• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    This coming weekend is the Indiana QSO party. Contact as many Indiana counties that you can, obviously a NVIS antenna would be beneficial. See the HDXCC website for all the details.

Thanks for that reminder!
    I usually participate but don't send in logs. I was thinking about doing some POTA this weekend, I'll look into the rules and see about combining the two...
    [edit - looks like portable/rover not allowed in INQP this year. Guess I could still op from a park(s), just not note that I'm portable?]

I have a mostly new POTA setup I'm wanting to try out, also... picked up a 7300 and a knock-off Pelican-like case for it. Should be easy to set my portable setup for NVIS.

-rvb

-. ----. .-. ...- -...
    (learning CW ... actually have a couple contacts under my belt :) )

Last edited:

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Thanks for that reminder!
    I usually participate but don't send in logs. I was thinking about doing some POTA this weekend, I'll look into the rules and see about combining the two...
    [edit - looks like portable/rover not allowed in INQP this year. Guess I could still op from a park(s), just not note that I'm portable?]

I have a mostly new POTA setup I'm wanting to try out, also... picked up a 7300 and a knock-off Pelican-like case for it. Should be easy to set my portable setup for NVIS.

-rvb

-. ----. .-. ...- -...
    (learning CW ... actually have a couple contacts under my belt :) )

The Indiana QSO Party has worked hard to become the leading exclusive event of the year here....they exclude everyone but HF CW and HF SSB phone ops...and now due to COVID no mobiles, no Rovers, and no Portables...

So it's not really an event that encourages new hams or all hams to participate.

I'll be fishing.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    So....I wasn't going to say anything yet....
    But to hell with it.

I've started to out together a little website to be used as a resource for new hams. And perhaps as a place advertise the radio or physical meetups we want to organize.

Again please keep in mind this is very much a work in progress and i only stood it up yesterday while on a conference call for work.

Introducing...

http://www.inhamoperators.com

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    But to hell with it.

I've started to out together a little website to be used as a resource for new hams. And perhaps as a place advertise the radio or physical meetups we want to organize.

Again please keep in mind this is very much a work in progress and i only stood it up yesterday while on a conference call for work.

Introducing...

+1

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    But to hell with it.

Introducing...

It's 100 times better than we had before. Thanks for doing this.

PB

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I'll be adding to "Inho" as time allows. Next up I plan on adding a chirp file with all the Indiana repeaters. I'm considering putting some Amazon affiliate links on into to some diff radios and antennas. All the money would go into getting better hosting, and maybe the occasional raffle.

Also in fun news. My new yaesu ft-65r came in yesterday along with my abree antenna. Loving it so far.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'll be adding to "Inho" as time allows. Next up I plan on adding a chirp file with all the Indiana repeaters. I'm considering putting some Amazon affiliate links on into to some diff radios and antennas. All the money would go into getting better hosting, and maybe the occasional raffle.

Also in fun news. My new yaesu ft-65r came in yesterday along with my abree antenna. Loving it so far.

:rockwoot:

Is your Abbree antenna the crazy long 42" "tactical" one? I've seen those around.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Sure is. It's certainly ridiculous, but I figured what the hell. A buddy has the same one. I couldn't let him have a longer one than me. :D

I got the 48 cm one (18 inches?) ... I didn't want people to think I was compensating for someone else by getting the 42". :faint:

Do you get a lot more range by getting an antenna twice as long? :dunno:

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I can't back this up with facts but I feel it would stand to reason there would be an increase with a longer antenna. However I double a twice as long antenna would yeild twice the result.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I can't back this up with facts but I feel it would stand to reason there would be an increase with a longer antenna. However I double a twice as long antenna would yeild twice the result.

I'm just hoping to look cooler with a bigger antenna, if I can get a bit more range as well it's a bonus. :):

JollyGreen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Indiana
    But to hell with it.

Introducing...

Thank you for doing this!! recently became part of the FengGang!! using this quarantine time to study my ass off, and take my test as soon as the world starts opening back up!

fullmetaljesus

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Thank you for doing this!! recently became part of the FengGang!! using this quarantine time to study my ass off, and take my test as soon as the world starts opening back up!

Fantastic, welcome to the family.
    If there is anything we can do to help please ask.

JollyGreen

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Indiana
    Fantastic, welcome to the family.
    If there is anything we can do to help please ask.

Absolutely! according to the ARRL testing times, and locations are up! I'm going to call in the morning to see if they are opening back up, or still shut down due to the virus! Looks like the earliest test is on the 16th of this month!

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    If you can find a DMR code plugs for Indiana that would be a good add. There is nothing in ham radio that makes less sense than the commercial programming for DMR, lol.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'm listening to PMR446 (European equivalent to FRS in the US) channels.
    With just an 18 inch antenna I can hear folks in East Sussex talking, that's nearly 90 miles from my location, across the English Channel.
    The conversation is as clear as a phone call.

Not sure if they're using only low power walkie talkies or ham radio stuff. :dunno:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Ever figure this out?

I have a receive problem on VHF I need help with.

Radio FT-857D, with an RF concepts 170w amp if needed.
    Antenna Diamond X30 roof mounted 2 story house.
    LMR-400 and Jetstream JT20115f Coax.

So I live SW Fort Wayne and used to be able to hit the Plymouth repeater pretty easy with 5-10 watts.
    Tested the other day and I can not hear at full power. My buddy in Valpo says he can hear me fine.

I pulled the antenna off the roof and took it apart. Zero signs of water intrusion, all the solder joints look good. Cut off 5 feet of coax and put on another connector.
    Tested again. Same. Switched coax runs, same. Hooked my buddies FT-991 to it same.
    Tried my attic mounted discone antenna same. Stood on my second floor with a yagi pointed that direction with an HT attached, same.

My buddy is 50 miles to the repeater, I am about 40 he states its working great for him.

Any thoughts?

Top Bottom