Interesting read/video of open carry incident in Jackson, Michigan SOS (BMV)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mulksman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 4, 2013
    North of the Fort
    Followup: Interesting read of open carry incident in Jackson, Michigan SOS (BMV)

This is a story that caught my eye while glancing the paper from my hometown in Jackson, Michigan. It occurred in the Secretary of State's office (equivalent to our BMV) which is located inside of a private plaza/mall. Lots of things could have been handled better all of the way around, but as usual...... the comment section is equally as disturbing!

Many points of interest for discussion and debate...... and others not so much. Interesting read if you have the time!

Watch video of Jackson police arresting man who carried pistol at Secretary of State | MLive.com

Last edited:

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    He probably shouldn't have been 'agitated'. The case speaks for itself when the charges were dropped.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    "in addition to his escalating defiant and unpredictable behavior," LOL I admit I don't know the majority of the story, let alone all of the story but 'escalating defiant behavior' sure sounds like spin. It seems more likely he kept refusing and it was the demands that were escalating. I'm trying to picture "escalating defiance"...at first I said no thanks, then I said no, then I yelled it, then I said no way this time I mean it?

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Disorderly conduct can literally be ANYTHING.

Maybe in Michigan, but not Indiana.

IC 35-45-1-3 Version a
    Disorderly conduct
    Note: This version of section effective until 7-1-2014. See also following version of this section, effective 7-1-2014.
    Sec. 3. (a) A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally:
    (1) engages in fighting or in tumultuous conduct;
    (2) makes unreasonable noise and continues to do so after being asked to stop; or
    (3) disrupts a lawful assembly of persons;
    commits disorderly conduct, a Class B misdemeanor.
    (b) The offense described in subsection (a) is a Class D felony if it:
    (1) adversely affects airport security; and
    (2) is committed in an airport (as defined in IC 8-21-1-1) or on the premises of an airport, including in a parking area, a maintenance bay, or an aircraft hangar.
    (c) The offense described in subsection (a) is a Class D felony if it:
    (1) is committed within five hundred (500) feet of:
    (A) the location where a burial is being performed;
    (B) a funeral procession, if the person described in subsection (a) knows that the funeral procession is taking place; or
    (C) a building in which:
    (i) a funeral or memorial service; or
    (ii) the viewing of a deceased person;
    is being conducted; and
    (2) adversely affects the funeral, burial, viewing, funeral procession, or memorial service.
    As added by Acts 1976, P.L.148, SEC.5. Amended by Acts 1977, P.L.340, SEC.70; P.L.92-1988, SEC.8; P.L.123-2002, SEC.40; P.L.3-2006, SEC.1.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Maybe in Michigan, but not Indiana.

IC 35-45-1-3 Version a
    Disorderly conduct
    Note: This version of section effective until 7-1-2014. See also following version of this section, effective 7-1-2014.
    Sec. 3. (a) A person who recklessly, knowingly, or intentionally:
    (1) engages in fighting or in tumultuous conduct;
    (2) makes unreasonable noise and continues to do so after being asked to stop; or
    (3) disrupts a lawful assembly of persons;

commits disorderly conduct, a Class B misdemeanor.
    (b) The offense described in subsection (a) is a Class D felony if it:
    (1) adversely affects airport security; and
    (2) is committed in an airport (as defined in IC 8-21-1-1) or on the premises of an airport, including in a parking area, a maintenance bay, or an aircraft hangar.
    (c) The offense described in subsection (a) is a Class D felony if it:
    (1) is committed within five hundred (500) feet of:
    (A) the location where a burial is being performed;
    (B) a funeral procession, if the person described in subsection (a) knows that the funeral procession is taking place; or
    (C) a building in which:
    (i) a funeral or memorial service; or
    (ii) the viewing of a deceased person;
    is being conducted; and
    (2) adversely affects the funeral, burial, viewing, funeral procession, or memorial service.
    As added by Acts 1976, P.L.148, SEC.5. Amended by Acts 1977, P.L.340, SEC.70; P.L.92-1988, SEC.8; P.L.123-2002, SEC.40; P.L.3-2006, SEC.1.

highlighted sections I think are applied when the officer tells you that you are done, his/her mind is made up and you continue to debate/argue. So I respectfully disagree. We do have that here in Indiana.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    Yeah, I have to agree, that's pretty overly broad or could be stretched into the thinnest strand of plausibility. Is tumultuous conduct defined? Do most people understand the plain meaning of the word? Is unreasonable noise defined? What qualifies as disrupting a lawful assembly of persons? How can one tell at a glance whether the assembly is lawful or not?

Loopholes big enough to drive a Mack truck through without scratching the mirrors.

Hm. 'Defiant and unpredictable.' Well, lock me up if that counts as criminal.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    I don't see it as overly broad. It is pretty clear to me.

IC 35-45-1-1
    Definitions
    Sec. 1. As used in this chapter:
    "Tumultuous conduct" means conduct that results in, or is likely to result in, serious bodily injury to a person or substantial damage to property.
    "Unlawful assembly" means an assembly of five (5) or more persons whose common object is to commit an unlawful act, or a lawful act by unlawful means. Prior concert is not necessary to form an unlawful assembly.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    IC 35-45-1-1
    Definitions
    "Tumultuous conduct" means conduct that results in, or is likely to result in, serious bodily injury to a person or substantial damage to property.
    "Unlawful assembly" means an assembly of five (5) or more persons whose common object is to commit an unlawful act, or a lawful act by unlawful means. Prior concert is not necessary to form an unlawful assembly.

I don't see it as overly broad. It is pretty clear to me.

That definition seems EXTREMELY broad to me. Let's just suppose that someone gets so uptight that he tells himself "I'm going to knock out the next - (place your demographic here) that I see! Now I come around the corner. I have now committed "conduct that results in, or is likely to result in, serious bodily injury to a person or substantial damage to property" in that I am next and I am visible.

By that definition the a$$ whopping I will take is completely justified on account of my "Tumultuous conduct", defined as coming around the corner resulting in serious bodily injury.........

There is a saying that "A bear won't attack you unless you provoke it......... Unfortunately, what exactly constitutes provocation to a bear is not clearly understood!" Let me change that around a little bit; "A police officer won't beat your a$$ and arrest you unless you engage in Tumultuous conduct....... Unfortunately, what exactly constitutes Tumultuous conduct to a police officer is not clearly understood!"

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Disorderly conduct can literally be ANYTHING.

IC 35-45-1-1
    Definitions

That definition seems EXTREMELY broad to me. Let's just suppose that someone gets so uptight that he tells himself "I'm going to knock out the next - (place your demographic here) that I see! Now I come around the corner. I have now committed "conduct that results in, or is likely to result in, serious bodily injury to a person or substantial damage to property" in that I am next and I am visible.

By that definition the a$$ whopping I will take is completely justified on account of my "Tumultuous conduct", defined as coming around the corner resulting in serious bodily injury.........

There is a saying that "A bear won't attack you unless you provoke it......... Unfortunately, what exactly constitutes provocation to a bear is not clearly understood!" Let me change that around a little bit; "A police officer won't beat your a$$ and arrest you unless you engage in Tumultuous conduct....... Unfortunately, what exactly constitutes Tumultuous conduct to a police officer is not clearly understood!"
    Um, I think you have your cause and effect actions out of sequence. Your action of turning the corner is not the "tumultuous act." The person doing the act is the one who is causing the injury in that definition.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    My wife is from jackson:ugh: for some reason the cops always seemed ready to curb stomp somebody given half a chance... I don't like Michigan.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Well, if it was legal for Chesney to carry at that location, end of story. My guess is they'll settle Chesney's suit.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Personally, I like that IC because it isn't overly broad as compared to my understanding of other states' disorderly statute. It is simple; if you don't fit one of the three conditions, no disorderly conduct. It isn't a catch-all.

Top Bottom