• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Thompson Center has always been touted the "best". While i don't doubt this and I do own one. I believe that the CVA Accura II is also a great choice. People say CVA isn't such a great choice because of problems that arose in the late 90's with them yet they refer to them like it happened yesterday. The CVA's of today are of no trouble IMO.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    the best overall factory produced muzzleloader is either the tc prohunter or the savage 10ml depending on who you ask. i like the tc prohunter best personally.

the best bang for your buck is the tc omega

MadCity Hoosier

Plinker
    Jul 28, 2010
    Greencastle
    I will never be willing to consider a CVA as a viable option given their willful disregard for safety last decade.

My personal choice is the Savage 10MLII. Once you add up all the advantages of the Savage, no other factory gun can compete.

forthehousew

Plinker
    Mar 10, 2011
    indy
    Try Knight, with power stem (which requires loose powder) 209 shotgun ignition in stainless. Amazing 100yrd accuracy probably due to excellent trigger and barrel.

indianabob

Plinker
    Nov 27, 2011
    i own and love my savage 10mlII i shoot a dueplex smokeless load under a 250gr xtp. it is like mass destruction what this load does to a deer. at the muzzle i am cranking out a little over 2600 fps!!! ...i am buying the new encore pro hunter fx for my gf hoping she can handle the recoil.
    the fx is a new model encore with a new "cheaper" price $499 at cabelas right now. hope this info helps!

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    My old Knight from the late 1990s is still a work horse, good gun and cheap. I think it is an LK93 model. My wife and boys gave me a new Traditions in line, got it on sale through Cabelas for under $100. It is a good gun to, nothing fancy but solid. Shop around and see what you like, I keep hearing good things about T/C and must say that I'd like to have one.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I will never be willing to consider a CVA as a viable option given their willful disregard for safety last decade.

yeah, nevermind the fact they use Bergara barrels and the CVA Apex & Accura are better rifles than the Encore and Pro Hunter and $300 cheaper...

In May 1999 Blackpowder Products, Inc. purchased the assets of Connecticut Valley Arms, Inc., so it's not even the same company that had problems. Only the CVA name remained.

My $169 Wolf has a quick breach plug... and the Omega still nees a wrench?

I was a big TC fanboy... until I got my first CVA. Haven't looked back since.

YoungBlood21

Plinker
    Aug 24, 2011
    Greenfield
    I'm new to muzzleloading myself and have heard really good things about CVA's. I did hear about the problems in the early '90s but they have fixed the problem and as said before are a new company completely but with the same name. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one and am actually looking for one of their Optimas right now.

Wolfe28

Plinker
    Nov 21, 2011
    Thompson Center has always been touted the "best". While i don't doubt this and I do own one... The CVA's of today are of no trouble IMO.

Agreed. Now adays, I don't think it matters as much, as long as you go with the quality line of any of todays inline makers. In the 80's and early 90's, I think TC did make the best muzzleloaders, traditional or inline (I now own one of each). They set the bar back then, and now, I think most manufactures meet that bar on most of their products.

D

bud1976

Plinker
    Nov 25, 2011
    I have owned many CVA's never had a problem. I just perfer the TC's they do seem to have a slightly better fit and finish.

Adrian8

Marksman
    Dec 5, 2011
    i own and love my savage 10mlII i shoot a dueplex smokeless load under a 250gr xtp. it is like mass destruction what this load does to a deer. at the muzzle i am cranking out a little over 2600 fps!!! ...i am buying the new encore pro hunter fx for my gf hoping she can handle the recoil.
    the fx is a new model encore with a new "cheaper" price $499 at cabelas right now. hope this info helps!
    Savage is the only "commercial" mz able to shoot all three types of powder..The smokeless powder is much cheaper to shoot than pelletized loads, cleaning is easy and there is no smoke to obscure the shot...Nothing I have EVER shot a deer with does what the Savage ML ll does to deer...nothing. Descriptions are X-rated..sorry. Savages are hard to find as Savage Arms just makes short runs of them, they were discontinued for awhile..Savage is making them again..

Top Bottom