• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierglock40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2014
    Indianapolis
    My girlfriend is going to be purchasing her first handgun in the coming weeks, and is wanting to begin carrying. She will be getting a quality holster and belt to go with it. She already has her LTCH and I have drilled into her brain the responsibility that comes with it. She has been to the range with me and shot my handguns several times, but I think she could use some more help getting used to her new firearm before she starts carrying. I want to get her into a firearms safety class and/or self defense class but was wondering if you all had any suggestions on a good class in the indianapolis/columbus area? I also want to get her more acquainted with indiana law, and am looking for a good book that she could read to get more informed on laws and self defense. (I would just suggest her to get on INGO but she's not much into the online forum thing).
    Also lots and lots of ammo to send down range! :rockwoot:

Any other suggestions from people who have gone through this before?

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    It's not really focused on the legal aspects of carrying, but I would suggest a book called The Cornered Cat by Kathy Jackson.

It's written for women considering or starting the journey toward carrying. It addresses many concerns or issues you won't be able to help her with.

hoosierglock40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Thanks for the suggestions so far guys keep them coming. Any drills I could have her do that would be helpful for a newbie? I have my range routine but it's a bit different since it is for work.

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    INGO member VERT is leading an NRA Personal Protection In The Home course on September 13th in Elizabethtown (just South of C'bus)... The course has a thread HERE and will qualify for the FL non-resident license, if you had considered carry in Ohio.

I encourage you to contact him to see if this will meet your / her needs.

tge45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 14, 2011
    Allen CO
    Both of you are preparing the right way. Simple thing also is carrying constantly in the house to get used to the feel of the pistol on her hip.

Ruger-9mm

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2014
    Out and about
    Thanks for the suggestions so far guys keep them coming. Any drills I could have her do that would be helpful for a newbie? I have my range routine but it's a bit different since it is for work.

Just for kicks, every so often when we go to the range (after we're there a while), I'll slip a SnapCap into a mag and do a drill of clearing the round. Or lay the other mag on the bench and have her swap in the middle of the current mag to simulate a bad mag.

Top Bottom