Interesting experience while working in someone's home today...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    Lets just say this lady was probably one of the weirdest people I have met. I was walking through her home with her and saw pistol boxes laying on the ground one was a Smith and Wesson and on top that was a black Springfield XDm 9 box. I said ma'am is that your XDm and she said yep sure is, but she said I still haven't got my LTCH yet and it's been almost 8 months. I said well the wait can very from person to person, but 8 to 10 months is not abnormal to wait on your license. She probably said that she had been waiting 8 months at least 6 different times while I was working... She then asked if I wanted to see it and I said no ma'am that's okay I've seen one. She said no it's okay go ahead and take a look at it well lets just say when she pulled it out she swept me with it like 4 or 5 times and then she handed it to me with the barrel pointed at me. :noway: I took the gun and racked it back to make sure it was clear and it was, but before then I was a bit scared. When I handed it back to her she then was flailing it around while talking and sweeping me with it some more.... I was just thinking to myself man this lady needs a pistol.... Why doesn't she learn some firearm etiquette first. Hopefully they will deny her LTCH :dunno:.... Anyway just wanted to share my unique encounter of the day....

Last edited:

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    A true INGOer would have offered to take a few minutes to school her on the proper firearms etiquette. You never know, your instruction may keep someone else from getting swept.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    It's not always possible or the best move, but I hope most of us take such opportunities to help respectfully educate the ignorant and reckless when we can.

Edit to add: HAH! Frank_N_Stein said the same thing while I was typing!

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I was just thinking to myself man this lady needs a pistol.... Why doesn't she learn some firearm etiquette first. Hopefully they will deny her LTCH :dunno:.... Anyway just wanted to share my unique encounter of the day....

I hope you don't mean that. I know A LOT of peole who are just purchasing their first firearm, and getting their LTCH. Most of them don't even know how to fire the gun, but they plan on getting training. I believe, as honorable IN gun owners, it's our job to get other people interested and educated in owning and carrying firearms, safely. You get sweeped, you get sweeped. Educate them. The more people we get to buy and carry firearms, the better it is for all of us. This is the absolute best way to fight for our 2nd Amendment!

GlenD65

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Hamilton County, IN
    I got swept at Pop Guns range a few weeks ago and the gun was loaded!:noway: I did take the time to mention to the guy that guns must be loaded in the bays, not on the back table. He had never shot before and had rented one of the range's Glocks. My adrenaline was really pumping after that!

theweakerbrother

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Bartholomew County, IN
    IF she is a firearms noob, even with high quality gear like an XDm, she is probably just unaware. It is awkward to point out what they're doing wrong but appropriate. Honey draws more flies than vinegar!

When I first got into firearms, I did not know any better for a few weeks until I posted pictures of myself on another board with my finger on the trigger of the gun I was showing (pics or this thread is worthless!). I knew that one never points guns at anyone even if they are unloaded because they are ALWAYS loaded but I did not know trigger finger discipline.

Better than the story I read about someone pointing a gun at a guy behind the counter and going BANG with his mouth while pulling the trigger. FACEPALM!

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I agree that polite instruction can be very helpful at times. However, the OP said he was working. So I am assuming he was on someone else's clock. Trying to prevent having a gun pointed at you would obviously be appropriate in any circumstances, but trying to "educate" someone while "on the clock" could potentially be problematic. :twocents:

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    .. I was just thinking to myself man this lady needs a pistol.... Why doesn't she learn some firearm etiquette first. Hopefully they will deny her LTCH :dunno:....
    Maybe she doesn't have a responsible person to teach her. And, while she certainly needs training, she legally couldn't transport it to that training until she has her LTCH.

8 months is very uncommon, by the way. 8 weeks, not so much. 8 months, she should certainly be calling people.

DaCoach

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    Greenwood
    Individuals like her make it really difficult on the rest of us responsible gun owners. It always seems to be the "loud" minority that make the rest of us look bad. I sincerely hope she seeks instruction before she starts carrying. If not, I imagine we will see her on the news.

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    I was very uncomfortble and I felt like this lady was not right, I didn't even want her to get out the weapon nonetheless did I feel comfortable telling her how to handle it. If the lady wasn't acting drunk I would have definitely said ma'am just a rule of thumb always keep the firearm pointed down and away from anyone whether loaded or not. I just didn't feel comfortable even her getting it out I felt like it was my fault for even saying anything to begin with. Something about this lady was just not right...you just had to be there I guess.

Gpfury86

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2010
    I hope you don't mean that. I know A LOT of peole who are just purchasing their first firearm, and getting their LTCH. Most of them don't even know how to fire the gun, but they plan on getting training. I believe, as honorable IN gun owners, it's our job to get other people interested and educated in owning and carrying firearms, safely. You get sweeped, you get sweeped. Educate them. The more people we get to buy and carry firearms, the better it is for all of us. This is the absolute best way to fight for our 2nd Amendment!

I meant this 100% like I said this lady was not all there in the head, something wasn't right. I am all for people arming themselves and wanting to be educated with firearm safety, but maybe there is a reason why she hasn't got her LTCH if she needs to be in a wacky home or something.... I'm no psychiatrist, but I could tell she was one short of a full load. She kept repeating herself and rambling about nonesense and things that had nothing to do with what was going on......

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    Unfortunately that's been my experience with most gun owners.

Wow, maybe the Brady Bunch is right. I guess MOST gun-owners can't be trusted with carrying a gun in public because MOST gun-owners are just a little off & completely unsafe. It'll only be a matter of time before MOST gun-owners end up on the news. MOST gun-owners shouldn't be allowed to get their LTCH. Gabriel is one of the few gun-owners who are actually safe & therefore deserves his LTCH. If you don't believe me just ask him yourself. He'll confirm that MOST gun-owners are unsafe but obviously that doesn't include himself. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom