• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    In practice, the primary use of guns is murder. Maybe they should ban them.

Strawman. Not even close to correct. Over a billion rounds of ammunition are sold every year. 80 million guns in private hands. Less that 2,000 killings involving guns every year. Your bias exposes you.

Your logic throws the baby out with the bathwater. But why not, government is just trying to make America safe from pirates and terrorists. It has nothing to do with grabbing more power. Slippery slope? Never heard of it.

More strawmen. The anarchist in you slips through more and more. If you can't see that it is about stealing and not about power grabbing, then I don't know what to tell you.

Don't you think it would be a little more logical to go after the individuals who stole something, instead of seizing entire websites?

I think it's more logical to close the means of distribution of stolen property, then catch the people engaged in its distribution, then chase each thief.

It just said "I disagree." :dunno:

Luckily I could give a flip. :ingo:

That's a dumb reason to neg rep someone. Who was it? We'll all neg rep him at the same time.

Maybe I was wrong. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    Sounds like the same line of reasoning the gun grabbers use. There is no legitimate use for EBRs, they are only designed to kill people.

not --sounds like-- IS. i swear,,,gun owners would be ---SCREWED--- if the arguments gun owners make against so many things were used back at gun owners...

The gov is trying to keep the real Operation Dark Heart from getting out... shutting down torrents is a good way start closing the spigots on printed material...

how does the gov even get jurisdiction over websites??? .com doesnt mean US,,,the Internet is international...

cositc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Martinsville
    Add the word censorship to the list of words you don't understand the meaning of.

I suppose you think theft is a victimless crime the government should be powerless to prevent? Did you just get your Friday night entertainment source cut off? Or are you just trolling to rile people up?

Here's a link that works. Good for protecting the property of others from thieves.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/27/technology/27torrent.html?_r=1&ref=technology

Thes sites you listed exist and cater solely to sharing stolen property. Yes you can find links to pirated music and movies using Google and Yahoo!, but locating stolen property is incident to their services. They also have takedown procedures per the DMCA. They aren't remotely the same thing.

No not at all and the simple fact that you belive, that the only thing on torrent sites are pirated music and movies, just goes to show you dont know what you are talking about.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    not --sounds like-- IS. i swear,,,gun owners would be ---SCREWED--- if the arguments gun owners make against so many things were used back at gun owners...

The gov is trying to keep the real Operation Dark Heart from getting out... shutting down torrents is a good way start closing the spigots on printed material...

how does the gov even get jurisdiction over websites??? .com doesnt mean US,,,the Internet is international...

Gun owners would only be screwed if no one understood the red herring fallacy, had no concept of logic or reasoning and generally lacked critical thinking skills. Anyone who thinks the red herring actually flys might let a philosophy class be their friend.

Closing down a torrent is a good way to "start closing the spigots on printed material"? :dunno::rolleyes::dunno: Wouldn't confiscating printers be a better way to prevent printed material?

And finally, the .com domain extension was established by Congress and is administered by ICANN on behalf of the Department of Commerce. The rules regulating how .com sites are administered are contained in federal law, Department of Commerce regulations, ICANN rules and procedures. When you register a .com you submit to US jusrisdiction.

If these torrent sites want to operate outside US jurisdiction, they need only get a non-US administered domain extension (.cc, .ru, .cn - all those countries that think theft is OK.)

No not at all and the simple fact that you belive, that the only thing on torrent sites are pirated music and movies, just goes to show you dont know what you are talking about.

Yeah, I'm totally confused by all the evidence, court decisions and case law.

GPD177

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    Shutting down a website that deal in stolen property (real or intellectual) is no different that your local law enforcement shutting down a auto repair shop that has a chop shop in the back. Theft is theft no matter how you may commit it.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    dude, seriously? you know that 95% of all torrents are used for the piracy of copyrighted material.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    Gun owners would only be screwed if no one understood the red herring fallacy, had no concept of logic or reasoning and generally lacked critical thinking skills. Anyone who thinks the red herring actually flys might let a philosophy class be their friend.

What you said was,,,that the government can ban anything,,,whose primary use is bad...

Using your logic,,,whether guns or legal,,,comes down to a simple math problem...

you dont ground your ethics in principle,,,you make an empirical determination of each question...

you did the same thing in the rights vs. privileges discussion... you look first to consequences,,not to principles...

By your logic,,,if most gun owners were bad,,,you could take guns away

Yeah, I'm totally confused by all the evidence, court decisions and case law.

court decisions and case law are two ways of saying the same thing...

plus,,,what some court says that is paid off or pressured to say a certain thing doesnt impress me much...

Ill gladly talk about right and wrong,,,and a court decision is not proof of any moral truth,,,unless the courts reasoning is correct

Last edited:

cositc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Martinsville
    dude, seriously? you know that 95% of all torrents are used for the piracy of copyrighted material.

It dose not matter what most torrents are. The fact that they shut down torrent-finder.com because they let you search for torrents is just not right. Now you should notice that im not standing up for the rest of the sites that hosted it, just the search site.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    It dose not matter what most torrents are. The fact that they shut down torrent-finder.com because they let you search for torrents is just not right. Now you should notice that im not standing up for the rest of the sites that hosted it, just the search site.
    but does that site facilitate the act?

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    if i'm with a friend who is shoplifting and i am helping him by pointing him in the direction of the good merchandise, knowing he is going to steal it, am i not an accomplice?

cositc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Martinsville
    if i'm with a friend who is shoplifting and i am helping him by pointing him in the direction of the good merchandise, knowing he is going to steal it, am i not an accomplice?

Now you are trying to say that all torrents are just pirated, that is just wrong. This is more like showing somebody how to get to a store that ask you for directions.

cositc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Martinsville
    I'm just saying for every 1 ligit torrent, there are 4000 that are not

I agree but the site that im defending only let you look for what you wanted and it was all left up to your own responibilty of what you looked up and what you downloaded. Thus i dont see where that site broke any laws at all.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    accomplice

One who knowingly, voluntarily, and with common intent unites with the principal offender in the commission of a crime. One who is in some way concerned or associated in commission of crime; partaker of guilt; one who aids or assists

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    it's fair to say that the site "aids or assists" in copyright infringement. i understand that you as an individual are responsible for what you download, which is why you can only be prosecuted for copyright infringement if you steal something that is copyrighted. if it is not, your in the clear

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom