• ...and so much more!
  • doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    B/C I have a blood test in a month, and my 1st of the month all-day fasting only puts me under 230#s for a few days, I'm determined to increase my days per month that I'm under 230#.
    My son has been having great success with the carb-cycling so I'm going to use that for some momentum to get and STAY under 230# (like I was from May 2017 to August 2018, then started having trouble again).
    He started out at 205# & is down to 190#, and thinks he can get down to 170# again (was 155 before got married 2.5 yrs. ago).
    He & his wife came over Sunday after Church and it was his "low" carb day, so I grilled grilled Chicken Shish Kabobs, with green beans on the side.
    He didn't eat the sweet potato & saved his Mom's healthy cookies to take home for a "high" carb day.
    Great example for his old man.

I started Sunday, the 13th with the "medium" day since I had the sweet potato. :dunno:
    I didn't start with the "low" carb day, but "medium" b/c my son didn't explain it to me until after lunch. :(
    It is a mix of Low, Medium & High carb days (a protein & fats schedule as well, but I'm really only concerned about the carbs).
    Sequence in a week is: L -L- M - H - L - M

This will mean bread, pasta & beer (has 25g of carbs.!) will be monitored instead of just "watched." :dunno:
    My favorite Oregon Trail Cinnamon & Raisin bread has 25 carbs in 1 slice!
    Since fasting is my default weight-loss approach, monitoring carbs in something I've been doing when not a fasting day, it's just lately I've just been "watching" them. :laugh:
    I'll finally have to deal with that word my wife mentions: "portions."

leftyM4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2019
    Oregon City
    It has helped me maintain a consistent weight. I lost some but only to a point I think the point being not to just eat as much as you want after a certain time but to narrow that time frame and make sure to not eat to close to bed time (old school rule). Trying to do the keto or adkins style diet caused me to get gout which is extremely painful comes from eating too much meat long term.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I was walking on the beach today with my son and my wife thought a random guy was walking with him. She was getting annoyed and worried. Then realized I was just a bit more fit looking :rockwoot:

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I was walking on the beach today with my son and my wife thought a random guy was walking with him. She was getting annoyed and worried. Then realized I was just a bit more fit looking :rockwoot:

Funniest thing I've heard all day! :lmfao:

I'm envious! I think the days of my wife taking a 2nd look are gone.
    Even when I was young with hair and muscles, she wasn't that impressed, but fortunately, she thought I was smart. :laugh:
    I went and visited some friends this summer I hadn't seen in a couple of years and they were impressed that I'd lost a few pounds, and I had gained 5#s of that back!

leftyM4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2019
    Oregon City
    Hey have any of you guys do the intermittent fasting noticed unwanted hair growth? I have never had chest or back hair but since starting this I have had hair started growing where I have never had hair.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Hey have any of you guys do the intermittent fasting noticed unwanted hair growth? I have never had chest or back hair but since starting this I have had hair started growing where I have never had hair.

Have you also noticed your voice getting deeper, and do you suddenly have an interest in the opposite sex?

Could be puberty.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    37a7df1e04d99b5282f3fd9b83a575c4.jpg

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Back from vacation and back at it. Down a few more pounds from pre-trip weight.

I’m having a hard time getting enough calories in. Need to eat more

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Back from vacation and back at it. Down a few more pounds from pre-trip weight.
    I’m having a hard time getting enough calories in. Need to eat more

You are back from vacation and you're down from pre-trip weight: I'm impressed. :thumbsup:
    I don't know how to behave and make good choices about eating on vacation. :dunno:
    I didn't think that was even possible. :laugh:

I am beginning my 6th day of this carb-cycling.
    I quickly went from 230 down to 226 for 2 days, then back up to 228 (???), and today 227.
    Hopefully by Monday am's weighing-in I'll at least be back down to 226 where I was after 2 & 3 days of watching carbs.
    Calories not a problem, but keeping fats under control another matter.
    I usually eat twice the fats I'm allowed in a day, only once on target.
    Hard to control carbs & fats, but at least I can eat which is better than fasting, b/c I feel like I won't put the weight back on in a few days like I normally do.
    Time will tell: perhaps I'll develop some better eating habits that will keep me in-line. :popcorn:
    I have a party to go to tonight: big test! :wallbash:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I am not good at counting my macros/calories. Trying to work on that.

our trip this spring on a catamaran I didn’t gain a single pound :rockwoot: but we didn’t have access to snacks and had to ration food a bit

i have Cronometer I’m using now to track things. Has a good list of foods and a free macro counter

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I use an app called MyFitessPal that is easy to use.
    I record my weight every day and they will also display it in a graph for anywhere from 1 week to a year.
    I got away from recording the food I ate a couple of years ago when I was just watching calories (2050/day for 1/2#/wk loss).
    In my case, seeing all the "points" on the graph being under 230 is my immediate goal, but I'm hoping that by staying on this carb-cycling I'll be able to get and stay under 220: hasn't been that for decades.
    I have been under 230 ever since the 2nd day of this, so that is met, next: 225#, which I'll have after next week (hopefully).
    Of course, I know I can "get under" 220, it's the "staying under" that is where the battle will be b/c that will be an all-new "set-point."

This app allows looking up foods easily, and by recording meals & snacks and it will break down all the categories, even besides calories, carbs, fats & proteins.
    It is the ritual before or as I'm eating now :dunno:.
    Just doing the entering the food intake is a great "brake" & "curb" on eating too much.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I'm doing my best not to have to count anything. That seems like a real PIA.

That said, this time of year I start to gain weight back. I have to up my game to fight that off.

i don’t plan to do it forever, but need to see where I’m at with what I’m eating until I get a handle on it

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    This week was getting & staying under 230, and hopefully next week I'll get and stay under 225, even if I barely make it I'll be pleased.
    I hope to get down to 220 before my Dr. visit in 5 weeks to impress her.
    And, hopefully my glucose levels and HA1C, along with my cholesterol numbers will be better.
    the last time I got my weight down to 225 consistently, the numbers were better, so I want some of that again.

I was looking in MyFitnessPlan app, and saw where in Jan. 2016, I was 240, and got up to 243 during the month, but in February & March I started the long fight to bring my weight down.
    I had reached a high of over 250 before that, so I was trying to bring it down already by just counting calories, before I really knew that carbs were the secret.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Brothers - this isn't about some kind of "system" that you go or go through. It's about a lifestyle change - a change that can be made permanent.

We're simply consuming too many calories. Every single one of us, as Americans, are guilty of this.

I'm working on cutting out the total amount of calories that I consume. This is in the form of no breakfast - and not eating until about 12:00-12:30pm. Even with some water to fill up on - the hunger pangs can be quieted (Though they're full-on this morning!).

Mind over matter.

I slack off on the weekends - work-week is generally where I fast intermittantly as it's easier to do when I'm at work vs. being at home.

Counting stuff can be discouraging. Also - counting is notoriously inaccurate. Serving sizes have to be SPOT on for calorie counting to work.

Let us work on cutting out as many carbs as possible for the vast majority of our eating. Seriously. This will be the single biggest beneficial change in dropping weight.

We can do this, men.

Also as an update, my A1c dropped 1.0 point in 6 months. And for 5 of those I wasn't even all that bucked down.

We can do this.

doddg

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    138   0   1
    May 15, 2017
    Indianapolis
    Brothers - this isn't about some kind of "system" that you go or go through. It's about a lifestyle change - a change that can be made permanent.
    We're simply consuming too many calories. Every single one of us, as Americans, are guilty of this.
    I'm working on cutting out the total amount of calories that I consume. This is in the form of no breakfast - and not eating until about 12:00-12:30pm. Even with some water to fill up on - the hunger pangs can be quieted (Though they're full-on this morning!).
    Mind over matter.
    I slack off on the weekends - work-week is generally where I fast intermittantly as it's easier to do when I'm at work vs. being at home.
    Counting stuff can be discouraging. Also - counting is notoriously inaccurate. Serving sizes have to be SPOT on for calorie counting to work.
    Let us work on cutting out as many carbs as possible for the vast majority of our eating. Seriously. This will be the single biggest beneficial change in dropping weight.
    We can do this, men.
    Also as an update, my A1c dropped 1.0 point in 6 months. And for 5 of those I wasn't even all that bucked down.
    We can do this.

So much TRUTH. :thumbsup:
    We all know it, but in the application is where we fail.
    My wife has been preaching these things to me for 2 decades: she's an extremely brittle diabetic and studies much about all this.

The counting helps to govern my choices, so I don't mind it, especially with carbs: there are a few surprises there with what does and doesn't have many.
    Yesterday was my "high" carb day, so I came up 1.4 #s from the day before :wallbash:, but at least I'm 2#s less than last Monday am and the last week I've been under 230, so I'll be content with that.

Your 1.0 reduction in A1c in 6 months blew me away: :wow:
    Now that's REAL!!!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom