INGO TOP-TENS(best FIGHTER aircraft of all time)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I always thought the Mosquito was for close support and recon. They were the wooden wonders weren't they?

Yes but I understand they could dog fight as well if they were properly flown. They could check out on about anything flying at the time....2 full tilt Merlin's and see ya later.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Yes but I understand they could dog fight as well if they were properly flown. They could check out on about anything flying at the time....2 full tilt Merlin's and see ya later.
    Plus the light weight of wood over metal. Yes, I heard they were about the fastest thing going. But I didn't think they had guns. I'm probably wrong.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep, had nose guns and some had cannons. Terror to Uboats. Saw that on the History Channel of course.

Google The DeHaviland Mosquito.....Day and night fighters with cannon and machine guns. I bet that thing was a freaking monster. It is a couple of wings and a fuselage hung on two Merlin's....:woot:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    P-38 had some issues, was not the easiest to master, but in the hands of a skilled pilot who knew how it could work it could go against anything.

Hellcat had most kills in the Pacific with I think over 4000 kills, but it was the most used plane over there, outstanding plane.

Thunderbolt was a tank in the sky that saved alot of pilots lives because it was so tough, but it wasn't just for air to air so may have to count that out.

P-51 late model was the pilots dream, and those that flew others said they loved the P-51, all you had to do was think what you wanted it to do and it did it.

My favorite was the P-38 Forktail....but probably the best of the best to be in was the late P-51, so my vote goes to it.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    P-38 had some issues, was not the easiest to master, but in the hands of a skilled pilot who knew how it could work it could go against anything.

Hellcat had most kills in the Pacific with I think over 4000 kills, but it was the most used plane over there, outstanding plane.

Thunderbolt was a tank in the sky that saved alot of pilots lives because it was so tough, but it wasn't just for air to air so may have to count that out.

P-51 late model was the pilots dream, and those that flew others said they loved the P-51, all you had to do was think what you wanted it to do and it did it.

My favorite was the P-38 Forktail....but probably the best of the best to be in was the late P-51, so my vote goes to it.

The engines on the P-38 rotated opposing to counter torque steer. One engine rotated clockwise, the other was counter clockwise if memory serves.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    OK, no further opinions will be taken into the count.

Feel free to discuss everything that is fighter aircraft.

I was gone for awhile so it took me longer to do this that I planned. Hopefully I will have the results today.

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    I am resurrecting an old thread to share some pictures that I like that a member of the VMF/VMA-211 group shared with us, and a great aircraft in its time.
    10648266_685900158171124_218924042750433395_o.jpg

Top Bottom