• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    So...for the last few months I've had moderate to ****-me-off insomnia. My normal nighttime routine was sleep like a baby; wake up every hour like clockwork. I initially attributed this to work-stress because let's face it, working with Rhino would be enough to give even the strongest INGO'er the night-sweats and night-terrors.

To combat these unholy nights, I used the usual over the counter meds; Tylenol PM, benedryl, etc. Instead of helping, things just got worse. About a eight weeks ago, I switched to Melatonin, 10 mgs each, two per night. Again, things got worse. I'd fall asleep at bed-time, then an hour later wake up and have to pee. And not just a tinkle, we're talking the proverbial pissing like a horse here. Then, back to sleep only to repeat about 90 minutes later, just like clockwork. After a bit, I'd starting taking more Melatonin at 2 or 3 in the morning. Some nights I'd have 30 mgs of the stuff, but yet the pee-fest continued unabated and I'd wake up exhausted and almost with a hung-over feeling.

Thinking I may have prostate issues, I went to the local Roto-Rooter guys and came out with a clean as a whistle colon. Yet, the sleeplessness and massive night-time pee breaks continued.

This weekend, after a couple Saturday night glasses of rum, I neglected the Melatonin and found myself sleeping through the night, bladder totally uninvolved. So...I did some research on the web, and had a convo with my doctor. Turns out, in approx 30% of users, Melatonin causes frequent and excessive night-time urination. I'm three nights free of that hellish supplement, and three full nights sleep into recovery.

So....aside from losing a possible career in the Golden Shower industry, dumping Melatonin has been a win. IANAL and YMMV as always.

Res Ipsa Loquitor.....

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I've been taking doxylamine succinate for years. I can fall asleep without it but I wake up in an hour or two then I'm up and down all night.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Best to avoid sleep aids as a night time routine. I know it's hard, but just not a good idea chronically.

i did not know about the melatonin pee thing. I was going to suggest you take your BP med in the morning

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    FYI for anyone who hasnt been put off by the story wants to try it (or is already taking it), it works. BUT... Most people take too much.

Based on the studies Ive seen, unless prescribed by a doctor, an adult needs NO MORE than 3mg. (1mg works for me)

For the average person who just needs a nudge, you dont need tons of it. Studies have shown that more than 3mg has no improved results in the average person, and at some point it is harmful because it is still in your bloodstream in the AM and you drag a** all day. Been there done that. Thats how I know about the dosing.

Oh, and on a related note, Benadryl=Nytol. So if you have that particular allergy med in the house and cant sleep, you dont need to run to the store for a sleep aid.

Last edited:

MadBomber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg
    I am sleep-aid free and thankfully, don't need blood pressure meds. In fact, other than a multi-vitamin, I take nothing, I'm disgustingly healthy!

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    I've been an insomniac for at least 15 years. It wasn't until the last 5 that I just decided to embrace it rather than get angry. I get up, read a bit, look at the internet, and eventually go back to sleep.

Sleeping pill side effects are bad news. A friend of mine is a district attorney out west and when he told me how many cases they had prosecuted against Ambien-drivers, I swore I'd never take the stuff.

1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    As someone who suffered with insomnia for years, and at times was up for days. Over the years I tried a few OTC aids, got a prescription at one point, went to alcohol, etc. It all seemed to have a negative side effect if used chronically, which is no good. About 6 years ago I changed my diet to add more magnesium because its been found to increase sleep efficiency, and duration. Eating more beans, legumes, nuts, and leafy greens. All basically good sources of magnesium. This has greatly improved my sleeping, and it still does.

For anyone interested in the role magnesium plays in sleep check out the results of this study. The effect of magnesium supplementation on primary insomnia in elderly: A double-blind placebo-controlled clinical trial. - PubMed - NCBI

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I've been an insomniac for at least 15 years. It wasn't until the last 5 that I just decided to embrace it rather than get angry. I get up, read a bit, look at the internet, and eventually go back to sleep.

Sleeping pill side effects are bad news. A friend of mine is a district attorney out west and when he told me how many cases they had prosecuted against Ambien-drivers, I swore I'd never take the stuff.

Just for giggles, try 1mg of melatonin. It cant hurt. (unless you are in that 30% of course :dunno:) Another thing that supposedly works is Valerian Root if it is based on anxiety or your brain just not shutting off. VR has a calming effect.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Having a drink to help you sleep is possibly the first step on a road you might not wish to travel. I believe tolerance to alcohol builds quite quickly.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I must be quite an anomaly. No negative side effects from taking the DS daily for years. I have a drink in the evening 5 or 6 days a week on average and I'm not an alcoholic.

Told my Dr years ago about taking the sleeping pill every evening. He said "don't do that". I consider it the lesser of two evils. The consequences of not sleeping far outweigh the zero side effects I've experienced to date from taking the DS.

I tried melatonin, no bueno.

bradmedic04

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 24, 2013
    NWI
    Just for giggles, try 1mg of melatonin. It cant hurt. (unless you are in that 30% of course :dunno:) Another thing that supposedly works is Valerian Root if it is based on anxiety or your brain just not shutting off. VR has a calming effect.

Tried it, but not as effective as coming to INGO and reading about OC vs. CC, glock vs. 1911, or climate change. Those topics put me right to sleep.

Last edited:

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I must be quite an anomaly. No negative side effects from taking the DS daily for years.

The consequences of not sleeping far outweigh the zero side effects I've experienced to date from taking the DS.

when's the last time you went a few days without taking it? That's often when you see the issues. Maybe you have none, who knows. At this point it may be more of a crutch and your insomnia has left you long ago. Worth checking if you haven't lately.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    After years of complaining to my doctor that I had to get up and pee three times a night, my nurse practitioner suggested that I take my diuretic/BP pill in the afternoon instead of the morning. That way, the extra fluid is out of my body by bedtime and does not have a chance to build up again, so there is less to expel.

I'm down to one trip per night.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Sleep aid? Try reading the Bible.

If you are a believer, the enemy will back off and let you sleep just to prevent from growing in grace.

If you are not a believer you will be asleep within fifteen minutes.

Either way, you get to sleep.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    After many years in the Insurance industry, I think an insurance textbook would be good. You read three or four pages and zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... Happened to me a lot when studying for my license.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Alcohol actually gives me insomnia. The more I drink, the more I lay awake staring at the ceiling or watching the cats snore all night long.

I can have a glass or two of wine with dinner and be okay, but anything more than that, and I sleep an hour or so and then am awake the rest of the night.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    You can try that stuff that is advertised during the Bob and Tom show, it causes kidney failure, possible sudden death, vivid hallucinations and could lead to insomnia but it's supposed to be good for insomnia.:n00b::dunno::faint:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    Ambien was one that I tried.
    It was also the reason Spasmo gave me an infraction on INGO.
    And ordered stuff I didn't need from Amazon.
    And bid on auctions I didn't want on Ebay.
    And contacted an old high school girlfriend on Facebook by sending her cute little animated bunny humping emoticons.
    And made a permanent trail of stew and grape juice from the kitchen to my bedroom.

I really don't remember any of it other than very small flashes like the day after a drunk rager. But all the evidence after proves that it happened.

Ambien - Watch out. :xmad:

Top Bottom