• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Come July 1, a new Indiana law enacted by Republican Gov. Mike Pence gives speeders the right-of-way and motorists obeying the speed limit in the left lane could get slapped with a fine.
    House Enrolled Act 1305 permits police to issue $500 tickets to left lane drivers who fail to move into the right lane if they know, or should reasonably know, another vehicle is overtaking them — even if the other vehicle is exceeding the speed limit.
    State Rep. Jud McMillin, R-Brookville, said he sponsored the law to ensure "individuals who are driving in the fast lane slowly are properly incentivized to get out of your way."
    The mandate does not apply during traffic congestion, bad weather, when exiting on the left, paying a toll or pulling over for an emergency vehicle, according to the new law.
    But at all other times a motorist risks a fine if he or she is in the left lane and does not move to the right when another vehicle wants to pass.
    The law was approved by the Republican-controlled House 97-0, but just barely passed the Republican-controlled Senate, 29-20.
    State Sen. Karen Tallian, D-Ogden Dunes, said during debate on the measure that it was "the silliest, most unjustifiable proposal of the entire session."
    "It really doesn't make sense to put law-abiding citizens as the criminal here," Tallian said. "You can be driving down the road at 70 miles per hour, doing the speed limit, and some joker comes up behind you doing 90 and you're the one who gets the ticket?"
    She also pointed out, along with state Sen. Jim Tomes, R-Wadesville, that the new right-lane mandate likely won't be enforced since a police officer probably would pull over and ticket the speeding driver, instead of the person who does not get out of the speeder's way.
    "It's really unenforceable, but it does go too far," Tomes said. "I just think this is not what we need."
    Prior to passage of the new statute, Indiana law required vehicles traveling slower than the speed limit to use the right lane of a multi-lane highway, but did not regulate left lane driving.
    Illinois law prohibits motorists from using the left lane of an interstate highway in all circumstances, except when passing other vehicles or traffic congestion, weather or road conditions necessitate left lane use.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Illinois law prohibits motorists from using the left lane of an interstate highway in all circumstances, except when passing other vehicles or traffic congestion, weather or road conditions necessitate left lane use.

I think I bruised my ribs laughing at this line. Illinois drivers have absolutely no clue what the center or right lanes are for, they park in the left lane of the interstate and refuse to move under any circumstances. If ISP were to just ticket the IL drivers in Indiana for this new law we would have a $20,000,000,000.00 budget surplus in one year.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    I think I bruised my ribs laughing at this line. Illinois drivers have absolutely no clue what the center or right lanes are for, they park in the left lane of the interstate and refuse to move under any circumstances. If ISP were to just ticket the IL drivers in Indiana for this new law we would have a $20,000,000,000.00 budget surplus in one year.

Phylodog for governor!!! :)

spec4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 19, 2010
    NWI
    Illinois has had this law for several years. In my experience it has had no effect on the left lane lurkers when I drive over there.

Doug

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    69   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Indianapolis
    If I'm driving 10 MPH over the limit in the right hand lane on 465 should I use my 4 way flashers to indicate I'm a slow moving vehicle?

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Even if somebody is exceeding the speed limit on a multi-lane highway, I ALWAYS move over and let them pass or speed up to their speed.

This is always better than blocking traffic and letting it build up into a traffic jam, which is MUCH more dangerous and increases the risk of a multi-car wreck.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County

Anyone who drives I65 between Indy & Merrilville will completely agree with Phyo's statement

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I think I speak for all people with more than two synapses to rub together when I say that I loath the fools who dominate the left lane, as if they were some kind of self appointed traffic cop.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Even if somebody is exceeding the speed limit on a multi-lane highway, I ALWAYS move over and let them pass or speed up to their speed.

This is always better than blocking traffic and letting it build up into a traffic jam, which is MUCH more dangerous and increases the risk of a multi-car wreck.

Right on! Hey Left Lane Larry, get your ass outta the way.

I think I speak for all people with more than two synapses to rub together when I say that I loath the fools who dominate the left lane, as if they were some kind of self appointed traffic cop.

This.
    What's the big deal about this law. You're NOT supposed to be in the left lane going slower than people in the right lane.

dans4420

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    Good unfortunately I drive everyday from south of crown point to east Chicago Seems like the slow left lane driver just puts the fast drivers all over to get around them.
    Seems much safer to just let people who want to go 85-90 in a straight line instead of making them brake and swerve lanes to get around them.

Top Bottom