• ...and so much more!
  • chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    My wife got this for my birthday last month
    The Bluebeards Revenge ?Privateer Collection? Double Edge Razor Gift Set (Gift Boxed) | The Bluebeards Revenge

Plus a variety pack of blades from EBay between persona and feathers (blades) I am still astonished after each shave how smooth it is!

Certainly takes longer, for real, about 20 minutes, so I only use it about twice a week and suffer through with my electric on the other days. My DE shave is close that the next day after is still as good as fours hours after I would have used the electric. And cartridges ...... geez over a dollar a piece - never again

Speed comes with practice. If I'm in a hurry, I can get a quite decent 2 pass shave in in 5 minutes start to finish.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    Hey guys. Is there a local place I can get a badger or boars hair brush for my wet shaving? Mine fell apart today and I don't think I can go without shaving for the time it would take to get on ordered and shipped. With Christmas on it's way shipping will be SLOW. I live on the Southside, but I will be in Carmel tomorrow. Thanks. -Jason

jimmythang

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    For tips go to mantic59'a YouTube cHanne

Corny? Maybe...but he knows his stuff.

I went through 2 Edwin jagger razors. The thread stripped on the first (not my fault). They sent me a new one from London with a handwritten note. The second one my wife broke when she knocked it off the shower (still not my fault). I use a merkur 34c and a muhle.

The razor is everything. What works for me may not work for you. For that go here and buy this.
    DE Blade Sampler Pack, Everything

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Hey guys. Is there a local place I can get a badger or boars hair brush for my wet shaving? Mine fell apart today and I don't think I can go without shaving for the time it would take to get on ordered and shipped. With Christmas on it's way shipping will be SLOW. I live on the Southside, but I will be in Carmel tomorrow. Thanks. -Jason
    If you are really desperate you can go to art of shaving in Keystone and drop a little coin. The brush will be way over priced but if you need it, you have it right now. Or check Wally World for the VDH set, again maybe a little over priced for what it is but you will have one right now and cheaper than AoS. If I was in town I would be willing to loan you a brush until whatever you wanted to order came in., but I do not get home until Sunday night and Monday is just jammed for me

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Shaving is for teenagers and men who can't grow beards.

Guilty....Five chest hairs and I only shave once every two weeks.....I am blessed with a bit of Injun DNA that makes for a face that stays in perpetual 12 year old mode....Wife likes it but it was rough on me in my late teens...I was running a trap line and all my "Real" mountain man friends had beards but me.....

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

CVS, Sally's and Meijer have ****ty $5 boar brushes, but they have them. I actually bought one, pulled the know out of it, and replaced it with a premium silvertip badger knot from HERE.

12bee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I get a pack of 5 dbl edge blades at Dollar General for 1.25 and use them in a Gillette with Barbasol. Been shaving for most of the past 40 years (had a beard for 5 or 6 yrs) with a Gillette and Barbasol. A blade lasts me 3 to 4 wks with everyday use. The secret to making a blade last is to rinse it with very hot water and getting it dried quick. My razor goes on top of, instead of inside the medicine cabinet and gets air this way.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    I get a pack of 5 dbl edge blades at Dollar General for 1.25 and use them in a Gillette with Barbasol. Been shaving for most of the past 40 years (had a beard for 5 or 6 yrs) with a Gillette and Barbasol. A blade lasts me 3 to 4 wks with everyday use. The secret to making a blade last is to rinse it with very hot water and getting it dried quick. My razor goes on top of, instead of inside the medicine cabinet and gets air this way.
    tried that, 5 shaves with a cartridge would never happen, 4 I looked like a got to close to the kitchen aid. 2-3 shaves on a DE blade and I am done. $15 for 100 Voskhod Teflon coated sure beats any cartridge.

12bee

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    tried that, 5 shaves with a cartridge would never happen, 4 I looked like a got to close to the kitchen aid. 2-3 shaves on a DE blade and I am done. $15 for 100 Voskhod Teflon coated sure beats any cartridge.
    That is all I used to get until I made sure the blade was clean and really hot so it would dry. Any residue left will hold moisture and corrode the blade, dulling it. I have heavy beard and could shave twice a day, but don't. I will have to try those Voskhod blades. 15 cents each is a definitely cheaper than the DG brand I've been using.

Last edited:

BrewerGeorge

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Plainfield
    I still use the Walmart boar brush every time I shave. Even though I have a badger, I like the boar better. You may have to buy the kit to get the brush though, depending on the individual Walmart.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    That is all I used to get until I made sure the blade was clean and really hot so it would dry. Any residue left will hold moisture and corrode the blade, dulling it. I have heavy beard and could shave twice a day, but don't. I will have to try those Voskhod blades. 15 cents each is a definitely cheaper than the DG brand I've been using.
    Hell I even had laser on my entire beard line and neck, I'm pretty happy with how my DE's have been treating me. My daily shaver is a slant and I couldn't be happier. If you are searching for blades, I highly suggest tryablade.com where you can literally but one single de blade, better than dropping $ on a five or 10 pack and nit liking them. Different blades do well or worse in different razors. When I got the slant I bought 23 pairs of different blades to try. So far in my stainless slant Voskhod has been the best. In my aluminum identical slant I like black 7 O'Clocks just a little better but the Voskhod works about as good.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Bringing this thread back to life as I'm getting ready to upgrade my $10 razor to a $30ish model. Lots of commentary on the Amazon reviews, nearly too much to sift.

Advice appreciated. TIA

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Bringing this thread back to life as I'm getting ready to upgrade my $10 razor to a $30ish model. Lots of commentary on the Amazon reviews, nearly too much to sift.

Advice appreciated. TIA
    What are you considering buying?

I keep it simple and inexpensive myself. I use a Merkur 33C safety razor, Astra blades or sometimes Personna Blues, Omega 10049 Boar brush, Arko stick soap or CO Bigelow cream. You could buy most of those items from Amazon. I would suggest instead westcoastshaving.com. I like this site because I can also order soap stick dispensers and blade banks. Amazon and Ebay are hard to beat sometimes on blade purchases.

I would also suggest purchasing salsa bowls from Dollar Tree. Most of the times I face lather with the ARKO. But if I choose to lather in a bowl, these salsa bowls are perfect. They are a good size, have a little texture in the bowl which helps create lather and have little feet on the bottom which help in holding the bowl steady while whipping with your brush.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    What are you considering buying?

I keep it simple and inexpensive myself. I use a Merkur 33C safety razor, Astra blades or sometimes Personna Blues, Omega 10049 Boar brush, Arko stick soap or CO Bigelow cream. You could buy most of those items from Amazon. I would suggest instead westcoastshaving.com. I like this site because I can also order soap stick dispensers and blade banks. Amazon and Ebay are hard to beat sometimes on blade purchases.

I would also suggest purchasing salsa bowls from Dollar Tree. Most of the times I face lather with the ARKO. But if I choose to lather in a bowl, these salsa bowls are perfect. They are a good size, have a little texture in the bowl which helps create lather and have little feet on the bottom which help in holding the bowl steady while whipping with your brush.

Thanks. I've been at this for a bit over 3 years. I'm pretty solid on everything except for the model of razor I want to upgrade to. Amazon is my go to company, I'm a prime member.

I've looked at the Merkurs. It appears they all have 4 and a half stars. I notice some models have a lot more reveiws that the others?

skydelta34

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Thanks. I've been at this for a bit over 3 years. I'm pretty solid on everything except for the model of razor I want to upgrade to. Amazon is my go to company, I'm a prime member.

I've looked at the Merkurs. It appears they all have 4 and a half stars. I notice some models have a lot more reveiws that the others?

If I was buying only a razor, agreed, Amazon is the way to go. You probably cant go wrong with a lot of the name brand razors in that price range. I would suggest something with some weight to it because you want the razor to do the work, not you applying pressure. The longer handled razor was just a personal preference.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    hmm, I'm liking this.

I've used the same 50's era Schick Krona for two and a half years, almost since I got started wet shaving. I bought 100 Astra blades about that same time, too. I've used a couple other blades, but changing a blade every 4-6 shaves (2-3 weeks), and that 100 is still going. A month or so ago, I bought a new tub of Proraso Sandalwood. It's quite nice.

HalfCocked

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I just stumbled on this thread, if this has already been covered then my apology. The best site for saving info is Home - Badger & Blade they have reviews of every shaving product/ blade/ razor and a shave wiki with tons of info. Cover DE and straight plus most of the multi-blade stuff.

Top Bottom