• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I am a SSG (Staff Sergeant) in the IANG (Indiana Army National Guard). I have over 13 years Active Army and 8 Years in the Guard. If I had it to do over again I would have just stayed Active...

PM me if you have any questions. I will either answer them directly or find the answer to your question...

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    OP:

If you move forward with this, you really need to get EVERYTHING IN WRITING from the recruiter. You CAN get a guaranteed MOS.

Get their promises of school / education money &/or loan payment IN WRITING.

Too many stories out there of recruiters blowing smoke just to get folks to sign on the dotted line. It's generally these folks that "get stuck driving a truck" or working in a kitchen.

With your current job, however, might as well sign up to turn wrenches? Not sure the Army has stuff as nice as you're used to, though. hehe

-J-

ETA: Getting a guaranteed MOS doesn't mean that you'll actually DO that job all the time...as evidenced as a few other posts. You could always sign up to be an MP, spend 4.5 months at Ft. Leonardwood, Missouri for both Basic & AIT.

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    Why the NG? What about the Navy or Marine reserves?

Marines:
    13 weeks of bootcamp
    4 weeks of MCT
    12 weeks of MOS school, depending on MOS

If you join as a 92 day reservist then you can split up your training over three years, so one summer you go to bootcamp, the next summer at MCT and the third at MOS school.
    If you join as a regular reservist then you will go to bootcamp, get ten days off, then got to MCT and then MOS school right afterwards.

With the Marine reserves, you get retirement benefits if you do 20 years, and only after you turn 65.

While I don't know about the NG, the whole "1 weekend a month, 2 weeks a year" thing is a myth. Your weekend drill is usually 3 day long, sometimes 4, and your yearly AT is at least 2 weeks long, also usually longer. Then you have to figure in the additional schools they'll want to send you to. We send guys to Buffalo school all the time, but also to MCMAP school, Breacher's school, NCO schools, Rigging school and so forth. Also, the reserve units are expected to provide funeral details as required, not to mention things like Toys for Tots or if Marines are being requested for a local event. Some guys from my unit are going to be at the Indy 500 this year.

mrdryoung

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    As far as additional schools, they are not required. They can be requested and most of the time individuals would be selected to go due to their superior performance. I would not send a dirt bag to any school that would result in my unit looking bad. With NCO schools, the individual must be capable of being an NCO before they will be going to school for it.

Not performing your mos is a good possibility, especially on deployment. The national guard has individuals that have real life experience outside of the regular army that make them more adaptable to other jobs. When you are not training for a deployment, you should be performing your mos training. Once a deployment is coming, your training will shift to focus on your upcoming job.

As a lower enlisted soldier, you should expect to be a driver, radio operator, or other lower responsibility jobs and for good reason. The more experienced/capable soldiers will hold positions of greater responsibility.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    If you have prior active duty then I would say hell no. If this a first for any type of service go for it and god bless.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Your first choice should be active Air Force , second should be Air Guard . If I had to do it over again I'd have went AF .

They have better living conditions in general and get their rank by taking tests .

Promotion wise , Army Guard side of things , some old bastard has to friggan die or retire to open a slot for advancement . This is from 91-95 so I suspect that it probably has changed now .

As a medic , I got to do some neat things with some "cool guys" that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise , but most of the time I was doing other things that sucked with some "not so cool" guys .

Some of the titles I held were , master inventory taker ( I can count med supplies like nobody's business! lol) , truck driver/washer , tent setter upper guy , grass cutter , food server , dish washer , etc .

It's been said that the "high speed" guys get picked to do the cool stuff or for promotion , for the most part it's true but when a warm body is needed you'll be voluntold to fill that position .

Weather wise , whatever it is you'll be in it .

Money wise , LMFAO ! I hope your not considering it for the money .

Training wise , chances are that you WILL NOT be able to step into a civilian career without additional schooling . Your unit might not have the money or time to send you to other schools .

Now for the stuff that nobody has talked about .

How much control over yourself can you live without ?

If the guy in charge is a prick (HMFIC) and gives you a lawful order , you still have to follow it . No matter what you think of the person you still have to "respect the rank" . :rolleyes:

Deployment wise , depending on your MOS and unit , the longer your in improves the chances you'll get deployed . Deployment also means your chances of personal injury or permanent disability goes up .

How do you feel about being handicapped or having your very own TBI ?

How do you feel about Iraq , Lybia , Asscrackistan or the POTUS ?

Doesn't matter , once your in your going where and doing what your told regardless of what you feel / think about the mission .

So ya think ya wanna be airborne , combat diver , air assault , specops , ranger , seal , SF ? Tuff **** man , should've joined one those units .

If the unit your in doesn't have a need for guys with the "X" qualifiers then you ain't going to those schools .

Overall , it was more good than bad . There are plenty of things I would've done differently if I knew then what I know now , like go AIR FORCE .

Bottom line , search your heart and make sure you know what you want to do MOS / school wise and GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING IN YOUR CONTRACT .

Good luck . :patriot:

Last edited:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Your first choice should be active Air Force , second should be Air Guard . If I had to do it over again I'd have went AF .

They have better living conditions in general and get their rank by taking tests .

Promotion wise , Army Guard side of things , some old bastard has to friggan die or retire to open a slot for advancement . This is from 91-95 so I suspect that it probably has changed now .

As a medic , I got to do some neat things with some "cool guys" that I wouldn't have been able to otherwise , but most of the time I was doing other things that sucked with some "not so cool" guys .

Some of the titles I held were , master inventory taker ( I can count med supplies like nobody's business! lol) , truck driver/washer , tent setter upper guy , grass cutter , food server , dish washer , etc .

It's been said that the "high speed" guys get picked to do the cool stuff or for promotion , for the most part it's true but when a warm body is needed you'll be voluntold to fill that position .

Weather wise , whatever it is you'll be in it .

Money wise , LMFAO ! I hope your not considering it for the money .

Training wise , chances are that you WILL NOT be able to step into a civilian career without additional schooling . Your unit might not have the money or time to send you to other schools .

Now for the stuff that nobody has talked about .

How much control over yourself can you live without ?

If the guy in charge is a prick (HMFIC) and gives you a lawful order , you still have to follow it . No matter what you think of the person you still have to "respect the rank" . :rolleyes:

Deployment wise , depending on your MOS and unit , the longer your in improves the chances you'll get deployed . Deployment also means your chances of personal injury or permanent disability goes up .

How do you feel about being handicapped or having your very own TBI ?

How do you feel about Iraq , Lybia , Asscrackistan or the POTUS ?

Doesn't matter , once your in your going where and doing what your told regardless of what you feel / think about the mission .

So ya think ya wanna be airborne , combat diver , air assault , specops , ranger , seal , SF ? Tuff **** man , should've joined one those units .

If the unit your in doesn't have a need for guys with the "X" qualifiers then you ain't going to those schools .

Overall , it was more good than bad . There are plenty of things I would've done differently if I knew then what I know now , like go AIR FORCE .

Bottom line , search your heart and make sure you know what you want to do MOS / school wise and GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING IN YOUR CONTRACT .

Good luck . :patriot:

i think this is spot on!

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Wow, thanks for all of the responses guys. I really appreciate all of canderous replies from "both sides of the fence." I already knew I had a lot to think about when considering this, and now I have more to think about. I'm still pretty early on in my decision-making process, so keep 'em coming!

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    if your all hooah and wanna really kick in some doors, then I think you will be VERY disappointed in the guard, as just a one weekend a month thing. but if your just looking for that touch of adventure every once in a while with the added bonus of cash and benefits then yeah, you might like it. for active guys, we looked at the guard as the place you go to finish out your time or just a way to keep a taste of the lifestyle without living it 24/7. I know some that LOVE the guard and some more that hate it to the core. if you wanna go to a lot of schools and get tabs then you will be disappointed because the guard doesnt have the money to send everyone. so they must be selective even more so than active army units. also like was mentioned once you reach a certain rank it will be hard to get promoted no matter how good you are if there are no slots. so it might help you get even better info if you state what your looking for? that way it would be easier to give you good advice. As with any career in the military or public service, you are to be commended for your willingness to put others above yourself. With all the fronts the U.S. is fighting on, the Guard has really had to step up and fill the gap, and they have done well. so there is always a chance of not coming home in one piece or alive. I salute anyone willing to take the risk for their country no matter what their MOS is. Thanks for your willingness to serve!

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    Wow, thanks for all of the responses guys. I really appreciate all of canderous replies from "both sides of the fence." I already knew I had a lot to think about when considering this, and now I have more to think about. I'm still pretty early on in my decision-making process, so keep 'em coming!

What is your goal for joining the military? What do you hope to accomplish, or what do you want from the military?

Top Bottom