Interesting happening with a cop. Maybe.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    This morning I drove to the post office. On the way back I pick up a grey unmarked police car. He follows very close. No lights on or anything. Ao I go home. He follows me home and into my driveway. I stop short of my garage and sit there for a bit. So does he. So since he's just going to sit there I go ahead and get out and walk back to him. He asked if I knew why he was there. I said I had no idea. Cause I didn't. He said I ran a stop sign downtown. Okay, maybe I did. I don't know. But why not pull me over earlier? Why follow me home and into my driveway? Why not get out of the car to come up to me. I've always been told never to get out unless he tells me too. No written warning, no ticket. No uniform And was wearing a ball cap that said police. So, was he really a cop or if he was, why behave so unprofessionally?

jason

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    If it's an unmarked car they must be in uniform, so he couldn't pull you over or he was fake.

:+1:

Did you get a plate number? Did he say what department he was with? Sounds screwy to me.

Yeah, it doesn't sound on the up and up...I'm guessing he was a fake. At lease write down a description of the guy and car if you didn't get a plate or badge number.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    Yeah it seemed weird he was older than dirt too. We only have one cop here that I'm aware of. This wasn't him. I might go back out in a while and see if I can find him. Clean dark grey crown Vic. Spotlight,unmarked. Old white guy driving with hat that says police. I thought I saw strobes in the front windshield too.

tonyb71

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    So. Indiana
    Gotta agree, that sound sketchy. Makes no sense to follow you all the way home for running a stop sign. I think a legit cop would have pulled you over right then.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    A cop ball cap would be short of the "in uniform or having distinctive identification (windbreaker that has POLICE on the back and a badge on the front)". Seems strange, you left a post office, he ran your tag, saw the LTCH, assumed you were armed in a post office? Some of this stuff is getting out of hand.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If it's an unmarked car they must be in uniform, so he couldn't pull you over or he was fake.

Sort of true. What I can't do is enforce traffic laws without a uniformed officer present.

IC 9-30-2-2
    Uniform and badge; marked police vehicle
    Sec. 2. A law enforcement officer may not arrest or issue a traffic information and summons to a person for a violation of an Indiana law regulating the use and operation of a motor vehicle on an Indiana highway or an ordinance of a city or town regulating the use and operation of a motor vehicle on an Indiana highway unless at the time of the arrest the officer is:
    (1) wearing a distinctive uniform and a badge of authority; or
    (2) operating a motor vehicle that is clearly marked as a police vehicle;
    that will clearly show the officer or the officer's vehicle to casual observations to be an officer or a police vehicle. This section does not apply to an officer making an arrest when there is a uniformed officer present at the time of the arrest.
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.18

An unmarked car and an officer out of uniform can pull you over for non-traffic related stops. Ask some recent CVS robbers.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    This morning I drove to the post office. On the way back I pick up a grey unmarked police car. He follows very close. No lights on or anything. Ao I go home. He follows me home and into my driveway. I stop short of my garage and sit there for a bit. So does he. So since he's just going to sit there I go ahead and get out and walk back to him. He asked if I knew why he was there. I said I had no idea. Cause I didn't. He said I ran a stop sign downtown. Okay, maybe I did. I don't know. But why not pull me over earlier? Why follow me home and into my driveway? Why not get out of the car to come up to me. I've always been told never to get out unless he tells me too. No written warning, no ticket. No uniform And was wearing a ball cap that said police. So, was he really a cop or if he was, why behave so unprofessionally?

jason

Did you call your local PD and ask? Going solely on the details you provided, I'd have my doubts as to his authenticity as an LEO. It wouldn't hurt to give the locals a heads up about a possible impersonator.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Sort of true. What I can't do is enforce traffic laws without a uniformed officer present.

IC 9-30-2-2
    Uniform and badge; marked police vehicle
    Sec. 2. A law enforcement officer may not arrest or issue a traffic information and summons to a person for a violation of an Indiana law regulating the use and operation of a motor vehicle on an Indiana highway or an ordinance of a city or town regulating the use and operation of a motor vehicle on an Indiana highway unless at the time of the arrest the officer is:
    (1) wearing a distinctive uniform and a badge of authority; or
    (2) operating a motor vehicle that is clearly marked as a police vehicle;
    that will clearly show the officer or the officer's vehicle to casual observations to be an officer or a police vehicle. This section does not apply to an officer making an arrest when there is a uniformed officer present at the time of the arrest.
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.18

An unmarked car and an officer out of uniform can pull you over for non-traffic related stops. Ask some recent CVS robbers.

Unmarked cars with fake cops are a concern. No problem with going after the CVS robbers (CVS's get robbed more often than Speedway and Village Pantry combined, I swear!) There are what, 2 million Crown Vic Police Interceptors in the Indy area? I see municipal vehicles with light kits that look similar to police vehicle (headlights and taillights flash). I try not to get pulled over, I'll be very leery if I am by an unmarked vehicle.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Did you call your local PD and ask? Going solely on the details you provided, I'd have my doubts as to his authenticity as an LEO. It wouldn't hurt to give the locals a heads up about a possible impersonator.

Agreed. You might be doing the next guy/gal a favor if something really is amiss.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Call the police and ask about it they wont get mad or anything. If I were you I would also keep more alert than usual at home just in case he was a scout or whatever.

comanche

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2013
    paragon, that young prick pulled me over a couple of years ago...claimed I was speeding 55 in a 45. Right in front of me was a sign 'speed limit 45' and I wasn't there yet. He asked if I had been drinking...no....he asked me if my wife had been drinking...about 4 hours ago, one...said it smelled like alcohol...my A/C wasn't working and windows were down...held my cool...when he came back to the car asked me again about drinking so I just said "you have a breathalyzer in your car" he said yes, I said why don't you go get it because I've never got to try one and it will show you I haven't had a drop..the prick then let me go...was on memorial weekend.

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    There is a guy in our neighborhood who matches your description. One time me and my friend were hanging out during the summer at the neighborhood park, which "closes" at 9. He went inside his house, came back with a shirt on that said "POLICE", and told us to leave the park. We thought it was hilarious but we complied.

Your guy sounds pretty weird, if there was a real issue he most likely would've just called a cop who could actually pull you over.

IndyLongColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2013
    Morgan County
    I had a Paragon cop come down to me at about midnight while I was night fishing last summer off of Henderson Ford Road bridge. I had my carry piece on me in an Uncle Mikes IWB holster. He claimed he was just looking for a place to fish. He stayed there for probably 45 minutes, saw my 17 yr old son catch a couple of catfish and left.....never asked for ID, fishing liscense or anything. He was in a marked Brooklyn Police car.

Top Bottom