Installing a 15 inch m lok rail on a 16 inch carbine? Will it damage a light from shooting?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Hello, I wanted to ask everyone's opinion who have a 15 inch free float m lok style rail on a 16 inch carbine?

I am debating on replacing the factory 13 inch rail on my upper as I like the look of the entire barrel being enclosed around it.

I wanted to ask however if damage can occur to a light mounted at the very end of the 15 inch m lok rail while installed on a carbine length barrel without the muzzle blast from the flash hider causing any damage to the light?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Tomahawkman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Aug 7, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Going to be light dependent. But pretty much all of your name brand, main stream lights ie. Surefire, Modlite, Cloud, Streamlight are going to be just fine. You may however experience carbon build up on the lens just like you would on a pistol light. Usually within a mag or 2 you'll need to clean the lens off.

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Going to be light dependent. But pretty much all of your name brand, main stream lights ie. Surefire, Modlite, Cloud, Streamlight are going to be just fine. You may however experience carbon build up on the lens just like you would on a pistol light. Usually within a mag or 2 you'll need to clean the lens off.
    Right on, cleaning it is no problem for me, i just don't want it breaking so I wanted to make sure. I'm still up in the air on it though due to the $. Thank you for your insight.

7.62x35mm

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2024
    Nineveh
    I use a surefire 600 thats pretty much right next to my muzzle device and haven’t had a problem other than a dirty lens after a range trip!

Bluedragon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Thats the way I have all my AR15s It prevents shadows from the barrel when using the light. Cheaper 15" free float rails can be found under $100 regularly.
    I'm really leaning towards a midwest industries rail as I like how they look and how they mark their logo.

Top Bottom