• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I never get the open carry except foe LEO and Military thing? I mean "WHY" would you want someone else to know (Especialy the Bad Guys). It brings on confrontation sometimes, and other than getting to it faster when needed probobly, again my question to you open carriers is "WHY" (I know and support the answer of BECAUSE WE CAN), but whats your second reason?

I prefer concealed carry and nobody knows but me.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I never get the open carry except foe LEO and Military thing? I mean "WHY" would you want someone else to know (Especialy the Bad Guys). It brings on confrontation sometimes, and other than getting to it faster when needed probobly, again my question to you open carriers is "WHY" (I know and support the answer of BECAUSE WE CAN), but whats your second reason?

I prefer concealed carry and nobody knows but me.

The second reason could be I want to. :dunno:

I'm a gun carrier, so I don't get into OC/CC debates. I really only OC at gun related events, so maybe someone else will shed more light on the subject.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

goColt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    Boone County
    Very well handled.

Although he may not be converted, at least you may have got him to start using his grey-matter about guns.

I agree, getting someone who's on the fence about guns to go to the range is always a good idea. Good luck with getting him fully converted.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    I only wish this city [Bloomington] had a range! I have had so many people want to give guns and shooting sports a try, but there is nowhere to go in B-Town.

There will soon be an outdoor range "close" to Bloomington. Panther Ridge Training Center is suppose to open in the next month or so. It's ~20 minutes west of Bloomington. They will have pistol, shotgun & rifle ranges. Last I heard, the rifle range is going to be 800 yards (or was it meters?). I talked to them about a month ago and they were planning on annual fees of $100 that would let you shoot whenever they are open, or pay by the hour. They will also be offering self defense courses, so hopefully we'll be allowed to draw from holsters.

Here's the website: Services Site | bloomingtonhomepersonalsecuritystore.com Services Site
    It isn't very helpful though. Signing up for e-mail updates or simply stopping by the store downtown are the best ways to get info. I'm hoping they'll be able to set up some Appleseeds next year. It would be great to have a full distance AQT in the area! :biggun:

SHEEPdOHdoubleG

Plinker
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2011
    East Central Indiana
    My mom was anti-gun as they come. Until recently, she began going to the range with me. She now wants a gun. She asked me the other day, "Do you carry your gun, loaded, in your car?" I said, "Yeah, every day". She said, "Well that's illegal." I said, "No it's not".
    "well thats what Mary Jo Sue told me". I told her, "Mom you need to stop listening to 90 year old Geriatric patients, and trust me. I can legally carry my gun, loaded, into the grocery store duck taped to my face!" (Although that may not be the safest mode of carry)

But then I got to thinking, Is this True?

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I can legally carry my gun, loaded, into the grocery store duck taped to my face!" (Although that may not be the safest mode of carry)

The IC does not specify how you carry. So technically it is legal, just not wise. The Indiana Code isn't a fun read, but definitely worth some of your time. Being able to say that you've read the IC will probably be more convincing than just "trust me".

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    There will soon be an outdoor range "close" to Bloomington. Panther Ridge Training Center is suppose to open in the next month or so. It's ~20 minutes west of Bloomington. They will have pistol, shotgun & rifle ranges. Last I heard, the rifle range is going to be 800 yards (or was it meters?). I talked to them about a month ago and they were planning on annual fees of $100 that would let you shoot whenever they are open, or pay by the hour. They will also be offering self defense courses, so hopefully we'll be allowed to draw from holsters.

Here's the website: Services Site | bloomingtonhomepersonalsecuritystore.com Services Site
    It isn't very helpful though. Signing up for e-mail updates or simply stopping by the store downtown are the best ways to get info. I'm hoping they'll be able to set up some Appleseeds next year. It would be great to have a full distance AQT in the area! :biggun:

They let people fire guns that close to Bloomington?

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    They let people fire guns that close to Bloomington?
    It'll technically be across the line in Greene county where there are no stinking :rules:.

I live outside of Bloomington but work there and frequently shop there. I know it's against your personal taste Destro, but I make little attempt to conceal my XDm (sorry, it's not a Python, or even a 1911). I carry OWB in a leather holster and half of the time the last inch or so is hanging out from under my shirt. I've never had a single negative comment. My waitresses are always friendly and the guy bagging my groceries doesn't complain. I've seen a few OCers in the area and of the couple I've talked to, none have ever been harassed. Granted, I don't go to the campus area or downtown very often.

AJMD429

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Open carry may be technically legal, but doing so has both tactical and social effects:

Tactical
    - you lose your element of surprise, but on the other hand,
    - you make it clear that you have a 'trump' card if someone gets violent

Social
    - you 'educate' some non-gun types that yes, nice people may carry guns, but
    - you sometimes frighten non-gun types more than you educate them

Regarding the 'social' aspects, open-carriers should be sure they are behaving and dressing/appearing otherwise in the most responsible of manners - having a T-thirt that says "Kill 'em all & let God sort 'em out" and open-carrying at a library or kids playground is a bit different than doing same when out at the range with your friends.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Open carry may be technically legal, but doing so has both tactical and social effects:

Tactical

Social

Regarding the 'social' aspects, open-carriers should be sure they are behaving and dressing/appearing otherwise in the most responsible of manners - having a T-thirt that says "Kill 'em all & let God sort 'em out" and open-carrying at a library or kids playground is a bit different than doing same when out at the range with your friends.

:popcorn:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg

Tactical

Social

:popcorn::popcorn:

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    My mom was anti-gun as they come. Until recently, she began going to the range with me. She now wants a gun. She asked me the other day, "Do you carry your gun, loaded, in your car?" I said, "Yeah, every day". She said, "Well that's illegal." I said, "No it's not".
    "well thats what Mary Jo Sue told me". I told her, "Mom you need to stop listening to 90 year old Geriatric patients, and trust me. I can legally carry my gun, loaded, into the grocery store duck taped to my face!" (Although that may not be the safest mode of carry)

No. Duct taped to your face is actually one of the safest modes of carry available.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    It'll technically be across the line in Greene county where there are no stinking :rules:.

I live outside of Bloomington but work there and frequently shop there. I know it's against your personal taste Destro, but I make little attempt to conceal my XDm (sorry, it's not a Python, or even a 1911). I carry OWB in a leather holster and half of the time the last inch or so is hanging out from under my shirt. I've never had a single negative comment. My waitresses are always friendly and the guy bagging my groceries doesn't complain. I've seen a few OCers in the area and of the couple I've talked to, none have ever been harassed. Granted, I don't go to the campus area or downtown very often.

my fav. is the Hi Point with the tucked in shirt/airsoft holster....:puke:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom