Interested in a career as a DNR CO. Next steps?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbane3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond
    Good evening, INGO! (Warning, potentially "TL:DR".. I can be verbose!)

As the title suggests, I am interested in becoming a DNR Conservation Officer. I figured there have to be a few of you on the forums, and plenty of folks with some knowledge on the subject, so I seek your advice. Without boring you too much, let me share a bit about me. I graduated high school and went straight off to college because that's what you're supposed to do. A year and a half into my CS/Mathematics program I realized just how expensive college was. Working two jobs and going to school full-time, along with grants/loans was just covering it. Not seeing a point in digging that hole any deeper, I moved on to the next step in my "plan." I joined the United States Army. (My father served, and just about every able-bodied male preceding me. It was the plan to join after college.) I served my four years honorably, three of which were OCONUS.

I've been out eight years now. Took a few years to find my footing, but have been working for a small retail chain for the last five. I worked my way up from part-time associate and now am the general manager for two of their locations. Unfortunately, they're making some cuts to save overhead cost. I've been informed that I'm on that list (low on the list, but I'm there.) So, I've started the dreaded job hunt. I recently took part of a really interesting "reverse job fair." In it, employers walked around scoping out potential employees and their booths. The hardest, and most consistent, question I was asked was "what would be the perfect job for you?"

I had a hard time answering that question. You see, I have a two year old girl and a five month old boy and I've been doing a job I enjoyed for the last five years. I didn't expect to be pursuing another career at this point! So I took that question home with me, and it got my mind turning. I was a Boy Scout. Hiking, camping, fishing, hunting, backpacking, and shooting all fuel me, as I'm sure they do many of you. With no former LEO experience or training, a Forest/Park Ranger is out of my grasp. But I do meet the qualifications for the DNR CO. But most importantly, I can't imagine a job I would be as glad to have for the next decade or two.

So, INGO, I humbly seek your input. I've taken the pre-qualification exam and submitted my information for consideration. What's next?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Why is a forest/park ranger out of your grasp? I don't know the quals, but I think if you are eligible to be a rabbit ranger the others would be easier to get into. Regardless, good luck, and if you get in prepare to spend a LOT of time in Plainfield, lol.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DNR is in the middle of a process now. It'll be quite some time before they have another. Like them on Facebook or Twitter for announcements.

rbane3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond
    DNR is in the middle of a process now. It'll be quite some time before they have another. Like them on Facebook or Twitter for announcements.

Thank you for the info. C'est la vie. I'll do that and find something temporary for the time being. What else would you recommend doing to prepare?

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Maybe I'm unclear, you think you can make it with DNR but not as a Park Ranger? Can you clarify the difference as you see it? If you're talking about going to work as a CO for DNR, that's a fairly tough gig to get into because there just isn't a lot of them. My best advice for surviving the training is to get in the very best physical condition you can. I've heard horror stories about what their academy is like. You will complete the regular 16 week academy and then they have another 9-12 weeks on top of that which I hear is grueling. Run, do push-ups, swim, etc. like a madman. I can't give you much advice as far as getting hired, but just be physically prepared if you do get hired.

rbane3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Richmond
    Maybe I'm unclear, you think you can make it with DNR but not as a Park Ranger? Can you clarify the difference as you see it? If you're talking about going to work as a CO for DNR, that's a fairly tough gig to get into because there just isn't a lot of them. My best advice for surviving the training is to get in the very best physical condition you can. I've heard horror stories about what their academy is like. You will complete the regular 16 week academy and then they have another 9-12 weeks on top of that which I hear is grueling. Run, do push-ups, swim, etc. like a madman. I can't give you much advice as far as getting hired, but just be physically prepared if you do get hired.

A bit unclear. Let me elaborate. I checked out the qualifications for federal park rangers first. They a little more than strongly desire law enforcement background, ba in criminal justice, etc. My military service qualifies me as a conservation officer. But, as I wasn't an MP, does not qualify me as a ranger.

Thanks for that advise though! I have kept in good condition but not boot camp condition.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    DNR has cut their recruit scho down to just a few weeks. It's not like it used to be. They still have to go o the 15 week basic course at ilea as well. I work with CO's and they're in tip top physical shape. They do a 10 mile run and have yearly physical assessments. Definitely get in great shape before applying.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    A bit unclear. Let me elaborate. I checked out the qualifications for federal park rangers first. They a little more than strongly desire law enforcement background, ba in criminal justice, etc. My military service qualifies me as a conservation officer. But, as I wasn't an MP, does not qualify me as a ranger.

Thanks for that advise though! I have kept in good condition but not boot camp condition.

You were talking the Federal level for Rangers, I'm with you now! Well then just bust your butt to get in the very best physical condition you can and keep after it. Keep in mind that some folks apply at numerous agencies before getting hired and DNR might even be a little bit tougher because they don't hire a lot. Don't get discouraged if it's what you really want.

Top Bottom