• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Embody had painted the barrel tip of the gun orange, typically an indication
    that the gun is a toy. An officer could fairly suspect that Embody had used the paint to
    disguise an illegal weapon.
    I'd call that a legitimate stop. The officers don't have much to work with but what's in front of them, and a real gun painted with the signature mark of a toy one is a little suspect.

I don't think missions like this help gun rights as much as they call attention to the individual, but I guess I can "appreciate" his attempt. :dunno:

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I think the one thing that would make me think twice about this is a Draco has a 12" barrel. Actually, MINE has somewhere between a 12-1/16" and 12-1/8" barrel.

and is this guy really an INGOer?? Like an active INGOer? Im pretty sure he has been kicked off numerous other websites for some of his posts, at least back when this came out I seem to remember that.

Dwight

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Sheridan
    I read the finding. it seems that he was looking for trouble and found it. Not sure why he is upset.

Right on the money. I'm all for exercising our rights. But, when you go looking for trouble and find it, then don't get bent out of shape.

Come on, painting the tip of the barrel orange? :noway:

shortyforty

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    middlebury
    Ok bottom line is he did nothing wrong, the clothes are not illegal . Painting a fire arm is not illegal . During the first stop before he was detained an officer had the opertunity to find out what type of firearm it was . And with it being a second stop the felony stop was bs. And it does not take 2 and a half hours to get a tape measure an do a google search.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    While I tend to agree with the decision, the tone of that Opinion seemed a tad dismissive. Most I have read seem to use much more neutral language. Maybe that's just their style....

Wearing camo, with a slung AK pistol and a painted orange tip?

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    So it's not a Fourth Amendment violation to stop every car to determine if the driver has a driver's license now? Oh, wait....

badwolf.usmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    2 hourse SE of Chicago
    Ok bottom line is he did nothing wrong, the clothes are not illegal . Painting a fire arm is not illegal . During the first stop before he was detained an officer had the opertunity to find out what type of firearm it was . And with it being a second stop the felony stop was bs. And it does not take 2 and a half hours to get a tape measure an do a google search.

It states in the decision that one major reason for the taking so long was that he insisted on having a police supervisor there, even after he was told it would mean that the encounter would take longer.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    So it's not a Fourth Amendment violation to stop every car to determine if the driver has a driver's license now? Oh, wait....

IIRC, there was a SCOTUS ruling specific to this issue ( I think it was Delaware v. Prouse, but not sure.) There has been no such ruling in re: a state-issued permission slip relative to the carry of a firearm.

Blessings,
    Bill

downzero

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2010
    IIRC, there was a SCOTUS ruling specific to this issue ( I think it was Delaware v. Prouse, but not sure.) There has been no such ruling in re: a state-issued permission slip relative to the carry of a firearm.

Blessings,
    Bill

I'm aware of that.

It doesn't make stopping him any more reasonable. Stopping every car to see if the driver is licensed is unreasonable. Stopping everyone with a gun to see if they have a license is basically a perfect analogy, because it requires the same presumption--that if someone is doing something that requires a license, that unless and until that fact is verified, that they do not have the license and thus it is "reasonable" to stop them and determine if they do.

My view is that it is not a reasonable presumption to assume that everyone who is carrying a gun is unlicensed in a shall issue state where any law abiding citizen can get a license.

Top Bottom