Is $30 about as good as its gonna get for an FFL nowadays?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    The FFL is also taking some risk when he does this for you...

Very true on what you have said. I also see it as pure profit for a dealer. The more they can do a week the better his or hers bank account will be. The dealer is not purchasing anything, all they are doing for the most part is receiving, logging in and then making a phone call and logging out.

Transfers are $25 in my neck of the woods.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Very true on what you have said. I also see it as pure profit for a dealer. The more they can do a week the better his or hers bank account will be. The dealer is not purchasing anything, all they are doing for the most part is receiving, logging in and then making a phone call and logging out.

Transfers are $25 in my neck of the woods.

Unless their time doesn't have any value associated with it, it's NOT pure profit. Pure profit would be if they didn't have to do anything and then still made money.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    The FFL is also taking some risk when he does this for you. Often he is receiving a firearm from someone he does not know, and selling it to someone he does not know. If there is a problem on either end, (even after the fact) he is answerable to the BATF. This liablity does not go away. You may have to answer for a transfer you made 10 years ago. Even if there is NO wrong doing on his part, he has to submit to ANY request made by the BATF, up to and including closing his business during the investigation. He has to eat any finacial loss that occurs during the investigation. Add the license fees, liability insurance, and record keeping, $30.00 is chump change. I turned away people who I just didn't trust who wanted to make transfers on firearms that I just didn't feel right about, even if they could have slipped through the NICS system. No one is getting rich making transfers.

I had to give up my license this May for health reasons after being a FFL since 1996. Having done thousands of transfers I realized early on most gun people do not have a clue what it takes to do a transfer from start to finish. A lot of FFL's don't do the proper math and charge way less then they should to make a reasonable profit for their investment of money, time and liability. If some FFL's don't want to put a real value on their services and charge $10 or $15 for a transfer that is their choice and a great deal for their customers. The BATF and the FBI set the rules for gun transfers and the FFL's just follow the required procedures and must come up with what they feel is fair reimbursement for their time and overhead. There is not a right or wrong price for doing a transfer; some people like to give their time away and some don't. People who are home based FFL's and consider their business a hobby and not a real business can give their time away; brick and mortar stores have to make a profit from someplace if they want to stay in business so if they are offering cheap transfers they believe they are making up that lost revenue thru additional sales of guns, ammo or accessories. People always looking for the cheapest prices usually buy on line, not at the local gun store so personally I don't believe loss leaders work today.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    If it was only a phone call, the dealers would only charge a couple bucks or do it for free.
    There is a lot more to it than a simple phone call.
    Also, just the phone call(s) part can take quite a bit of time away from other business!
    Sorry I'm calling bs on this!

u.s. defense supply knows what's up and cares about not taking advantage of their customers. $15 is fair and that's just one more reason they get my business. Just have them afew more hundred in business the other day. Also beech grove firearms is fair or was the last time i had a gun sent there. But from now on USDS gets all transfer business, plus they're a class 3 so you can't beat em

Top Bottom