• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    See this is why we need a real club. I'm certified to give tests for would be techs and generals. If we have a couple other VE's we could do a drive through session.
    I dont recall. Do you have to be a VE to grade, provide corroboration as another witness, etc? If not I can help with the testing of Techs.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    To become a VE is very simple. There's like a 40 page book and then a short open book test. Fill it out send it in, receive credentials in the mail.

I remember one question being kinda tricky or worded weird. If you get stuck I'd be happy to help you sort it out.

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Well, the new mobile arrived. Programming in local repeaters. I've made one contact so far on the .76 repeater on the east side of Indy, so it appears to be functional.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Well, the new mobile arrived. Programming in local repeaters. I've made one contact so far on the .76 repeater on the east side of Indy, so it appears to be functional.
    Wow! I’ve never made any contacts on that repeater except when I do the CERT net on Monday evenings. I’ve tried too!

Matt

I would also be in on a Indy/Ingo radio club. I’m a general working towards Extra but really falling short. Tech and General were relatively easy but Extra is exceeding my learning ability. Too much new stuff I can’t seem to lock in my brain and link up with prior knowledge.

Matt

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Wow! I’ve never made any contacts on that repeater except when I do the CERT net on Monday evenings. I’ve tried too!

Interesting. I didn't know there was a net on that repeater. It's not as busy as in years past, and I've noticed its usually more popular in the evening/night. I've had many good chats on .76. The .700 repeater gets significant more traffic, but is much further from my house. I'll probably try my luck with the .700 repeater now, but still probably need more antenna to get that far reliably.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Interesting. I didn't know there was a net on that repeater. It's not as busy as in years past, and I've noticed its usually more popular in the evening/night. I've had many good chats on .76. The .700 repeater gets significant more traffic, but is much further from my house. I'll probably try my luck with the .700 repeater now, but still probably need more antenna to get that far reliably.

Not sure where you are but 700 repeater antenna is way up there! I think it’s more than double the height of any other local repeater. I can easily reach it when I’m in Mooresville on my HT, probably 35-40 miles.

Matt

blackenedman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    Not sure where you are but 700 repeater antenna is way up there! I think it’s more than double the height of any other local repeater. I can easily reach it when I’m in Mooresville on my HT, probably 35-40 miles.
    Matt
    I'm on the east side, near I465/Washington St. I've made it in to the .700 machine on ht, but with less than stellar results. Hopefully the mobile will help in that regard, but at this point I'm still antenna poor. Getting in from Mooresville on ht, pretty impressive. Using an ht antenna, or something larger/outdoors?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

Matt

I would also be in on a Indy/Ingo radio club. I’m a general working towards Extra but really falling short. Tech and General were relatively easy but Extra is exceeding my learning ability. Too much new stuff I can’t seem to lock in my brain and link up with prior knowledge.

Matt

Man, that reminds me I need to get back on that net. Always seem to have something going on that night.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I got my new antenna today, but the amazon seller I bought the ground plane from apparently does after the fact inventory. He printed the label Thursday, but USPS still says he never gave it to them. Ive had a couple shippers that appear to list stuff, and then order from their supplier after you order. I had a surplus store north of here do that crap on Ebay I think. I ordered a backpack or something from them. Nearly a week went by so I asked why he hadnt shipped it. "my supplier hasnt sent it to me yet. I should have it from the warehouse within 2 more days, so as soon as it arrives, I'll mail it to you." Apparently they were listing stuff on Ebay that they CAN get, and then when they recieved an ebay order they'd have it shipped in and then send it to the buyer. In very unpleasant words I told him thats not how it works, and might have even said a few mean things about his dog.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy

Matt

I'm in the same boat as you.

dekindy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2020
    Noblesville
    I would be interested. Have not been active for a couple of years and limited for years b4 that. Used to have an IRLP Node but sold it.

Moved 2 years ago and left cables and antennas because additional blown in insulation made it too difficult to remove them from the attic.

New home is 1-story but not sure how to run cable from basement to attic over garage. Maybe now is good time for a project to accomplish that somehow. Maybe a drop cable in garage and rig a cable that I only run through the stairway when I want to talk?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

rebase

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 25, 2019
    Indianapolis
    See this is why we need a real club. I'm certified to give tests for would be techs and generals. If we have a couple other VE's we could do a drive through session.

As a prospective technician I would absolutely LOVE if you would be willing to audit a test virtually considering the current quarantine!

I'd be more than willing to handle the technology logistics btw.

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette

Matt

Matt

I tried studying for 10 years to pass extra. I always fell short on the math and circuit design portions. I never could put that together and stay in my head. I bought the ARRL books twice and wasted so much money on them. Since the pool is about to expire and I was peeved at wasting more $ on those books, I bought one more book Pass your amateur extra class test the easy way by Craig Buck. It worked and within 2 weeks I was getting 80% on exams! I skipped studying the parts I wasn't doing well at and focused on the stuff I knew. Once I was reliably hitting 75% on the tests I started studying the parts I wasn't confident in (elements 5, 6, and 7) to try and get a question or two buffer. The pool expires soon so I can't say it's a good buy unless you know you can get a virtual exam scheduled and have 14-20 hours to read it and read it again. I've been licensed for 23 years so I had a lot of the stuff down as general knowledge and it wasn't all new theory for me. I bought the kindle edition otherwise I'd give it to you. Good luck.

Alan
    WO9G

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    I tried studying for 10 years to pass extra. I always fell short on the math and circuit design portions. I never could put that together and stay in my head. I bought the ARRL books twice and wasted so much money on them. Since the pool is about to expire and I was peeved at wasting more $ on those books, I bought one more book Pass your amateur extra class test the easy way by Craig Buck. It worked and within 2 weeks I was getting 80% on exams! I skipped studying the parts I wasn't doing well at and focused on the stuff I knew. Once I was reliably hitting 75% on the tests I started studying the parts I wasn't confident in (elements 5, 6, and 7) to try and get a question or two buffer. The pool expires soon so I can't say it's a good buy unless you know you can get a virtual exam scheduled and have 14-20 hours to read it and read it again. I've been licensed for 23 years so I had a lot of the stuff down as general knowledge and it wasn't all new theory for me. I bought the kindle edition otherwise I'd give it to you. Good luck.

Alan
    WO9G

I’ve got the same book. I get to those sections that I can’t quite fathom and it puts me to sleep and I forget everything I read. There are a few concepts that I haven’t been able to wrap my head around. Without understanding them, I can’t seem to get the answers given to stick.

Matt

jsx1043

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 9, 2008
    Napghanistan
    Just saw this on my FB:

“Hey Folks! This Saturday April 18 at noon we will hold a special net on the 147.120MHz repeater.

This net is part of a state wide initiative to gather information as well as check on the well-being of participating hams.

Some folks from outside Marion County follow us, you are welcome to check in to our net if your local county ARES does not have a similar net.”

FB page was the Indiana Elmer Network (?) and passed on by one of my CERT comms operators.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I have a receive problem on VHF I need help with.

Radio FT-857D, with an RF concepts 170w amp if needed.
    Antenna Diamond X30 roof mounted 2 story house.
    LMR-400 and Jetstream JT20115f Coax.

So I live SW Fort Wayne and used to be able to hit the Plymouth repeater pretty easy with 5-10 watts.
    Tested the other day and I can not hear at full power. My buddy in Valpo says he can hear me fine.

I pulled the antenna off the roof and took it apart. Zero signs of water intrusion, all the solder joints look good. Cut off 5 feet of coax and put on another connector.
    Tested again. Same. Switched coax runs, same. Hooked my buddies FT-991 to it same.
    Tried my attic mounted discone antenna same. Stood on my second floor with a yagi pointed that direction with an HT attached, same.

My buddy is 50 miles to the repeater, I am about 40 he states its working great for him.

Any thoughts?

Does that repeater use a tone to access it? Any chance you've accidentally turned off the tone on your radio?

I do that a lot.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    And I respectfully disagree with the outdated non nonsense guide. Its important to be studying for the current test. They recently changed the test pool questions so you will want to study for the correct test. Could you probably pass by using the old study guides? probably. But you are more likely to succeed by reading the right study guide.

Dan KB6NU publishes the No Nonsense Technician Exam guide. The Tech question pool changed on July 1st of 2018....his latest FREE PDF book covers the material that will be on the test until June 2022...you can download the latest copy here. All test pools change every four years.

The General Exam changed last July 1st, 2019 and it changes every four years.
    The Extra Exam will change on July 1st 2020 and it also changes every four years.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Just a baofang to learn some basics and listen on. Getting a yeasu ftm 7250dr once I get my license. My biggest challenge will be that I'm in an apartment so the antenna cant be permanent.
    At work I'm less than half a mile from a repeater that is at 267 and 40 in Plainfield, atleast according to the interwebz. Hoping I can atleast pick that up sometimes at night.

FTM-7250DR is a good radio...assuming you are putting in your vehicle? Don't forget to borrow or buy a SWR meter when you set it up, you will likely have to make some antenna adjustments. Also when that rig is in the 50 watts setting the current draw is at least 10 Amps...so you will need to wire it directly to your battery unless your vehicle has some high current power points. Make sure if you go to the battery you put a fuse in both sides. I see these on sale from time to time for less than $200...sweet deal for Fusion/2m/440Mhz

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Radio should up early. Got it to pick up NOAA and tuned into the repeater in Greenwood but no luck there. I'll take it with me tomorrow and drive that way. Mostly just been playing with the menu and getting familiar with it

When you said Greenwood repeater...did you mean the 146.835? It's pretty dead 95% of the time....they do have a net you can listen to on Sunday nights at 7PM...they play the Newsline Report and take general check ins. This is also the Skywarn repeater for Johnson County...so in the event of bad weather they sometimes have a weather net up.

They used to have a brand new Fusion repeater a few years ago but it's gone now I guess. This system belongs to the Midstate Amateur Radio Club out of Franklin.

Top Bottom