iPhone app "must haves" (A.K.A "Got it/Need it/Want it")

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    The best app I've found is _________.
    The added feature I use most is_________.
    The absolute coolest thing is__________.

What?!! JetGirl, you have to get the_________!!!!!

Ready, set, go.

Cpl. Klinger

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    The 4077th
    The best app I've found is Pandora. I listen to it a lot when around the house working on stuff on my iPod.
    The added feature I use the most is my iCloud calendar. I would be lost without it.
    The absolute coolest thing is Siri. Look online and you'll find all kinds of neat tricks you can make her do.

What?!! JetGirl, you have to get the Candy Crush!!

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Great post! I'll be checking back. In the meantime:

U.S. Constitution
    Shot Timer (the one that has a target as it's icon; the other one doesn't work as well)
    Convertbot
    Knots3D
    5-0 Radio (scanner)
    Personal Cap (financial)
    Subway Map (I keep New York and Chicago loaded)
    Sun King Finder

ETA: I'd love to see a well populated and referenced reloading app

Last edited:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    The best app I've found is __Kindle___.
    The added feature I use most is __Kindle/Amazon__.
    The absolute coolest thing is __access to email without being tied to a computer__.

What?!! JetGirl, you have to get __Minion Rush___!!!!!
    Now that they have given the Kindle app as much functionality as the device, it's even better. I also get a lot of use out of a meal planning/recipe/local grocery store sales app. And a scheduling app for our homeschool days to keep the boys on track. But I am still a pen-and-paper fan when it comes to planning and organizing so calendars and the like are not used for me.

Dolton916

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Mar 31, 2012
    Porter County
    First, jailbreak until then nothing else matters...
    Navigon, US and Mexico, I drive a LOT
    Gasbuddy,See above
    Camera+, Has a great zoom feature.
    Quasar, lets you open multiple apps in a windows type architecture.
    Urban Spoon, I drive a lot..
    Range Finder, I really drive a lot!
    Face Crypt, uses your face as your password via facial recognition.

oh and of course CandyCrush...for when I'm not driving

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Got it.

iCloud calendar.
    Got it.

Got it.

5-0 Radio (scanner)
    Need it.

Seriously?? WTH is Candy Crush?? I see annoying pops for it ALL the time, and it was hijacking INGO for awhile.

88GT said:
    Minion Rush
    Looking into that! :):

k12lts

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Jackson County
    Check out Sky View. Let's you identify stars, planets and constilations in the sky. Will even show the International Space Station.

Cool way to spend some time outside at night.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Seriously?? WTH is Candy Crush?? I see annoying pops for it ALL the time, and it was hijacking INGO for awhile.

Candy Crush is a Bejeweled "match 3" clone with some differences, most notably that it forces you to stop playing periodically unless you pay for extra turns. The game is ridiculously popular right now.

My most-used apps lately are Plex, DSCloud, and DSPhoto, but I recently put a Synology NAS in my house to make it easier to stream my media to my phone so those apps won't be useful for you.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    The best app I've found is: PFR (Pathfinder Reference Document)... but I guess it helps if you play Pathfinder.
    GoodReader is also extremely... good... for storing and managing PDF documents.

The added feature I use most is: Podcasts, hands down.

The absolute coolest thing is: the rapid-fire shutter for the camera.

What?!! JetGirl, you have to get the: Echofon for the Twitters!!!!!

I have a bunch of apps that I use only in very narrow circumstances, like Uber, which is my favorite way to get around San Francisco, and Nest, which manages my thermostats, and Speedtest, which I use to gripe at my ISP for not giving me the bandwidth I'm paying for.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Kindle
    Google Maps
    Key Ring
    WeatherBug

Those are probably my most used, non-specific situation apps.

I also use the Roku app, PNC Virtual Wallet app, and the Netflix app fairly often.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Minion Rush is cute but it tries REALLY hard to sell you things between each level. It's amazingly annoying. If you like the game type, you can try Temple Run and Temple Run 2. They're the "originals", so to speak. They still have micropayments, but it's not anywhere near as in-your-face.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    OK, that right there is an addictive little sucker.
    If you're at all OCD, you might want to set up some rules for play and/or time limits. The need to hit the next achievement/mission/etc can be like a crack addiction.

Minion Rush is cute but it tries REALLY hard to sell you things between each level. It's amazingly annoying. If you like the game type, you can try Temple Run and Temple Run 2. They're the "originals", so to speak. They still have micropayments, but it's not anywhere near as in-your-face.
    I've not had that problem. At all. There's one pop-up add when you first load the game, but that's it. The shop gives you opportunities to purchase more tokens, bananas, costumes, but it's not an annoying screen every time that you have to actively click out of.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    They may have changed it. I played it when it first came out. It was crashy, but I quit because I got tired of being hounded to buy, link to facebook, etc. literally at the end of every level. Yes, it was annoying screen that you had to actively click out of. I just wanted to play. I'm glad to hear it's apparently been removed.

Swim404

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    ATL
    If you are required to do expense reports for work then Genius Scan is a game changer. I take pictures of my receipts and hotel/flight documents to neatly organize them and fax in. SlideShark is also an extremely cool work presentation app if you research how to use it between your iPhone/iPad/laptop.

Other than that I'd recommend GroupMe for group text messages.

Cldedhnds

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 17, 2013
    Hendricks
    Check out Sky View. Let's you identify stars, planets and constilations in the sky. Will even show the International Space Station.

Cool way to spend some time outside at night.

This is is very cool! Gyroscopic as you point your phone/iPad in any direction and the screen identifies what you are seeing.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Another cool AR-type app is WordLens. I have it, just don't have much occasion to use it. It is freaky cool though.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    GoodReader is also extremely... good... for storing and managing PDF documents.
    +1

i find gooodreader to be the best utility app and I use it often. However, I use it only on my iPad and for my company manuals. It is the best app that I have found to handle PDFs.

Top Bottom