• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    I am looking into getting a safety razor. I know Merkurs and Parkers are some of the most reviewed items. I saw Meijer had a Van Der Hagen safety razor and 5 blades for 19.99. Has anybody have experience with this brand? Amazon reviewers give it 4 stars on average. Would I be able to get by with this pack and just some shaving cream (not the aerosol foam) for now while seeing if this works for me? I priced the stuff I would need to get started including badger brush, bowl, shave soap, Merkur safety razor and a variety pack of blades all for around 80 dollars. That is a lot to just try to wet shave the first time, so i am wanting to get the least items needed to test it out. Any help would be appreciated.

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    QUOTE=RyanGSams;6250335]I am looking into getting a safety razor. I know Merkurs and Parkers are some of the most reviewed items. I saw Meijer had a Van Der Hagen safety razor and 5 blades for 19.99. Has anybody have experience with this brand? Amazon reviewers give it 4 stars on average. Would I be able to get by with this pack and just some shaving cream (not the aerosol foam) for now while seeing if this works for me? I priced the stuff I would need to get started including badger brush, bowl, shave soap, Merkur safety razor and a variety pack of blades all for around 80 dollars. That is a lot to just try to wet shave the first time, so i am wanting to get the least items needed to test it out. Any help would be appreciated.[/QUOTE]

I would highly recommend for a first time safety razor experience to get the dorco prime starter set. You will get a mild shaving razor and thirty blades that will be better than the blades you will get in the set you mentioned. Get this set and use can foam and see if you like that experience before investing in a brush and other soaps. Go to slickdeals website and search for dorco. You will find a 30% off coupon. Then enter the dorco site from slickdeals. You should find the prime starter set marked down to $17.50 from $25, then apply the coupon code to reduce to $14 with free shipping over $10.

RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    I would highly recommend for a first time safety razor experience to get the dorco prime starter set. You will get a mild shaving razor and thirty blades that will be better than the blades you will get in the set you mentioned. Get this set and use can foam and see if you like that experience before investing in a brush and other soaps. Go to slickdeals website and search for dorco. You will find a 30% off coupon. Then enter the dorco site from slickdeals. You should find the prime starter set marked down to $17.50 from $25, then apply the coupon code to reduce to $14 with free shipping over $10.

There is no 30% coupon on slickdeals. Everyone that i found and tried to apply was expired. And the Dorco Prime starter set is not marked down to 17.50. Still selling at 25 dollars.

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    There is no 30% coupon on slickdeals. Everyone that i found and tried to apply was expired. And the Dorco Prime starter set is not marked down to 17.50. Still selling at 25 dollars.
    It's there. I bought another this morning. 30% off coupon that expires at end of December. If you do as I described you can buy for fourteen dollars shipped.

RyanGSams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2013
    Portage
    It's there. I bought another this morning. 30% off coupon that expires at end of December. If you do as I described you can buy for fourteen dollars shipped.

I found it. For some reason cant find it on slick deals website on my computer but pops up right away on my phone. Plus was at the wrong Dorco website looking for the discount. I found it so thank you. How long do they normally take to ship? I was hoping to have it before Christmas.

gwingo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 2, 2015
    Indysub
    Hello,

I have been wet shaving for some years and started in a fashion similar to yours. Razors and brushes, like guns, come varying quality. For my money I would stay away from Parker and Van Der Hagen razors and brushes. They are less expensive then others for a reason. Edwin Jagger and Merkur make excellent entry level razors for around $40.00. Smogue makes excellent entry level brushes.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I'm in Chezuki's camp. Start hitting up the antique malls and flea markets. I bought a 50's era Schick Krona for $5 a few years ago, and still use it every couple days. You can find some nice Gillette razors for $10-20 that are as well built, or better built than anything you'll find for a comparable price on Amazon or where ever today.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    Thanks guys. Done

Looking forward to a better shave/lower cost.

I found it. For some reason cant find it on slick deals website on my computer but pops up right away on my phone. Plus was at the wrong Dorco website looking for the discount. I found it so thank you. How long do they normally take to ship? I was hoping to have it before Christmas.

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis

Glad you found it. As far as shipping if you opted for the free shipping i doubt you will get it before Christmas but should come soon.

I understand the desire to step up to a Gillette or other fine razor but i think this is like learning to ride a bike. Start small with the training wheels on and build up to the fancy mountain or road bike. Start with a mild razor and work on your technique and know you are committed to wet shaving before investing in the nicer tools. Plus the dorco razor can always be a travel razor in the future. You won't feel as bad leaving that sitting on the hotel sink counter compared to your merkur razor and badger brush.

Also, if you eventually consider buying a used Gillette razor, be sure you are comfortable cleaning and disinfecting them yourself. It might be worth a few extra bucks for a new, clean razor.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    Received this Christmas Eve. Looking forward to using it.

By the way, how do you dispose of your discarded double edge blades? Can't have those bad boys popping out the trash bag.

View attachment 43770

Nevermind ... I just realized there is a slot in the back of the new blade dispenser to slip used blades in. Noob

Last edited:

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I have over 200 Feather and 100 Derby DE blades and most of my shaving lately has been done with one of these which only uses half of a blade.

P-SR1-T.jpg

If I used something like that .....

All you, would have a Funeral, to attend .......

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    Two months in and this experiment has worked out surprisingly well.
    At first I was tentative... afraid I would shave off some chin like a cheese slicer, but it never happened.
    Now it is like old hat with no worries... just have to get the feel for it.
    The best part is how close the shave is and how long the blades have lasted. A bit over 2 months and I just put in blade #3.
    So I have spent about $25 for the razor and 30 blades. That's about 20 months worth.
    Right now there is a coupon for 25% off 25VDAYNOW
    Dorco Prime Starter Set - Dorco USA
    Using Cremo Cream shave cream from Meijers.
    Thanks for the thread.

View attachment 44954

View attachment 44955

The Sandman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2012
    Lafayette
    Just ran across this thread and as I got into wet shaving last year, I thought I'd add my :twocents:. At the moment I'm rotating between the Merkur 37c slant and a classic GEM Junior. The Merkur is slightly aggressive, but not bad as long as you pay attention. I'm using Personna Blues and Astra SPs in it. I'm loving the GEM Jr., probably one of the smoothest shaves I get! I have a boar brush, but leaning on my Omega synthetic more and more for mostly face lathering. Soaps? Geez, where to start, one must experiment, right? Right now, it's usually Prorasso Blue or Mitchell's Wool Fat. I can't quit faceterbating after using "the fat".

Anyway, just some of my experiences. Also, I've bought a good bit from these folks Maggard Razors - Straight Razor Restoration, Custom Scales and Wet Shaving Products No relation, no connection, just good price and they are just across the border in the mitten, so quick turn around time. Speaking of soaps, they have an Artisan line that are very good that I use now and then. Bergamot and lime, love the scent.

20160316_223136.jpg

Top Bottom