• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • doctor rock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Hi, I'm in the Indianapolis area, own an AR15, and I'm interested in learning basic shooting as well as shooting etiquette. Was in the AF, but only learned the very few basics. Let me know if there are classes around the area that I could attend.

Thanks a million.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Appleseed!

Here is a link to the Appleseed forum here on INGO. I have attended a mini-Appleseed and learned A TON. There are several instructors here on INGO and all are top notch. PLEASE PM me or email me if you have any questions, I'd be glad to answer what I can based on my experience.

Appleseed - INGunOwners

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If you're looking for basic rifle marksmanship and etiquette, then the Appleseed will be exactly what you're looking for. The skills learned there will be transferable to all rifles, not just the AR platform. Not only is it good solid training, but its VERY inexpensive. Check the link that jsharmon7 provided for more info.

If you're looking for something a bit more specific to the AR platform, then you have several options available in central Indiana. My first recommendation would be anything hosted by Boone County Sheriff Ken Campbell. Look deeper in the Tactics and Training forum for carbine classes he hosts-- schools like EAG Tactical and Yavapai Firearms Academy.

At the end of June INGOer lovemywoods will again be hosting Steve Fisher (Steve MI) of Michigan Defensive Firearms Institute for a 1-day Carbine 1 class down in beautiful Brown County. Cost is $150.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Hi, I'm in the Indianapolis area, own an AR15, and I'm interested in learning basic shooting as well as shooting etiquette. Was in the AF, but only learned the very few basics. Let me know if there are classes around the area that I could attend.

I'll repeat the recommendation for Appleseed. Even if you get other training, the Appleseed is a great way to learn classic rifleman's skills and they will also share with you the critical role that the rifleman played in the history of America and how those skills are still important today.

We (ACT) could help you too. We do not presently have a rifle class scheduled, but we could probably arrange private instruction or something for a small group.

I gather that you are interested in marksmanship skills, but we could also help with safety, safe gun handling, manipulation of the AR (reloads, etc.) that would help you prepare for further instruction.

Our web site is Adaptive Consulting & Training. Feel free to send email to me at Joseph@AdaptiveConsultingandTraining.com.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    We (ACT) could help you too.

Oh yeah, forgot about ACT! :ugh:

Probably a bit more $$ than Appleseed, but way less than offerings in Boone County. Good group of guys too! But you gotta watch out for that purple one. . . . :D

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Oh yeah, forgot about ACT! :ugh:

And you and your pops keep forgetting about us when you schedule classes at the homefront too! I'm getting a complex about it . . . where's the purple pachyderm love? I'm sensitive, after all. Emotional, even.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    The Army has a nice two week class surrounded by 6 other weeks of "basic" training followed by a few year commitment.:D

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    And you and your pops keep forgetting about us when you schedule classes at the homefront too! I'm getting a complex about it . . . where's the purple pachyderm love? I'm sensitive, after all. Emotional, even.

Let's be honest, you just wanna hang out with the Treefrog for an afternoon.

(and I'll be honest, I will totally swap her for free training)

Biohazard

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    central indiana
    I'm pretty sure there are still some open slots for this class.

E.A.G. Tactical

11-12 June 2010 - 2 Day Basic Carbine Course - Boone County IN Host: Ken Campbell
    Admin: EAG - info@eagtactical.com
    Cost: $400 - Deposit $200 - Payment in full 30 days prior to class date

Note: If registering for both Pistol & Carbine Op Courses the cost is $850; Deposit $350
    This course will be Indiana Law Enforcement Training Board Certified.
    Indiana Officers will receive in-service hours for the course.

The Basic Carbine Course is a Two Day, Low to Moderate Intensity class with the emphasis on the basics of marksmanship and manipulation.
    This class will include:

• Nomenclature
    • Disassembly / Assembly
    • Maintenance
    • Magazine selection
    • Sight types
    • Slings
    • Ammunition
    Practical application will include Weapons Safety; Sight Alignment / Sight Picture; Trigger Control; Loading / Unloading / Reloading; Position shooting – Prone Kneeling, Sitting
    Bring:

• A good attitude
    • Serviceable 5.56x45mm Carbine. An AR type is STRONGLY recommended
    • A serviceable sling. A tactical sling is best—but you must have a sling
    • Three serviceable magazines
    • The ability to carry two magazines on your body
    • Eyepro and Earpro
    • Baseball type hat
    • Clothing appropriate for the season
    • Kneepads and elbow pads are optional, but recommended
    • 700 rounds of serviceable Ball ammunition
    • Water / electrolyte replacement and food
    <!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } A:link { color: #0000ff } -->
    You will be required to bring a cleaning kit and paper towers/rags. These can be ordered from Brownell’s, World's Largest Supplier of Firearm Accessories, Gun Parts and Gunsmithing Tools - BROWNELLS, 1-800-741-0015 The Masen Mil Special Cleaning Kit #555-000-005 is good to go.

<!-- @page { margin: 0.79in } P { margin-bottom: 0.08in } A:link { color: #0000ff } -->
    You will need cleaner and lube. Pat’s preference is Slip 2000 725 Cleaner/Degreaser and Slip 2000 Extreme Weapons Lube (EWL) from SLiP2000™ Gun Lubricants and Cleaners. They are non-toxic green friendly and work extremely well.

At the end of this class you will have a good understanding of the functioning of the weapon, and how to safely and effectively employ it.
    If you have questions, contact us directly for assistance!

In accordance with International Traffic in Arms (ITAR) Regulations, only U.S. Citizens will be accepted to participate in E.A.G. Tactical courses.

doctor rock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    The Army has a nice two week class surrounded by 6 other weeks of "basic" training followed by a few year commitment.:D

haha, a little too old for re-uping (like I said, former AF), but I really dig all the recommendations fellas. Will definitely look into ACT and Appleseed. Didn't think too much about caliber for training when I put my AR together, but instead of buying an all new 10/22, would a CMMG .22 conversion be a good idea? I really want to get comfortable with my AR's ergos. Read a lot of good things about this conversion kit. Would that be a good idea for a class?

Steve MI

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2008
    Who is EAG? Never heard of them..........

LOl any of the mentioned and forgotten classes are great choices

Mr Rogers......(im so going to get slap for that one) is a great choice and iconic in tis industry

Rhino and his crew are good choice as well

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    there have been a few threads on the cmmg .22lr conversions recently. i just bought mine and plan on trying it out tomorrow. The summary as I remember it is that the conversion is technically less accurate than going with swapping out the entire .22 upper. It was described as not that noticeable but at a marksmanship course would likely be enough to not be recommended. I'll post a report on my range trip after Sunday. If you have the time I would be glad to have a guest on the trip to the range if you want to see it work. I'm bringing some WW2 stuff along also.:ar15:

doctor rock

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    there have been a few threads on the cmmg .22lr conversions recently. i just bought mine and plan on trying it out tomorrow. The summary as I remember it is that the conversion is technically less accurate than going with swapping out the entire .22 upper. It was described as not that noticeable but at a marksmanship course would likely be enough to not be recommended. I'll post a report on my range trip after Sunday. If you have the time I would be glad to have a guest on the trip to the range if you want to see it work. I'm bringing some WW2 stuff along also.:ar15:

Definitely look forward to what you think about it. It would be a lot cheaper for me, but accuracy is a factor. Got a fishing trip set up tomorrow with some friends, but I appreciate the offer. Let me know if you have something in the future, and I'll go for sure.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You can turn from questions to answers for others in a month.
    Appleseed, ACT private instruction and MDFI in Brown County. I would recommend them all.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Didn't think too much about caliber for training when I put my AR together, but instead of buying an all new 10/22, would a CMMG .22 conversion be a good idea? I really want to get comfortable with my AR's ergos. Read a lot of good things about this conversion kit. Would that be a good idea for a class?

This is a very common question, and one that lovemywoods delved into this past winter.

Long story short-- in terms of pure accuracy, a Ruger 10/22-type rifle is better than a dedicated AR .22 upper, which is better than a .22 AR conversion.

For Appleseed I would NOT recommend a conversion, but you could certainly use it for drills/manipulations in an ACT class (I believe they allow them).

Here are two reviews that you should find quite helpful:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...n_22_conversions_and_dedicated_22_rifles.html

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...versions_and_dedicated_22_rifles_part_ii.html

Top Bottom