• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    Im taking 'mandatory firefighter' training right now, and the guy teaching the class is a 20+ year veteran of the fire service who started his own training company and has been doing it as his primary job for the last few years.

Yesterday he said his revenue was down 72% YTD due to....... Obamacare.

He said most of the businesses who have hired him in the past are trying to cut costs, and specifically mention the additional cost of Obamacare that's already happened, and will continue to happen. So they are cutting vendor costs, and specifically training costs.

very interesting conversation.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I am sure we will hear more of these stories. One of our customers has already had to deal with increases starting early this year with insurance for his employees. Something like 4-5 times the cost of the previous year already and the damn OC hasn't even fully kicked in

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    The company I work for has just under 200 employees, mostly in Wisconsin. Company President told me recently that the Obamacare mandates would cost this company an additional $1 million in 2014. That money has to come from somewhere, so something has to get cut.

And there isn't any fat in many company budgets. The recession already took care of that.

danbb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Cedar Lake
    Who would have ever thought that increasing taxes hurts the economy? Since SOTUS says this is really a tax, and we're now seeing its effects, who are they fooling when they say that "asking the wealthiest Americans to pay a little bit more" is going to help our economy?

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    We just went through our meeting to sign up for insurance benefits, and we had several changes in deductibles, and out of pocket expenses, and they said it was do to the new health care laws.
    The only positive was our dental now covers up to 1,500 instead of 1,000. Everything else was higher.
    Not good.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Our coverage amounts/thresholds have remained the same for the most part, I believe. The employee contribution per pay period has increased a few dollars. I don't have the hard numbers in front of me, but I'm gonna say somewhere in the ballpark of 15-30% depending on which coverage option is chosen. Sounds steep but the highest increase was only about $5 per pay period.

What's really changed in the retiree coverage. They might as well not have any at this point. I didn't pay much attention to the details since it doesn't apply to us, but the long and short is that retiree benefits are cut and their costs are going WAY up as the employer is 'opting' not to fund the subsidies anymore.

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    in my youth, i think having insurance isnt quite big necessity. BUT here comes obamacare telling me..well. let me quote it, then cite it..
    Impose an annual penalty of $95, or up to 1% of income over the filing minimum,[98] whichever is greater, on individuals who are not covered by an acceptable insurance policy; this will rise to a minimum of $695 ($2,085 for families), or 2.5% of income over the filing minimum,[98] by 2016.[19][99] Exemptions to the mandatory coverage provision and penalty are permitted for religious reasons or for those for whom the least expensive policy would exceed 8% of their income.[100]
    why do i have to pay if i dont want it? really.. what a waste.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patient_Protection_and_Affordable_Care_Act

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Im taking 'mandatory firefighter' training right now, and the guy teaching the class is a 20+ year veteran of the fire service who started his own training company and has been doing it as his primary job for the last few years.

Yesterday he said his revenue was down 72% YTD due to....... Obamacare.

He said most of the businesses who have hired him in the past are trying to cut costs, and specifically mention the additional cost of Obamacare that's already happened, and will continue to happen. So they are cutting vendor costs, and specifically training costs.

very interesting conversation.

Yep...Training and training consultants are the first to go..

BTDT...

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Something like 4-5 times the cost of the previous year already and the damn OC hasn't even fully kicked in

The goal is to massively increase the cost of private insurance such that no one buys it and they all get in on the "Exchanges" and the private companies go bankrupt, leaving us with single payor healthcare. That's why all pre-existing conditions are covered without the ability to charge more to cover them, and kids covered until 26 or 30 without the ability to charge more for that.

Don't be fooled. ObamaCare's intent is to jack up the costs of private healthcare to the point where it's financially prohibitive and thus not a viable option.

Top Bottom