• ...and so much more!
  • RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I know there is appleseed. But some kids just aren't willing to put up with an entire day (let alone weekend) of shooting. I'm thinking in the 5-12 yr old range or so.

Are there any other 'child' events that introduce the kids to some shooting, along with 'everything that is INGO'. More along the lines of 'dads keep their firearms holstered specifically so kids can learn and shoot' and appreciate other kids their age shooting and all that is INGO types of events that I am missing?

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    I don't know of anyone doing this specifically, but I (ACT) would be happy to oversee the event and present a safety briefing to the kids. ACT could also coach the kids throughout the event.

Due to the age range that you state, AT LEAST one parent or guardian per 2 kids would be a MUST.

I've worked with family groups (down to age 4), the Cub Scouts and the Boy Scouts. Working with the kids is extreme fun and very rewarding.

tredwing

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    Not sure if your into scouting, but the Boy scout camps have programs that teach kids gun safety. an they get to shoot .22 cal LR and some used to even use shotguns for the older boys. Also the 4-H have shooting programs last I knew.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Not sure if your into scouting, but the Boy scout camps have programs that teach kids gun safety. an they get to shoot .22 cal LR and some used to even use shotguns for the older boys. Also the 4-H have shooting programs last I knew.
    You must be 11 to join Boy Scouts and I don't think Cub Scouts offers any shooting programs.

Likewise, IIRC from when I was in 4H shooting sports age for .22 rifle is 10 or 11 and age for shotgun is 12.

I think the OP is looking for something a bit younger.

4H does offer BB gun but I think the OP is going for real firearms...

Still good suggestions!!

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    My son is a webelos, and transitioning to scouts this spring. Partly why it got me wondering. I found the couts have program for .22, shotgun and even muzzleloader.
    But I was asking due to kids who aren't in scouts, or girls who don't have that option.

My son enjoys shooting... but dare i say, who says what I am teaching him is right. or rather, I would be enjoyed to have him experience the world of INGO. a sort of 'INGO Kids day' where they get to meet and shoot with kids their own age. They might realize that their dad isn't the crazy knucklehead they figured him to be once they see other kids are shooting also. Try other guns, etc... like a non tax stamp nfa day for kids.

it goes without saying, that parents would need to attend. Though i'd think it best if parents left their firearms holstered for the day. Afterall, it is all about the kids learning, and not 'showing' them how to shoot.

Drakkule

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Butler,IN. 46721
    I would love this for my kids. My 12 year old already has his favorite gun, "my" GP 100, and likes shooting the .357 mag rounds, over the .38 spc., my 2 daughters would love to shoot, but they know not to touch a gun if they see one, and to get an adult if they do.

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    I'm taking my boy out next summer. We've been practicing with the little BB rifle I picked up at Wally's for 20 bucks. It's quite accurate too out to say 20 yds. I haven't said anything to him yet, but I am sure he'll love shooting my 10-22. :)

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    Wow! I don't know how I missed that thread! Will take a closer look tonight! thanks for the info!

Top Bottom