• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)

I had a friend who works at a gun shop who bought a brand new Kimber 1911 style pistol. One day he dropped it straight down on to a hard surface. The safety was on and he said the inertia of the drop drove the firing pin into the bullet. This caused the gun to fire while the safety was on and as a result the gun "blew up". Kimber did not replace the firearm. That is my response. That being said, I would like to own a 1911 that is from the ww2 era because I love the history of the gun. I do not particularly like them and their features but think that they are a great part of history. This explains why people are so myopic when speaking about them because they were state of the art and cutting edge in their day. I think the Glock is a superior weapon despite being partially made of polymer. I think the polymer works with the metal slide instead of against it. I like the trigger of the 1911 much better but it does not offset how much I hate the thumb safety and the whole cocked and locked thing.
    I really do agree with your sentiment. Just know that there are certain things that are important enough to people to that the result is this type of discussion. It may be the 1911's "antiquated" technology, glock's design or safety, taurus' revolver lock work, Xd bore height,etc. Conversely, there are things that people commonly love to tout as special or impressive. This type of torture test is one such thing.

By the way, I bet you can't post as many pictures of my gun blown up with factory loaded ammunition as I can post of yours.

You expressed your misconceptions of the 1911 earlier and I attempted to correct them. Would you care to respond?

Good point. It is as if people don't realize that reliability is an common trait in modern firearms.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    I had a friend who works at a gun shop who bought a brand new Kimber 1911 style pistol. One day he dropped it straight down on to a hard surface. The safety was on and he said the inertia of the drop drove the firing pin into the bullet. This caused the gun to fire while the safety was on and as a result the gun "blew up". Kimber did not replace the firearm. That is my response. That being said, I would like to own a 1911 that is from the ww2 era because I love the history of the gun. I do not particularly like them and their features but think that they are a great part of history. This explains why people are so myopic when speaking about them because they were state of the art and cutting edge in their day. I think the Glock is a superior weapon despite being partially made of polymer. I think the polymer works with the metal slide instead of against it. I like the trigger of the 1911 much better but it does not offset how much I hate the thumb safety and the whole cocked and locked thing.

i can't see how droppin' it without the hammer hittin' the firin' pin would have enough inertia to pop the primer.......i could see if when it dropped and the sear slipped off the hammer then hit the firin' pin.......believe me if Kimber heard they had pistol that went off from dropped without the hammer hittin' the pin they would take it back in a heart beat to find out what happen.....nothing against you but i think he filled you with BS....

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle

Would you so easily dismiss a handgun of another make for a single case of catastrophic failure? Glocks have a reputation for catastrophic failure and you're not so leery of them. I don't think polymer/metal frame has much to do with anything in terms of quality or durability. I like a heavy gun and a metal frame just helps add the weight. I do own some polymers as well. Manual safeties increase the safety level of the gun and "the whole cocked and locked thing" is why they have that nice trigger pull you say you like much better.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    There's no "tinkering." They're not finicky. They, like most modern semi autos, are utterly reliable.

mmm, as a fairly new 1911 owner, I'll disagree. One does have to do some trial and error to find mags that work with their 1911's.

I've got lots of match video to remind me of that fact. :n00b:

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Unless SHTF involves some sort of freak baby powder storm there is no direct correlation between this sort of torture test and reality.

You can't say that because we don't know what SHTF/EndofTimes will look like.

Granted, we will probably run out of ammo before we run out of sh** to lube our guns with.

Reminds me... I need a shiny leather holster to OC my CQB in ;)

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    Not a single case

It was not a single case but a known issue that Kimber corrected but it tells me that the design is flawed. Dropping a gun is not a torture test but a relatively common occurence. The guy was selling a Kimber while he was telling another friend about the issue stating that it was resolved. Kimber is supposedly the flagship of this design but a gun that will discharge when dropped in the year 2000+ is not acceptable in my opinion. Dropping a gun can happen because of human nature, stress, clumsiness, etc....Baby Powder...not really sure what that says. I think the XD is a good hybrid of a glock and a 1911 if you need the dovetail safety but to each his own. My glock has not failed yet...it may tomorrow so I will stick with it.
    Would you so easily dismiss a handgun of another make for a single case of catastrophic failure? Glocks have a reputation for catastrophic failure and you're not so leery of them. I don't think polymer/metal frame has much to do with anything in terms of quality or durability. I like a heavy gun and a metal frame just helps add the weight. I do own some polymers as well. Manual safeties increase the safety level of the gun and "the whole cocked and locked thing" is why they have that nice trigger pull you say you like much better.

choppers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2009
    I'm sure Glock would be outta buisness by now if all they made were guns that blew up. Any gun from any maker that has a catastrophic malfunction could be linked to a human error somewhere along the line!!! I so get tired of people bashing each others gun maker choices.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm sure Glock would be outta buisness by now if all they made were guns that blew up. Any gun from any maker that has a catastrophic malfunction could be linked to a human error somewhere along the line!!! I so get tired of people bashing each others gun maker choices.

I agree, I get tired of the Glocks are the best threads! I also get tired of people who start threads, about "why" Glocks, just to stir the pot again.

:popcorn:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    Neither, im just interested to see these pictures. :dunno:
    I'll start with these. One is even from an INGO member.

Exploding Glock-Factory ammo... cross posted form other forum

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...blown_round_in_chamber_new_mag_catch_gtg.html

mmm, as a fairly new 1911 owner, I'll disagree. One does have to do some trial and error to find mags that work with their 1911's.

I've got lots of match video to remind me of that fact. :n00b:

That is true. Have you considered why that is? You are used to glock who makes very good factory magazines. Glocks work with glock magazines. There are dozens of 1911 mag manufacturers. Unfortunately there are varying levels of quality. Factory mags seem to be the worst. Aftermarket mags like Chip Miccormick and Wilson mags are good to go. It's a byproduct of the design being around for so long. Everybody's making them. Magazines can be a weak point for reliability in a semi auto. If there comes a time when the are multiple manufacturers of glock magazines you'll see the same issue. IIRC, isn't there some korean glock mag to avoid or something like that? I'm not sure.

You can't say that because we don't know what SHTF/EndofTimes will look like.

Granted, we will probably run out of ammo before we run out of sh** to lube our guns with.

Reminds me... I need a shiny leather holster to OC my CQB in ;)

I will grant you this one as well. I can't say I know exactly what SHTF will look like. I can tell you that I choose to prepare for it by ensuring that I can maintain regular gun care rather than attempting to see just how much abuse and neglect my guns can take.

It was not a single case but a known issue that Kimber corrected but it tells me that the design is flawed. Dropping a gun is not a torture test but a relatively common occurence. The guy was selling a Kimber while he was telling another friend about the issue stating that it was resolved. Kimber is supposedly the flagship of this design but a gun that will discharge when dropped in the year 2000+ is not acceptable in my opinion. Dropping a gun can happen because of human nature, stress, clumsiness, etc....Baby Powder...not really sure what that says. I think the XD is a good hybrid of a glock and a 1911 if you need the dovetail safety but to each his own. My glock has not failed yet...it may tomorrow so I will stick with it.

There are 1911's available with a firing pin safety if you are concerned with dropping it. I didn't know dropping a gun was a common occurrence.

Incorrect. Glock would be out of business if people stopped buying their guns because the have a propensity toward blowing up as well as their other issues. That hasn't happened yet and isn't likely to. There are enough people that view the odds a small enough to not worry about or are unwilling to admit there is a problem at all so glocks keep selling.

It's not always human related. (see factory ammo kabooms above.) Yet when it is there is still more room for error with a fully supported chamber. An oversized, under supported chamber will always be a contributing factor to a kaboom.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010

From that website...

Statistics again. Case failure. Had a ruptured case in my G17 years ago with similar outcome. Minor burn to my strong hand, but no broken parts on the pistol. I still have it and shoot often.....even at local matches. Scroll to the bottom of the thread in the link to find the other brands of pistol KB's. Looks like the last one is a Springfield following a SIG and H&K. Anyone who shoots a lot will likely encounter some issue down the road whether it be reloads or factory ammo, with a Glock, 1911, or whatever. Now......everybody run out and sell all of your guns before you hurt yourself. Better yet......just quit buying ammo. The shooting sports have risks the same as a lot of other sporting activities. Who likes rodeo or PBR? Anyone here skydive? Know the statistics of you being in an automobile accident tomorrow? Ever been struck by lightning? Won the lottery?

It also seems like every glock ive seen blown up (the total ive seen is 3... out of how many millions of glocks) have all been 2 .45s and 1 .40 ... ive never seen anything wrong with the 9mms.

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    From that website...

Statistics again. Case failure. Had a ruptured case in my G17 years ago with similar outcome. Minor burn to my strong hand, but no broken parts on the pistol. I still have it and shoot often.....even at local matches. Scroll to the bottom of the thread in the link to find the other brands of pistol KB's. Looks like the last one is a Springfield following a SIG and H&K. Anyone who shoots a lot will likely encounter some issue down the road whether it be reloads or factory ammo, with a Glock, 1911, or whatever. Now......everybody run out and sell all of your guns before you hurt yourself. Better yet......just quit buying ammo. The shooting sports have risks the same as a lot of other sporting activities. Who likes rodeo or PBR? Anyone here skydive? Know the statistics of you being in an automobile accident tomorrow? Ever been struck by lightning? Won the lottery?

It also seems like every glock ive seen blown up (the total ive seen is 3... out of how many millions of glocks) have all been 2 .45s and 1 .40 ... ive never seen anything wrong with the 9mms.

You missed the point. I was talking about the glock's unique ability to blow up with factory ammo. If you pack enough powder into a case you'll have problems in any gun. You should not see any gun with a history of letting go with factory ammo.

Ok, your turn to post some accounts of my carry gun kabooming with factory ammo. I carry Xd's and 1911's so you have even more choices.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    xdkb4-tm.jpg

amtkaboom2-tm.jpg

squibbload2.jpg

KaBoom.jpg

g19_cracked_frame2.jpg

kaboom_02-tfb.jpg

kaboom_7-tfb.jpg

there is a decent start.

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    well finding images labeled factory or not is pretty hard to find. Its not hard to find images of your guns blown up. Every mfg has duds and most mfgs have thousands and thousands of perfect guns that have never had a problem once. Youre also not taking into account how old the guns are, if they were properly taken care of, or any other number of variables.

The point of me saying arguing over this is dumb was to avoid going any deeper into a pointless argument. If you dont like glock, thats perfectly fine. I do, so I dont care.

I am looking at getting an xd40 subcompact in od green though... so I guess ill have some better arguments for you after that happens.

:)

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    well finding images labeled factory or not is pretty hard to find. Its not hard to find images of your guns blown up. Every mfg has duds and most mfgs have thousands and thousands of perfect guns that have never had a problem once. Youre also not taking into account how old the guns are, if they were properly taken care of, or any other number of variables.

The point of me saying arguing over this is dumb was to avoid going any deeper into a pointless argument. If you dont like glock, thats perfectly fine. I do, so I dont care.

I am looking at getting an xd40 subcompact in od green though... so I guess ill have some better arguments for you after that happens.

:)

Let me help you. There aren't any pics of 1911's or Xd's blowing up with factory ammo. They have fully supported, properly sized chambers. The closest I've seen an account of a gun shop owner telling a guy, who told another guy, that he had a guy who came in his shop with an XD kaboomed with factory ammo. It's third party information and no body knows who the original gun owner was or how accurate the information was. All this and glocks have a reputation for blowing up even with factory ammo.

Anyway, this thread was originally about torture tests. Do you see how worrying about torture tests is silly when there are so many other more practical issue it consider?

IndyGunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Glock barrels are designed for combat reliability not made to fire reloads or to be gentle on brass. Most kabooms come from over charged handloads, or ammo from used brass that has been fired several times or just plain bad reloads.
    Anyone who has expectation beyond combat reliability is irrational. Glocks will chamber and fire new factory ammo with unparelled reliability. If you want to fire reloads, overmax spec ammo, lead, or want to save brass get an aftermarket barrel.

40chambers-1.jpg

Anyway, this thread was originally about torture tests. Do you see how worrying about torture tests is silly when there are so many other more practical issue it consider?

Didnt I already say this earlier in this thread...

Top Bottom