• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    This makes a case for a left hand charging handle conversion :dunno: are there any downsides to it? I don't have any experience with it, but all I can see is more access for dirt and no option for side scope mount because it would hit the handle.

There's actually several left side charging handle mods for the AK. I think purest AK owners prefer the charging handle on the right side.

And these mods still allow for mounting of either the old fashion side rail attachment or a rail attached to the actual receiver

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OucgrOnOHS4
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nrhnjDLgk8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0YjB0xMXTg

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I wasn't referring to knocking the mag out with the incoming mag, rather how he held the rifle with the charging handle back, thus eliminating an extra step. I know its nothing ground breaking, I just hadn't seen it done before. I've spent a lot of time with the AR platform as of late, and am pretty slow in the rock'n'lock department. I've been spoiled with a bolt hold open mags that drop free, and a BAD lever, so anything that can speed up my reload and get me back on target with an AK seems worthy of mentioning.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    The reason why we don't see this kind of reload is because it DOESN'T WORK in practice. It doesn't eliminate a step. It adds a very annoying step, which means bracing the whole rifle against you in a very unsound way. It is incredibly impractical

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    I agree, it doesn’t eliminate a step it adds a step in switching hands, basically juggling the rifle to hold it in two different spots with the same hand, dominant hand holding the pistol grip and then the same hand holding the charging handle. This little juggle is stupid way to do a reload, well not stupid, just not very sound. It does get a point or two for creativity as he doesn't have to move his hand to rack the slide back since he was holding it earlier. Holding the bolt back and hoping the rifle doesn't slide out of your shoulder pocket under spring tension is dumb. If he was wearing armor or other gear he might not have much of a pocket to place the buttstock into anyway so just pulling the rifle into you with a couple fingers and not supporting it any other way since his free hand was grabbing the magazine isn't sound.

You've got two hands, use the dominant one to securely hold onto the rifle, and the free hand to remove the magazine, insert a new one and rack the charging handle. With practice you can probably become proficient at it without having to resort to unsafe ways at doing it.

Edit* Nice Plug for your ak below CPT Nervous!

Last edited:

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    I custom made my own left side charging handle. I love it. Kinda like the Lightning Bolt.

I love it. Plus all the other upgrades. Great rifle. It's for sale, you know...

Top Bottom