• ...and so much more!
  • HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    Asking an honest question.

for all the “trump can’t win the general election “ crowd, how does DeSantis win the general when he can only pull 14-15% of the Republican vote that are supposed to be his team? Are there a large percentage of Democrats, 30-40% that will vote for him?
    The Trump question and DeSantis question are very different.

DeSantis is clearly not able to connect with people and get his message across effectively enough. He didn’t get what he needed last night, IMO. The idea that he can only get 14-15% doesn’t mean he would only get that in a general. Trump was ~30% in Iowa in 2016 and still carried 90+% of Republicans in the Fall. He would still be competitive in the Fall, but I think the 45Mil dumped to bash him has been somewhat effective. Looking at the counties where he did well, it would look like he could perform with the moderates in the general. But he wasn’t Trumpy enough to pull Trump folks and Haley outperformed with moderates, so his numbers are weak and his path looks pretty impossible from here.

Trump captured the vote of half the Republicans, big numbers in the rural counties, and has the easiest path forward. He still has half the party voting against a previous President and a good bit of those based on polling find him too repugnant to vote for.
    Yes, he won the caucus, but Lake, Bolduc, and Mastriano also won primaries with the Trump brand. He still has a year of J6 commercials, post-election lie commercials, and trials as headwinds. His VP pick better be super appealing, super moderate, and super squeaky clean If he has any chance of moving to and winning the middle.

I still think Haley is the “best” candidate to win the General.

HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    This steamroller victory is the signal that they're not gonna win by propping up Haley in the media and trying to manipulate the Republican primary. Trump is more popular than ever.

The desperate moves are coming, they'll just be scheduled late enough in the year to ensure nobody else in the primary field can rally. The Big Cheat is coming. I don't even think the A word is off the table, the Term 2 meltdown will make 2016 look like a picnic.
    More popular than ever?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

HKFaninCarmel

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 7, 2019
    Carmel
    What a garbage poll lol. They're trying to measure, what, emotional feels toward a word?

Actual votes matter. Trump just racked up more than every other candidate combined.
    Why is it garbage? DMR notoriously polls Iowa better than anyone else.

There’s some interesting trends in that poll.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

DeSantis is clearly not able to connect with people and get his message across effectively enough. He didn’t get what he needed last night, IMO. The idea that he can only get 14-15% doesn’t mean he would only get that in a general. Trump was ~30% in Iowa in 2016 and still carried 90+% of Republicans in the Fall. He would still be competitive in the Fall, but I think the 45Mil dumped to bash him has been somewhat effective. Looking at the counties where he did well, it would look like he could perform with the moderates in the general. But he wasn’t Trumpy enough to pull Trump folks and Haley outperformed with moderates, so his numbers are weak and his path looks pretty impossible from here.

Trump captured the vote of half the Republicans, big numbers in the rural counties, and has the easiest path forward. He still has half the party voting against a previous President and a good bit of those based on polling find him too repugnant to vote for.
    Yes, he won the caucus, but Lake, Bolduc, and Mastriano also won primaries with the Trump brand. He still has a year of J6 commercials, post-election lie commercials, and trials as headwinds. His VP pick better be super appealing, super moderate, and super squeaky clean If he has any chance of moving to and winning the middle.

I see this election's importance as restoring America to its values, restoring rule of law, or at least as close as we used to be. It's far more important than merely Republicans defeating Democrats. It's also America-first candidates beating ClownWorld™ candidates.

Haley's attraction among voters is mostly with people who don't care to put America-first. She's an establishment clown. I'd rather not have to vote for Trump, but even if all the things about him are true, and even if he's too stupid to figure out how to actually make America great again, he at least wants to. So a Trump presidency becomes a roadblock to the democrat/neocon establishment. If it's all we can get, I'll take at least that.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    More popular than ever?
    I don't think it's popular per se. It's just down to a choice between Trump and ClownWorld™. Some people are eager to vote for Trump. Some people just have to hold their noses. What did the polls say about caucusgoers' opinions about DeSantis or Haley?

In the most populated district in Iowa Haley had a huge showing, but people are generally more liberal in denser populations, and 1/4 of the caucusgoers were democrats who switched over to vote Haley in the GOP caucus, in obedience for the DNC marching orders. It's not because they want Haley to be the president.

If Haley did win the GOP, those democrats who flipped to vote for her will drop her like a used rubber. They only flipped to vote in GOP to screw with elections as requested.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn

Unfortunately haley is a communist that believes in the government keeping tabs on you.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    What is the left so scared of?

Do they really believe that MAGA is a bad thing?

Why do does the left try to demonize regular people?

This leftist talk about the end of “Democracy” they have educated people. We have a Republic not a Democracy that is a system of governance could not be maintained in such a large Country IMO.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom