• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Do you guys use HDR a lot when taking pics? I think I will be mostly interested in landscapes and some animal photography. Won't be doing sports.

Can you guys recommend some good magazine subscriptions that are geared toward amateurs? I'm not interested in magazines where the cheapest rig cost more than I make in a year.

sbnewsom

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 6, 2008
    St. John
    Looks good!

I consider myself somewhat of a professional photographer and the only file type that I use is RAW. It's incredible how much detail you can pull out of shadows during the editing process and how much you can tweak the photo. Once I import all of my .nef (raw) images into adobe lightroom and make edits, then I convert them over to JPG and export. If you haven't looked into Lightroom, I recommend it.

I never do HDR but I agree with you. I think that's more for landscapes and architecture shooting.

I recommend following Tips for Taking Photos | Photography Tip | How To for Photographers I have learned a ton from this guy. He puts out a ton of youtube videos. Some are a waste of time but his "5 minute portraits" and other guides really help.

cook5oh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Southern Indiana
    I normally shoot in raw. You can definitely tweak your shots better in raw. Jpg compression will get rid of those fine details in shadows that you could normally bring out.

I use photoshop CS6 to import and then use a plugin from DXO Labs to edit the shot . I highly recommend you try DXO Labs with your shots. There is a free 30 day trial. The OpticsPro program is nice for fixing lighting and other issues and FilmPack is great. FilmPack lets you convert the images to old film style. I use the TriX setting a lot for my black and white and it looks just like old TriX film. If your an old time 35mm film guy like me, you will appreciate FilmPack.

Top Bottom