• ...and so much more!
  • Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Fellow Indiana Gun Owners,

This thread is a FEELER. I ask that you read and consider my idea, and then offer any input that you might have.

We all want to exercise our right to carry firearms, but we all also know that there are MANY people who have a negative view of citizens that carry firearms. I have been thinking about what can be done to change this perception and I have an idea I want to share.

How many people would be willing to participate in an INGO goodwill event? My proposal is that we gather a group of INGO members and friends and we perform some type of charitable or public service type of activity while OPENLY CARRYING a handgun. I have not chosen a charity, but a couple of ideas are something like Habitat for Humanity, Adopting a portion of highway, or a "walk" where money is donated to Riley Children's Hospital. Just to be clear, not all options would require your money, some would only require a little time.

A secondary event is also possible where we have a shooting event (like friday night steel, or some other "for fun" competition event) where proceeds are donated to a given charity.

How many would be willing to participate? Do you think this idea would help change perception? What are your :twocents: ?

This is just a feeler, but I'm trying to affect POSITIVE change in the gun world and I need your help in brainstorming on how.

Thank you for taking the time reading this post. :)

UPDATE:
    For now, I have an idea that could help the cause... please see this post within this thread:
    https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/1425078-post107.html

If you have any ideas please post them! (if you think it's a stupid idea, you can post that too! My feelings won't be hurt, I'm still just throwing ideas around)

Thanks!!

Interested members so far:

Cru
    SirRealism
    OneBadV8
    alexanjl12
    gunrott
    Loopie159753
    RachelMarie
    ProLibertate
    Keith_Indy
    sj kahr k40
    dom1104
    Eddie
    Henktermaat
    Hoosierdood
    Wag1911
    ATF Consumer
    Kinnards 80
    J10
    Hotfarmboy1
    SSGSAD
    HotPocket
    JSX1043
    Pudly
    tbhausen
    CoyoteCreekGuns
    Stephen87
    Big Hank
    Rmabrey
    JohnP82
    dieselman
    groovatron
    YogiRC51
    BloodEclipse
    POC
    88E30M50
    CSK22
    Eldirector
    SilentWarrior1
    Jeremiah
    IN

Last edited:

alexanjl12

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Westside Indy
    I would be very interested in participating. If my LTCH would ever show up in the mail that is....:dunno:

Another idea I am going to throw out. Soup kitches around thanksgiving normally draw quite a big group of people to help particiapte. So there would be a lot of people seeing the OCers help contribute.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    That was another reason I suggested the soup kitchens on Thanksgiving. A lot of them get media attention from local news stations

I love the idea of the soup kitchens, and I think some of us should do it regardless, but the timing of that is coming up REALLY soon. I would like a goodwill event to have a lot of planning time and for it to be very organized. I want to ensure it not a spur of the moment thing.

Loopie159753

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2010
    South Bend, Indiana
    I think that in order for this to work it's going to have to be a charitable or public service type of activity while OPENLY CARRYING a handgun. Something that maybe a local news station can be called to help get our point across. I would love to help but it all depends on where this will be held. Keep us updated.

alexanjl12

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 17, 2010
    Westside Indy
    I love the idea of the soup kitchens, and I think some of us should do it regardless, but the timing of that is coming up REALLY soon. I would like a goodwill event to have a lot of planning time and for it to be very organized. I want to ensure it not a spur of the moment thing.

Yeah I only thought of it because I go to one almost every year in indy, and we always get covered by channel 6 or 8, cant remember which. :dunno:

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    I knew I could count on you guys! *misty eyes* ;)

Oh forgot to mention, I expect the media would be informed of said event.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record... at the risk of sounding like a broken record... don't be too upset if they don't come. And don't be upset if they do come and give an unfair, biased report. (Have you ever seen Jim Shella seek out poorly spoken libertarians in order marginalize the group?)

IMESHO, a series of YouTube videos shared on FB would have a more positive impact.

ProLibertate

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Fellow Indiana Gun Owners,

This thread is a FEELER. I ask that you read and consider my idea, and then offer any input that you might have.

We all want to exercise our right to carry firearms, but we all also know that there are MANY people who have a negative view of citizens that carry firearms. I have been thinking about what can be done to change this perception and I have an idea I want to share.

How many people would be willing to participate in an INGO goodwill event? My proposal is that we gather a group of INGO members and friends and we perform some type of charitable or public service type of activity while OPENLY CARRYING a handgun. I have not chosen a charity, but a couple of ideas are something like Habitat for Humanity, Adopting a portion of highway, or a "walk" where money is donated to Riley Children's Hospital. Just to be clear, not all options would require your money, some would only require a little time.

This. :yesway:
    An event like this will have a MUCH greater positive impact on public perspective than walking around a crowded market or sporting event with long guns.
    I have never attended an OC event. Although I support the right, I am not an OC activist. I prefer CC for a number of reasons.
    But for a POSITIVE event like this, you can count me in. :thumbsup:

sj kahr k40

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    That was another reason I suggested the soup kitchens on Thanksgiving. A lot of them get media attention from local news stations

I would love to help at a soup kitchen this thanksgiving, even if their are only a few of us OCing it would still help the cause.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Count me OUT. I have a morbid fear of handcuffs.

Oh wait, you said HANDGUNS.

Not sub caliber german-esque rifles?

Count me back in :)

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    This. :yesway:
    An event like this will have a MUCH greater positive impact on public perspective than walking around a crowded market or sporting event with long guns.
    I have never attended an OC event. Although I support the right, I am not an OC activist. I prefer CC for a number of reasons.
    But for a POSITIVE event like this, you can count me in. :thumbsup:

Glad we have your support!!!

I just want to be clear, this is NOT something I started because I am against the other OC event, heck I was part of it. I am just trying to think of other different ways we can do things too. :)

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I am interested. Maybe some of us on the "western frontier" can form a carpool.

I also like the idea of a youtube video showing gun owners doing positive things. Little groups of us from all over the state could shoot home made video clips and submit them for someone to edit.

Top Bottom