• Status
    Not open for further replies.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Chezuki, how are you using INGO smilies? It won't let me just copy and paste. Are you using them as pics?

Type this:

[noparse]
    grouphug.gif
    [/noparse]

Using the image location url of the smiley you want to use.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I was simply questioning your time frame. It was a bit of a joke. I doubt there was much internet action 25 years ago.

And there you would be wrong. While the web was born 25 years ago, and the internet itself wasn't a household word, there was a LOT of action on the internet. Us nerds, academics, researchers, and a whole host of people doing real work and having fun were using it.

I got my start on the internet with email and bbs in 1983, and before that direct dial-in bbs in 1980. By 1989 there were tens of millions of people using the internet around the world and some of the early gun fora, while they may have been smaller than InGO is now, felt like they were an entire world unto themselves, and as those transitioned to USENET (which was transported via the internet), they got bigger and bigger, many to the point of unusability because of the sheer volume of spam and trolls.

I know to the youngsters here the internet may only seem like the web, but in 1990 after I had been working as a networks technician for a year, I made the comment to my uncle at a family reunion that within ten years pretty much everything was going to be done or available via the internet and the web.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom