is a 10-22 legal for hunting rabbits and squirrels?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blkbrd11XX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Carmel
    I was told last week that its illegal to hunt small game with a 10-22 rifle, by a man that was told this it, at a state sponsored gun safety course. I looked on the Indiana DNR site but only found info on hunting deer with a rifle.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    You can hunt them with just about anything. 10/22 with a suppressor is legal. AK-47 is legal. .50 BMG is legal but maybe not practical. Check the Indiana Code.

BTW. You CAN hunt deer in Indiana with a rifle. It just has to be in a caliber that is legal. There is a thread about it in the Ammo fourm.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Print up an official-looking sticker on your computer that says DNR Approved for small game and has a place to write in the Manufacturer's name and the gun's serial number.
    Be sure to write those in in blue ink. If he asks, tell him all official DNR documents are filled in with blue ink.
    Laminate the sticker and tape it to your stock on the right side (DNR Regulations).
    That should take care of it.

Blkbrd11XX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Carmel
    Print up an official-looking sticker on your computer that says DNR Approved for small game and has a place to write in the Manufacturer's name and the gun's serial number.
    Be sure to write those in in blue ink. If he asks, tell him all official DNR documents are filled in with blue ink.
    Laminate the sticker and tape it to your stock on the right side (DNR Regulations).
    That should take care of it.

lol!!

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    My dad didn't like the .22 for rabbit hunting because his friend was hit in the leg by a ricochet. They put a bar in his leg. Some time later he was struck by lightening and killed. Makes you think about getting slammed by a low land gorilla doesn't it? If I use a .22, I'm a little more careful due to the range over a shotgun.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Unfortunately, I've not had the time to small game hunt in some time.

In my younger days, I carried a .22 (Marlin 60) and a .410 shotgun. If it looked like I'd be gettin' 'em on the run, I'd get the .410 ready. If they're sittin' still, the .22.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Unfortunately, I've not had the time to small game hunt in some time.

In my younger days, I carried a .22 (Marlin 60) and a .410 shotgun. If it looked like I'd be gettin' 'em on the run, I'd get the .410 ready. If they're sittin' still, the .22.

That's why Savage used to make the Model 24 and now makes the Model 42.

I'm lucky enough to have an older Model 24 .22 over .410.:)

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    That's why Savage used to make the Model 24 and now makes the Model 42.

I'm lucky enough to have an older Model 24 .22 over .410.:)

I have a model 24 .22Lr/.410 as well. I think it could be the quintessential trainer for teaching youngsters to hunt small game.
    I wouldn't mind having a model 42, but I'll wait until the price comes down a little or buy one used.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'm gonna guess that the ol' timer in the OP's story wasn't sure what a 10/22 is or was. No big deal.

(Beside the point that anything and everything is legal in IN for rabbits and other small game)

Top Bottom