INGO motorcyclists-What's your threshold of pain?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    A few years back I commuted 50 mi. one way to work. I was able to ride without resorting to any heated clothing down to mid 40s in temperature, but that was arriving to work with numb fingers and neck. I realize that there was probably some minor hypothermia going on, as my reaction time was slowed. So my question is.... what is your personal threshold of pain (degrees Farenheit)for riding longer distances with unheated clothing, and any suggestions for preventing the fingers, toes,knees, and neck from going numb? :dunno: I think everyone is different. I only have problems with my fingers and somewhat my neck, but others complain about knees and toes.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I don't know about temperature... but one time I rode from Westifield (north side of indy) to the riverboat in New Albany (Caesars at the time) and back in one day on an R6.

Never again.

shawkpilot

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2008
    Lawrenceburg
    My club does a New Years ride every year. I've gone a few times. I think I was riding at 23 degrees once. That was cold! Find a good pair of gloves, and I wear a baclava (sp?) to cover my neck.

We always take the quads out when it snows though. This is a pic from when we rode in freezing rain. Arms were frozen in place, had 1/8" ice on everything and got home sweaty! Once it gets really cold, I park the bikes, and grab the quad.

148.jpg

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Those chemical hand/feet warmers are great for cold weather riding, especially for us older guys who's circulation isn't what it used to be, aside from that, layered clothing preferably with thick leather on the outside layer to keep the wind from penetrating through the layers & replacing the trapped body heat is pretty much mandatory.

A full face helmet is also really nice for cold weather riding, it'll help keep your eyes from watering up real bad (I guess that's a bodily defense mechanism to keep your eyeballs from becoming frost-bitten), however fog can become an issue with a full face helmet so make sure that you keep plenty of anti-fog wipes handy.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I rode 1000 miles at an average day time temps of 20* - 30* to make it home. I could only stand to ride during the daylight hours to about 30 minutes after sundown, then my hands and feet would freeze. Good Leathers, layered clothing, multiple socks & coffee stops. Instead of the planned 2 day journey it required 3 because of the shortened day sunlight. Luckily, No Precipitation and Full Sun for March. Galveston, TX to Indy

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    You guys are too tough for me, 55 degrees is my limit and that's only if it's going to be in the 70's when I get off work. Of course other than my helmet, riding jacket and gloves I don't have anything that would be considered cold weather gear. Once I pick up that FJR I've been drooling over for awhile I might ride a little colder due to the windshield, don't have one on my current bike.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Heated grips and seats are way more effective than I'd thought they would be.

They can run off the accessory plug or can be wired into the bikes low volt at some place of your choosing.

I want a dual sport bike pretty bad right now.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    My club does a New Years ride every year. I've gone a few times. I think I was riding at 23 degrees once. That was cold! Find a good pair of gloves, and I wear a baclava (sp?) to cover my neck.

We always take the quads out when it snows though. This is a pic from when we rode in freezing rain. Arms were frozen in place, had 1/8" ice on everything and got home sweaty! Once it gets really cold, I park the bikes, and grab the quad.

148.jpg
    Thats a cool (pardon the pun) photo! Been there and done that. But it really gets miserable when you have to put that wet/frozen gear back on to search for a buddy that doesn't show up at the truck after an hour or so. I speak from experience....We found him huddling under a bridge, freezing and hypothermic. His ability to curse us, interestingly enough, remained unaltered. :D

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    If I get the gear on before going outside, then I'll typically ride down into the upper 40s. If I go outside without gear to fetch something out of the car, chances are I just start up the car while I'm out there.

Wind resistant under layers is a must for cold weather riding. I have a Joe Rocket mesh jacket and with the lining in is nice and toasty warm. I also wear the balaclava if it's going to cold and that helps a TON. In the absense of that, a good scarf works wonders. When buying a balaclava, get one that is full length front and back. Most are only long in front and short in back. They work ok, but every now and then you get a little blast of cold air on the back of your neck.

I also wear the rain liners in my riding pants and that helps, but it's not nearly as good as the lining in my jacket.

you can also get something that attaches to the bottom of your helmet that basically seals against your neck keeping the wind out. I would imagine that would be nice to have.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I ride almost 30 miles each way for work. One night I left work it was 28 degrees. I usually quit riding when it's 32. There's a big difference between 28 and 32. I bought a set of Gerbings heated pants but haven't got around to hooking them up yet. With those pants, about 3 layers of jackets, balaclavas, 3/4 helmet and neoprene gloves, I just start to get chilled at 25 miles in mid 30 degree weather. Find you a set of scuba diver neoprene gloves. They make all the difference in the world!

JBrockman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Amity, Johnson Count
    Find a friend that is a firefighter, ask them to locate you a pair of bunker pants and the gloves we use. They are mostly water resistant and extremely wind and temperature resistant. May look a bit odd going down the road but have worn these on my motorcycle when the snow was falling with no problem. Also great for being outside in the winter working.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    My daily commute is 44.9 miles. It consists of country roads, city streets and interstates. In mid 40's temps....I use walls blizzard proof bibs and jacket. They are available at Wal-mart for a reasonable price. My gloves are the Exhale 360's....(dick's) great gloves. My issue has always been choice of footware. My nice insulated boots had a rubber soles....and melted nicely one winter day.
    I ride off and on twelve months a year. I now have a heated seat, jacket liner and gloves that I use when it gets near and below freezing. my lowest experienced temp so far has been 27F. I want to go on a sub zero ride one day....anyone game?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I did 180 miles on a day that never got above 40 and it spit snow off and on. It sucked but it was for a patriot guard ride so it was worth it.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Normally in the upper 30s. I left for work one morning when the low was *supposed* to be 38F. I was numb and in pain after the 20 mile ride on 465. It turned out it was 27F.

We always got the best water (Smokies of East Tenn / West NC) during the winter. I've paddled a whitewater kayak down to 23F. Your head/face/hands are wet the whole time... the rest of your body is in layers and under a drysuit. You do have to end up rolling (you're underwater) during those temps. Chilly but fun.

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I ride almost 30 miles each way for work. One night I left work it was 28 degrees. I usually quit riding when it's 32. There's a big difference between 28 and 32. I bought a set of Gerbings heated pants but haven't got around to hooking them up yet. With those pants, about 3 layers of jackets, balaclavas, 3/4 helmet and neoprene gloves, I just start to get chilled at 25 miles in mid 30 degree weather. Find you a set of scuba diver neoprene gloves. They make all the difference in the world!
    thanks for the glove tip. Sounds like a good idea... I tried to rep you, but couldn't. I've tried so many winter riding gloves, but none, even the lined ones with gauntlet, could keep the numbing pain in check. Fingers are my main problem at low temps.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    thanks for the glove tip. Sounds like a good idea... I tried to rep you, but couldn't. I've tried so many winter riding gloves, but none, even the lined ones with gauntlet, could keep the numbing pain in check. Fingers are my main problem at low temps.

You need heated grips. Not that hard to install and makes all the difference in the world.

Top Bottom