Interesting article - Security contractor in Iraq (& 9mm effectiveness)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45Guy

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    9mm

Thank you for posting this article. While the issue of 9mm versus .45 is what drew my attention. It was the account of this youn mans story that held my attention. God Bless Them All!

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    Everyone who was shot with 9mm, get up! You were shot with an ineffective caliber! Get out of the ground and stop being a wuss! :D Great article, very informative. A real "shot placement over shot diameter" arguement stopper. :)

I get the .45 vs. 9mm arguement all the time at Eagle Creek. Old timers need to stop teaching younger shooters that it ain't a gun unless it's a .45. Half of the folks I see that spout that can't shoot worth diddly. They are the "shoot A box ONCE per year and I am the ultimate fighter" types that are sophmoric folks that know alot about nothin... Anything will kill (within reason, .22 and .25 is a bit anemic in my mind but a heck of a deterrant to someone not expecting any force from a victim if shot by it), gotta hit what you are aiming at!

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    I saw a video of someone supposed to be a Navy SEAL who remarked something like: After I shoot you twice in the heart and once in the head, I am sure you won't care that I used a 9mm instead of a .45!

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    While I have 4 .45's (3 of them 1911's :rockwoot:) and 1 9mm I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to pick up the 9mm to defend myself (I even pick it up and CC when I need to carry something smaller sometimes :D)

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    This is the same kind of anecdotal evidence that is often rejected around here, especially when sited by the .45 guys. Sure, it's not worthless but it is far from being a definitive example of the comparative worthiness on 9mm. It is one man who has had some success with 9mm. That is good. What does it prove?

Disposable Heart said:
    Everyone who was shot with 9mm, get up! You were shot with an ineffective caliber! Get out of the ground and stop being a wuss! Great article, very informative. A real "shot placement over shot diameter" arguement stopper.

You are mischaracterizing the argument. It isn't that 9mm can't do the job it is that there are other calibers do it better. This is far from an argument stopper. The static ballistic data isn't there and there are far too many stories of (anecdotal just like this article) of 9mm round bouncing off ribs and the like. Sure, .45 can fail as well, but without the disconcerting frequency of 9mm.

I get the .45 vs. 9mm arguement all the time at Eagle Creek. Old timers need to stop teaching younger shooters that it ain't a gun unless it's a .45. Half of the folks I see that spout that can't shoot worth diddly. They are the "shoot A box ONCE per year and I am the ultimate fighter" types that are sophmoric folks that know alot about nothin... Anything will kill (within reason, .22 and .25 is a bit anemic in my mind but a heck of a deterrant to someone not expecting any force from a victim if shot by it), gotta hit what you are aiming at!

Everyone who has been shot with a .25, get up! You were shot with an ineffective caliber. Get out of the ground and stop being a wuss! You see, most people have an idea of what they consider an "anemic" caliber based mostly on size. For you, .25 or smaller is to small for you to be confident in its effectiveness. For others, it better start with .4 or it's not going to happen. However, they are all better then being a victim.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    In all, he shot six men with that FN High Power, and two more with a Beretta M-9 in 2003. He feels that the cartridge will usually suffice, and no one that he shot argued the issue with him. Nevertheless, he would have felt somewhat more confident with a heavier caliber. The ammo supply just precluded that being a practical issue.

This is very telling as well.

Adrenaline

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    North Carolina
    This is a very interesting topic to me, as I have heard from so many people I have talked to about guns, quote "I wouldn't bother carrying anything other then a .45" . Maybe these people were just trying to impress me, but I think that if you are accurate enough almost any caliber will work (now I just got to get to the accurate enough with the shot placement and I will be A-ok :) ).

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    Worry more about shot placement than caliber. I'd be more impressed by a person with a worn 9mm Hi-Point who hits the 9-10 ring every time(or at least a 10" target) than one with a super-duper 45 who can't hit the target.Saw this at WW yesterday.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    I use to swear on the .45 being the best. Now after doing some reading, mostly on here, I know its more about shot placement than caliber. Which I never doubted that a smaller caliber could kill well if shot right. But now I know better that I can trust 9mm as a defense round more than I thought I could. Granted my main go to's are still 45's, but I do have a 9mm that I carry occasionally, and plan on buying another in the future. Partly due to cheaper and easier to find ammo ;)

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Worry more about shot placement than caliber. I'd be more impressed by a person with a worn 9mm Hi-Point who hits the 9-10 ring every time(or at least a 10" target) than one with a super-duper 45 who can't hit the target.Saw this at WW yesterday.

Yes!

Fear the man who hits 10 out of 10 times on a 8 inch paper plate because he knows that he will get the job done.

I was at my best friends house yesterday and he had his neighbor over that had a Taurus .454 Casull and was bragging about taking down anybody with it. All over the paper to the left and right with 1 to the top left that might have made some contact on a shoulder part, nothing inside of the 5 ring. I went after him and he wanted to change the target for me so I'd have a fresh one to see my hits.

I told him we don't waste targets here and promptly put 17 shots within the 7 ring at 35 feet. Walked up, pulled the target off and handed it to him, and let him know that he has to hit it first to take it down. Before the end of the shoot he was firmly entrenched in the idea that he needs to get a more controllable gun.

Shot placement is everything unless you get lucky and blow out a femoral or other major artery.

Top Bottom