INGO lower receiver. One step closer. Chime in!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pay for one of these Lowers?

• Total voters
    • Poll closed .
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    The transfer fee is being worked out as CM has stated. It will be up to the ffl, but bear in mind they're handling the logistics/storage/distribution/extra booth space eaten up at the 1500/insuring consecutive serial numbers/running 4473's when other item's could be sold at a profit/etc... It's more than 'just a 10 min phone call'.

This was a 2nd round feeler, which appears to have confirmed that we can gather enough buyers to make this happen. Final details re: the fee will be included in the official group buy thread I am sure.

Last edited:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Curious on the under 21 fellow in OH.
    If the FFL marks RIFLE on the 4473, is it then considered a rifle (never to be made into a pistol)? Or is that checked item to be made by the manufacturer only?

The 4473 for a lower receiver would be marked "Other" in Box 18, and "Receiver" on Line 29. A dealer cannot sell or transfer a lower receiver to anyone under 21.

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    Could the FFL install a stock and sell it as a rifle? He would still need a OH FFL, but that would solve part of his problem.
    Did they give a time frame for delivery?
    Who voted no?

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    The 4473 for a lower receiver would be marked "Other" in Box 18, and "Receiver" on Line 29. A dealer cannot sell or transfer a lower receiver to anyone under 21.

Good to know! Thanks!
    I wasn't trying to skirt... I just recall seeing issues with having receivers marked incorrectly before. Wasn't sure if that was a legitimate option.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Could the FFL install a stock and sell it as a rifle?

In short, no. A lower receiver is a lower receiver, regardless of whether it has a stock on it or not. Building it into a complete rifle and selling it that way would require the dealer to also be licensed as a manufacturer, as he would be changing the legal status of the gun from an "other" to a "rifle". At least, that is the way it was explained to us by the ATF.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    I'm with you on that, I was thinking $15 or $20 for the transfer, if it is one shop, then they should be making plenty of money for their 10 minute (per transfer) phone call.
    The only shops in Indy that do $15 transfers and are INGO advertisers are US Defense solutions, and I think Indy trading post does it if you say your an INGO site supporter maybe. Everyone else charges a lot more.
    But in all honesty there's a lot more to transfers that a phone call. Paperwork to sign the gun in the book and then also storage and signing the gun out of the book after the 4473 is done by the customer and ran. So just on one gun there is at least 30 minutes of time by a paid store employee in the transaction from start to finish. Then also the FFL is responsible for storing those records for TWENTY YEARS!!! Even a small shop has to dedicate a whole area for boxes of forms alone.
    I think sometimes people don't see the full picture when you think your helping your local FFL out by paying them $15 or $25 for a transfer of a gun you didn't even buy from them. They are most likely not making a dime on the deal or even just breaking even and only do it to get people in the store and buy other things or as a convenience. if I had a shop of charge $100 for transfers to detour them

Stang51d

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 25, 2012
    Centerpoint
    So who and/or where is the ffl? I think that would make a difference to some of us that may not live close to the ffl or be able to make it to the 1500.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Could the FFL install a stock and sell it as a rifle? He would still need a OH FFL, but that would solve part of his problem.
    Did they give a time frame for delivery?
    Who voted no?
    The reciever is only a rifle once it has a complet upper attached to it. Until then even with a stock on it it's sold as "other" and the type "receiver".

and like shooter said, a regular FFL cannot sell a complet rifle they built from a receiver unless they are a sot 7? Manufacturer as well

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom