• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I’ve got a reason to brag today... According to the charts, a BMI < 25 is considered a “normal” weight. With today’s “official” weigh in, my BMI=24.9. I’m officially, “normal”! :D :laugh: :lmfao:

Nice! I would be curious if mine has changed any.
    I'd love to see 29 after being over 30 for a looooong time.
    It has been 33-34 (or more at my worst) "forever" since I became a "fatty."
    I remember around the late 20s lowering it from 14% (thought I was tubby!) down to 10% in 4 months b/c I started doing long distance running just for fitness.
    Kept it up for years before working 2 jobs started.
    Oh, to be young!

I have had great success this week at great cost of being hungry. :laugh:
    My goal (5th one in this 17 week journey) for 12 weeks has been to get down to 220. (started at 232#)

I will finally made it this week and have to make another goal (my 6th), although I think the 5th goal of 220 is 2 meals away from ruin.
    Every day this week I have met my goal of staying at 220#, of which I have hungered for (pun intended.) :laugh:
    It has been decades since this happened.

SN = 217 (artificially low after a 42 hr. fast on Saturday)
    M = 219
    T = 220
    W = 220
    R = 219
    F = 218
    ST = 218

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Reality check this week: went backwards AGAIN. :dunno:
    7/7 days last week in getting to 220 = success!
    2/7 days this week getting to 220 = failure.

13 weeks with Goal 5 of getting to 220.
    18 weeks since beginning journey starting at 232.

I've made some good choices: went to Olive Garden and didn't have 1 lousy bread stick & got pasta made with cauliflower.
    I was very proud of myself.
    But, my "good" choices for such little pounds shedding using carb-cycling & intermittent fasting after 18 weeks is torturous.

On a positive note, this chart below (I have 3 :dunno:) is encouraging in the overall picture:

Days under 220# in 2020: 13
    Feb. = 9 (as of 2/15)
    Jan. = 4

Days under 220# in 2019: 6
    Dec. = 5
    Nov. = 1
    Jan. - Oct. = 0

Days under 220# in 2018: 0
    Jan. - Dec. = 0

Days under 220# in 2017: 6
    Dec. = 1
    Nov. = 5
    Jan. - Oct. = 0

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I was looking forward to my 4 month blood test to get my A1C results but it was canceled last week.
    I went down to 5.9 last time & I've not been that but twice since they started testing a decade ago.
    I was eager to see if I could beat that 5.9: it would have been a great victory for me.

I was trying to fight my battle to keep under 220#, since I though I'd conquered the under 225# battle.
    WRONG: I blinked, and had to start fighting the "under 225" battle again this month.
    I'm really back where I was in January 2020: bummer.
    And, that is while still being careful with my carb intake: at least, that's my story.
    I've always said 2 "good" meals in a row = disaster!

I was determined to have some progress this week.
    I had quit writing down my daily calories/carbs (in an app called MyFitnessPal), but got back to that Sunday.

I went to bed really hungry last night b/c I was determined not to eat anything after supper.
    No wine, no walnuts, pecans or peanuts.
    Or apple/banana for fiber. (That will catch up with me)
    I've been trying to deal with the strange concept of "portions."

It has been encouraging to drop 2# every day for the past 3 days, not sustainable, but encouraging, nonetheless.
    We'll see how my approach of not doing a carb-cycling of having no/low, medium (130) & high (240) carb days, but
    just staying under 100 carbs & around 1500 calories per day.

Wednesday 03/24/2020
    220#

Tuesday 03/23/2020
    1500 calories
    80 carbs
    222#

Monday 03/22/2020:
    1500 calories
    93 carbs
    224#

Sunday 03/22/2020:
    1500 calories
    88 carbs
    226#

Days total under 220# in 2020: 12
    March = 3
    Feb. = 5
    Jan. = 4

I try to take encouragement when I check my app for past years in January:
    243 = 2016
    235 = 2107
    230 = 2018
    234 = 2019
    222 = 2020

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    It can be a frustrating row to hoe when you get stuck on a plateau. My goal was 180 pounds at one time. Then I decided to stretch to 175 so I co7ld be sure and stay within the recommended weight for my height. If I’d stuck with the first goal, I’d have met it almost a month ago. Man, those last 5 pounds...they might just not be meant to be. :)

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    It can be a frustrating row to hoe when you get stuck on a plateau. My goal was 180 pounds at one time. Then I decided to stretch to 175 so I co7ld be sure and stay within the recommended weight for my height. If I’d stuck with the first goal, I’d have met it almost a month ago. Man, those last 5 pounds...they might just not be meant to be. :)

My getting under 220 is as hard as when I would get under 180 back 40 years ago.:dunno:
    I have been weeks and weeks trying to get under 220 just wake up one day and find out I was over 225 again.
    The truth of what you’re saying certainly does not escape me!

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This Dr is a huge proponent of intermittent fasting. His new vid on carnivore on a budget. I think of Dr Berry every time I buy 10/10 cheap hotdogs.

[video=youtube;EGnfoD35m6c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGnfoD35m6c[/video]

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    This Dr is a huge proponent of intermittent fasting. His new vid on carnivore on a budget. I think of Dr Berry every time I buy 10/10 cheap hotdogs.

[video=youtube;EGnfoD35m6c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EGnfoD35m6c[/video]

Thanks for posting: a wealth of information! :thumbsup:

Last edited:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Progress, and now: lack thereof:

Started at 232
    225 & under = it took 6/28 weeks. :)
    220 & above = it took 16/28 weeks. :D
    220 & under = it took week 17-19 (end of January, beginning of February). :rockwoot:

225 & under again = since week 23-28. :wallbash:

I'm still fighting: with the lack of activity, imagine where I'd be if I had given up?! :dunno:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I fast (36-40 hrs.) on the 1st of every month for all the reasons fasting is good for you.
    Unfortunately, the reality check is 6# heavier than 2 months ago. :dunno:

I've been under 220 after fasting since last December with a low of 216.
    I was 222 this am. :ugh:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    The last 11 days I have had a low of 220 and highs of 222.
    Tomorrow I'll be under 220, the first time in 2 months.
    I hope to keep it under 220 for more than the usual of 1-3 days.

I've been using liquids-only for meal substitutes, and occasionally an all day of liquids-only.
    Protein mixes, vegetable broths, V-8 juice and etc. are my friend: much easier than fasting.
    This has helped me break the 225 set point that I've been stuck on.
    Been working hard on it since middle of April.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    The last 11 days I have had a low of 220 and highs of 222.
    Tomorrow I'll be under 220, the first time in 2 months.
    I hope to keep it under 220 for more than the usual of 1-3 days.

I've been using liquids-only for meal substitutes, and occasionally an all day of liquids-only.
    Protein mixes, vegetable broths, V-8 juice and etc. are my friend: much easier than fasting.
    This has helped me break the 225 set point that I've been stuck on.
    Been working hard on it since middle of April.

At the risk of sounding critical (which I don’t mean to be), I think I’d try something different. I mean this in the most helpful way possible as my patience would have likely given out a long time ago. I realize what worked for me might not work for you but... is IF working?

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    At the risk of sounding critical (which I don’t mean to be), I think I’d try something different.
    I mean this in the most helpful way possible as my patience would have likely given out a long time ago.
    I realize what worked for me might not work for you but... is IF working?

Good question. Good point!
    That is why I quit doing a strict "carb-cycling" (low, medium & high carb days) b/c it stopped working effectively after a few weeks.
    It got me down from 232 down to 222, then I started creeping up again.

Combining the intermittent-fasting, low carbs days & liquids only (for meals or even an entire day) has gotten me down to under 220 which is where I want to stay.
    I'm determined to stay under 220 by the 1st of the year.
    Liquids only be my friend.
    I thought it would happen must faster, but things like not going to the gym daily for some light exercise starting in March really slowed my progress.

Been doing this combination for about 2 weeks and got down from the 225-226 to 220-222.
    This am I was 216: 1st time since Dec. 2019.
    No bread with my eggs this am, ha!

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I finally reached my goal weight of 175lbs, somewhere around the first week of April. (Maybe the 2nd week). From November of 2018 until then, I’ve lost over 150lbs. Like I said, what worked for me might not work for anyone else. But the only thing I went to 0 on was stuff with refined sugars in it. (With the exception of slice of pie or cake at Christmas and Thanksgiving). I reduced carbs to no more than 24g per meal (I think it was). It was a sort of “dirty keto”, I guess you’d call it. I still ate a piece of low calorie toast for breakfast every morning. I’d still eat a few pieces of potato and pasta, here and there.

The key I think was trying to stay under 1500 calories per day. I know many folks roll their eyes and even some say that’s a starvation diet. But you do get used to it. You just eat less of everything and try to lighten up on the carbs as best you can.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I finally reached my goal weight of 175lbs, somewhere around the first week of April. (Maybe the 2nd week).
    From November of 2018 until then, I’ve lost over 150lbs.
    Like I said, what worked for me might not work for anyone else.
    But the only thing I went to 0 on was stuff with refined sugars in it. (With the exception of slice of pie or cake at Christmas and Thanksgiving).
    I reduced carbs to no more than 24g per meal (I think it was).
    It was a sort of “dirty keto”, I guess you’d call it.
    I still ate a piece of low calorie toast for breakfast every morning.
    I’d still eat a few pieces of potato and pasta, here and there.

The key I think was trying to stay under 1500 calories per day.
    I know many folks roll their eyes and even some say that’s a starvation diet.
    But you do get used to it.
    You just eat less of everything and try to lighten up on the carbs as best you can.

:wow: Totally impressive! You are an awesome example for the likes of me! :dunno:
    My wife is a flaming diabetic, very brittle, so she has been trying to teach me eat correctly.
    She took me off drinking 2 glasses of milk, and 4-5 slices of bread with my meals years ago.
    I quite drinking soda decades ago & not even diet drinks years ago.
    All that started before a couple of years ago when I lost down to under 220 for a minute.

Putting into practice your 24g of carbs per meal is HUGE.
    If I have a day where I'm under 100 carbs, I feel good about it, & will have 50 carbs on a no/low carb day since even raw veggies have their fair share of carbs.

1500 calories a day is so disciplined.
    I stay under 2000 (goal), but 1500 would be sooo much better.

I just had 6 eggs & 5 pieces of uncured Turkey bacon with a pile of salsa for breakfast = 750 calories/9 carbs.
    I think we've identified the problem. :ugh:
    Usually I have "only" 4 eggs/4 slices of bacon. I was rewarding myself for a 38 hr. fast.

My choices for a slurge for breakfast on Saturdays (after my weekly weigh-in):
    - a slice of Oregon Trail Cinnamon & Raisin bread: 190 calories/38 carbs.
    - English muffin with cream cheese.
    - Healthy grain/whole wheat cereals (lots of carbs, though!)

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    :wow: Totally impressive! You are an awesome example for the likes of me! :dunno:
    My wife is a flaming diabetic, very brittle, so she has been trying to teach me eat correctly.
    She took me off drinking 2 glasses of milk, and 4-5 slices of bread with my meals years ago.
    I quite drinking soda decades ago & not even diet drinks years ago.
    All that started before a couple of years ago when I lost down to under 220 for a minute.

Putting into practice your 24g of carbs per meal is HUGE.
    If I have a day where I'm under 100 carbs, I feel good about it, & will have 50 carbs on a no/low carb day since even raw veggies have their fair share of carbs.

1500 calories a day is so disciplined.
    I stay under 2000 (goal), but 1500 would be sooo much better.

I just had 6 eggs & 5 pieces of uncured Turkey bacon with a pile of salsa for breakfast = 750 calories/9 carbs.
    I think we've identified the problem. :ugh:
    Usually I have "only" 4 eggs/4 slices of bacon. I was rewarding myself for a 38 hr. fast.

My choices for a slurge for breakfast on Saturdays (after my weekly weigh-in):
    - a slice of Oregon Trail Cinnamon & Raisin bread: 190 calories/38 carbs.
    - English muffin with cream cheese.
    - Healthy grain/whole wheat cereals (lots of carbs, though!)

Being an engineer, I like data and tracking stuff. :D So, I downloaded the MyFitnessPal app to track my intake and another one that escapes me at the moment to track exercise calories. They sync up so it’s easy to see how I’m doing. The MFP app can read bar codes on foods so you don’t have to enter a lot of stuff manually.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I'm pumped!
    I was 216 this am, 1st time in 6 months and I usually gain a couple of pounds after a 36-40 hr. fast the 1st day after, then another pound or two gain in the next couple of days after that before I level off.
    Before Dinner, I weighed myself and was 214: 1st time in years!
    I think I can be 216 in the am again: 2 days in a row, which I haven't done in decades.
    New ground: maybe I'm actually now going to be able to fight under 220 like I've been wanting to do for 2 yrs.+

By the way, I did 1650 calories today and 125 carbs: not as good as your 1500 calories & 25 carbs per meal (75 per day)..

Last edited:

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    Chewed from about 16 to 18 then smoked to about age 35. Then I switched back to chewing. I'm 44 this year and I quit last year using the patches. Been gaining as weight also and just bought an exercise bike off Amazon. So we'll see how that goes.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Chewed from about 16 to 18 then smoked to about age 35. Then I switched back to chewing. I'm 44 this year and I quit last year using the patches. Been gaining as weight also and just bought an exercise bike off Amazon. So we'll see how that goes.

I was quite the exersice nut when younger and even up to my 50s, but I discovered early on I couldn't exercise my way to burning the calories of my younger days.
    That said, when exercising regularly, it can get you motivated to choose better what you're eating before you get so old you have to cut back on all the foods you like. :D
    In my case: breads, ice cream, the usual basic carb foods.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    New success. Just a little. But, I'll take it.
    Last 4 of 5 days in the "teens," (under 220).

First time in decades staying under 220 that long. I'm pumped.
    Hopefully, I'll be strong & stay focused this next week & not get discouraged "when" I get to 221 or 222 AGAIN.

When I hit 220-221 (again), I intend to use my "liquids only" approach to "jar" the system so as not to creep back up # by #.
    I did enjoy 2 beers after yard work, & sipped some wine during the evening like I enjoy doing but had refrained this past week.

Top Bottom