• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yuwaix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    I am a new homeowner and just recently got my gun permit. I am looking for a firearm to protect my home and my family (since my dog would likely attempt to lick a robber to death). Price is a concern but I won't sacrifice reliability to get a larger caliber handgun. There are quite a few .22 handguns in my $250 price range but almost every forum I have read says that .22 is too small to stop someone breaking into my home. Is there that much difference in effectiveness between .22 and 9mm for example. Any constructive feedback is appreciated.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    A .22 is lethal. It will not dump enough energy for a reliable stop. That's the physics. However, it IS better than nothing and I would not want to face 25 rounds of .22lr from a 10-22 at close range.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    There is a lot of difference between 9mm and 22LR but..... a 22 will do in a pinch. I frequently only have a 22 in my pocket around the house or when walking the dog. I'd be more concerned about proper training and shot placement than caliber for starters. Use a 22 until you can afford something bigger. Also a good 22 is better than a cheap POS 9mm. :twocents:

Oh and :welcome: :ingo: :patriot:

Last edited:

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Welcome to INGO!

A 22 isn't bad - it's just that there are better options as far as caliber is concerned when you're trying to stop a threat.

$250 is low, but not impossible. I'd probably look at something like a Kel-Tec 9mm if you want something small, or a Ruger P-Series if you want a full-size. That's assuming used, you could get into a hi-point for that price new..

What kind of experience do you have?

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    I am a new homeowner and just recently got my gun permit. I am looking for a firearm to protect my home and my family (since my dog would likely attempt to lick a robber to death). Price is a concern but I won't sacrifice reliability to get a larger caliber handgun. There are quite a few .22 handguns in my $250 price range but almost every forum I have read says that .22 is too small to stop someone breaking into my home. Is there that much difference in effectiveness between .22 and 9mm for example. Any constructive feedback is appreciated.

I carry a .22 but keep a 9 in my bed stand. My only advice would be to use higher quality ammo. Bulk pack .22 increases the chance of a foul up. I shoot it at the range but will only carry with cci.

In short, if you ask 10 different people you'll get 10 different answers, good luck in whatever you decide.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I see a lot gentle answers here. And its true a .22 is better than nothing and shot placement is more important that caliber.

But try this experiment.

Get yourself two vicious pit bulls, proven man attackers. Now put one each in separate rooms. Go into the first one with a .44 magnum to protect yourself, see how many shots it takes to stop the bit bull from ripping your arm off. After you get bandaged up (assuming you didn't drop the pit bull before he started to maul you) go into the second room with a .22 handgun. This should prove to you the stopping power of the .22 over a more powerful caliber.

There is no magic bullet, guaranteed one shot drop. But the .22 would be the last choice. A .38 would be better than a .22 and you should be able to find a used .38 for around your price. You can even pick up a Kel-Tec PF9 for about your price new. Do yourself a favor and opt for something larger than a .22. Good Luck

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    It's all about shot placement anyway.
    A .22LR to the head will kill and a .45ACP to the leg will only wound your attacker.

The only problem with .22 semi-auto pistols is that they are not as reliable as a 9mm auto-pistol or even a .22 revolver.
    For that price you can maybe find some good 9mm pistols, maybe even used.
    But if all you can get is a .22 it's still better than nothing.
    I wouldn't want to get shot with one and if you point it at someone they are probably not going to look at the bore diameter and laugh seeing that it's only a .22, they're going to run away just like with any other firearm.

kyotekilr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    down wind
    Any gun is better than no gun. That is for sure. But I'm not sure about a .22. If u are not going to be an active shooter and u are just looking for something to sit in your night stand, I would get a stainless 357 revolver. My moms 38 sat in her underwear drawer for literally twenty years. I took it out and it shot all six rounds without a hitch. If it kicks too much you can always shoot 38 spcl out of the same gun. No need to buy a new gun as there are many used guns with a lot of life left in them.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    All handgun calibers suck but .22 REALLY sucks for defense.

My recommendation is 9mm. And training-- lots of training.

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    A .22 is not ideal, but as others have said, it can do the job. Having said that, for very near your price range, you can get a Ruger P Series (P95, most likely but maybe a used P89 or P93) in 9mm. They are built like tanks and large (reduces felt recoil). They are somewhat bulky, but they are a great bargain for the price.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Get a revolver, no smaller than 38 Special. .357 Mag is better. You can get a used Rossi in .357 with a 4 or 6 inch barrel for about $300 or so. Get the 6 incher and you have a hunting handgun. Revolvers don't jam. If I only had one handgun in the house, it would be a revolver and it would be .357 ...that way my wife can shoot it with some practice.

These are just my opinions. Frankly, if I only had one gun for home defense, it'd be a 12g pump.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You can always start with a 22.
    Practice.
    Get to a defensive pistol class and learn.
    Practice.
    Keep an eye on INGO, listen, evaluate.
    Practice.
    Meet with other people and try their guns.
    Then buy another gun, or trade in for another gun.
    Repeat as necessary.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Get a revolver, no smaller than 38 Special. .357 Mag is better. You can get a used Rossi in .357 with a 4 or 6 inch barrel for about $300 or so. Get the 6 incher and you have a hunting handgun. Revolvers don't jam. If I only had one handgun in the house, it would be a revolver and it would be .357 ...that way my wife can shoot it with some practice.

These are just my opinions. Frankly, if I only had one gun for home defense, it'd be a 12g pump.

:+1:

For $250 the OP can get a good quality shotgun with maybe even a good light. :yesway:

Plus you can even carry it outside your home without a licence. :D

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave

+1 on a 4" barrel .357Mag.
    The 12ga. may be a little "Heavy" on the recoil for the "Better Half"

:+1:

For $250 the OP can get a good quality shotgun with maybe even a good light. :yesway:

Plus you can even carry it outside your home without a licence. :D

Again a 20Ga. with slugs, or #3 or #4 Buckshot may be better for a "couple"??

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    ...Get a revolver... Revolvers don't jam.

I beg to differ.
    Revolvers are more reliable.
    But, most semi-autos problems can be cleared on the spot.
    When a revolver jams, its down for the count.
    Primers pushed back
    Timing off
    Hilliry Lock self engages.

And I'm sure there's more.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    +1 on a 4" barrel .357Mag.
    The 12ga. may be a little "Heavy" on the recoil for the "Better Half"

Again a 20Ga. with slugs, or #3 or #4 Buckshot may be better for a "couple"??

You can get 00 buckshot loads with reduced recoil for the 12 gauge.
    Also you're not going to shoot many times with a shotgun (unless you have multiple attackers) so recoil shouldn't be an issue even for the ladies.

Not that ladies cant handle the recoil with proper stance anyway.

:twocents:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I beg to differ.
    Revolvers are more reliable.
    But, most semi-autos problems can be cleared on the spot.
    When a revolver jams, its down for the count.
    Primers pushed back
    Timing off
    Hilliry Lock self engages.

And I'm sure there's more.

Yeah, whatever. I've fired 10,000 rounds or more through revolvers, and never once did any of them fail to cycle to the next round, I also haven't used many crappy guns, I mean what's the point? Granted, 95% or better of my revolver ammo has been commercially produced. Every gun will break eventually, but some take a lot longer than others. What the hell is a Hilliry lock?

If a round in a revolver goes FTF, you just pull the trigger again. Which is far easier for the wife to remember than trying to clear a FTF on a semi auto.

I own both kinds though, but the wife has wheel guns on her side of the room. She prefers them.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    if i were unaccustomed to defense weapons id go with a .38 +p.
    i personally prefer .357 but theyre a -handful- no pun intended. takes training to get used to the recoil in a small gun, and quite frankly with mag loads youll go deaf and blind if you fire it in the middle of the night in the hallway.

Top Bottom