• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MinuteMan47

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    IN
    You can call me whatever you want...as long as I still have the same rights and freedoms! :patriot: (and I have been called a lot of things :D)

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    What, a man that for the previous 33 years was considered a subject of the royal crown used that word instead of citizen in a draft of the Declaration of Independence? He caught and corrected it. The revolutionaries had just come to the conclusion that they must have a change. How can it be unreasonable that they might slip and use old terminology occasionally? Heck, I always have trouble writing the correct year each January. What's the big deal?

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    What, a man that for the previous 33 years was considered a subject of the royal crown used that word instead of citizen in a draft of the Declaration of Independence? He caught and corrected it. The revolutionaries had just come to the conclusion that they must have a change. How can it be unreasonable that they might slip and use old terminology occasionally? Heck, I always have trouble writing the correct year each January. What's the big deal?

It's not unreasonable. The reason this is important is because it shows the progress of producing a document like the Declaration. Closer reading indicates that is the real crux of this discovery--not the actual word used.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    It's not unreasonable. The reason this is important is because it shows the progress of producing a document like the Declaration. Closer reading indicates that is the real crux of this discovery--not the actual word used.

It's a "discovery" that they occasionally used the words of a subject of the English crown? Sounds more like common sense. I wonder how many $100K of Chinese-borrowed money it took to learn an "important fact" that anyone that simply had a little insight could guess? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    It's a "discovery" that they occasionally used the words of a subject of the English crown? Sounds more like common sense. I wonder how many $100K of Chinese-borrowed money it took to learn an "important fact" that anyone that simply had a little insight could guess? :rolleyes:

The "discovery" is finding something we didn't know was there without modern technology.

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I cannot grasp the importance of this :(

I was thinking about the possibility of certain so called leaders in our current administration using this as ammunition towards their belief that "subjects" are what we really should be. It was just sort of a "tongue in cheek" subject of conversation. I don't necessarily see it as a significant find myself. I was more interested in the reaction of others.

:popcorn:

Ol' Wiley

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Indiucky (Clark Co.)
    Nice read. Thanks Suprtek.
    Highlights Jefferson's belief that individual's rights and freedom were key. Subjects were controlled by their crowned one. Citizens control their government.
    Nice reaction time with the whiteout, ol' TJ!

edit: wipeout, for those literal types

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Nice read. Thanks Suprtek.
    Highlights Jefferson's belief that individual's rights and freedom were key. Subjects were controlled by their crowned one. Citizens control their government.
    Nice reaction time with the whiteout, ol' TJ!

edit: wipeout, for those literal types

Agreed. Like others have mentioned, I think it was probably just a matter of Jefferson being accustomed to seeing the public being referred to in that manner and he caught himself. However, I could certainly see certain people wanting to believe that this was Jefferson's true mindset in order to rationalize their own opinions.

Oh, and thanks for the rep!:):

Top Bottom