223 rifle or bigger. Or even a lever action 3030 .

tacticalmaster45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 18, 2016
    Evansville
    I would definitely choose an AR in 556 due to its better long range performance than a 9mm. You should also consider spare parts and their prevalence - it will be much easier to find a spare 223/556 bolt assembly than that of 9mm. I would also argue that magazines would be easier to locate for a 223/556 than any 9mm AR mags (including Glock magazines)

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Since no one can tell me exactly that type of SHTF we might face, I would not be comfortable without a variety of firearms. You have to be ready for anything which requires lots of different firearms.

<see dear, just like I always tell you>

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Since no one can tell me exactly that type of SHTF we might face, I would not be comfortable without a variety of firearms. You have to be ready for anything which requires lots of different firearms.

<see dear, just like I always tell you>

Expat gets it.....

Like I am going to go into a SHTF situation without 9 K frame .22's from the 1930's thru the 1990's...Yeah right LOL....

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    I didn't read 10 pages of posts but short answer is yes if I'm picking 1 type of rifle. If you asked this question back in the 60's the answer may be different. But today the platform has become modular and the ability to set the gun up for cqb or long range is easy. Plus the 5.56 caliber is everywhere and mags for the platform are also everywhere. 5.56 is an effective intermediate cartridge. There's so many of these rifles floating around now that spare parts would be easy to find.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    Ar-15 is a versatile firearm. as high powered rifles go--it is on low end of the spectrum but it is adequate for fighting, killing game, etc. The small cartridge allows you to carry much ammo. Effective range is out to 500-600 max for man size targets but is best suited for 0-200 yards. It can be made compact. It is very common so there are parts available if needed and you can swap mag with other users of the same platform. They are easily serviceable and easy to repair/build with just a few specialized tools. I would say it is a good choice.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    So, let me see if I can recall the wording. An AR represents an "escalation of lethality". Sounds like just what we need for SHTF. But as suggested, a variety of lethality would be the best way to prepare.

Jimb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 11, 2012
    Cicero
    I personally think 7.62x39 or 308 is a better all purpose knock down rifle round for short to intermediate distances. However, if the poo ever actually hit fan....the lighter weight frames of the AR might prove to be more benificial.

Jimb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 11, 2012
    Cicero
    I think the action on say a mini 14, or mini 30 is much less finicky and more reliable. Agreed though....AR parts are all over....kind of like Chevy SB use to be. Ha!

Jimb

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 11, 2012
    Cicero
    I am a big fan of single shot. Mid break rifles, but if the crap flies....I would say my go-to's would the ol Garand and Mini 30

Top Bottom