• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Well, I joined a gym last month and have gone intermittently, but this month I'm planning on really stepping it up. I do really well on days when I don't have a lot of obligations, but stress eating is my worst enemy. Anybody have anything they do to combat that?

1) Plan out all your meals, so that you eat intentionally. When I cook, I will make enough for the whole week, then box it up so I can re-heat it easy. If you know you are going to be busy, then make sure that if you do stop to eat, that you PLAN to eat a salad.

2) Get rid of all snack foods - including soda. Soooooooo many of our calories are liquid. We are a society that loves our syrup.

3) Use an app to track your eating. I use the "Lose it!" app.

4) Stay focused on your goals and remember that a hungry stomach is a happy stomach!

If you can, just stick to meats and vegetables as much as possible. So much of our diet has been designed to be carb based. If you can stay away from the bread and pasta and rice and chips and sweets, that will get you half way by itself.

I try to replace traditional carbs with quinoa, beans, or lentils. Hummus and bell peppers is a good snack as far as that goes.

It's also fairly inexpensive. You can make a whole pot of quinoa for about $.50. Add some stir-fry to that and you've got lunch for at least a week.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    1) Plan out all your meals, so that you eat intentionally. When I cook, I will make enough for the whole week, then box it up so I can re-heat it easy. If you know you are going to be busy, then make sure that if you do stop to eat, that you PLAN to eat a salad.

2) Get rid of all snack foods - including soda. Soooooooo many of our calories are liquid. We are a society that loves our syrup.

4) Stay focused on your goals and remember that a hungry stomach is a happy stomach!

If you can, just stick to meats and vegetables as much as possible. So much of our diet has been designed to be carb based. If you can stay away from the bread and pasta and rice and chips and sweets, that will get you half way by itself.

I try to replace traditional carbs with quinoa, beans, or lentils. Hummus and bell peppers is a good snack as far as that goes.

It's also fairly inexpensive. You can make a whole pot of quinoa for about $.50. Add some stir-fry to that and you've got lunch for at least a week.

All good things to do. Another thing we should all do is to try to eliminate any consumption of HFCS. If you refuse to eat foods that contain that, you will be on your way to better health and weight control.

Also, like ATO said, no soda! This includes diet soda.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

:yesway:

[video=youtube;3FGee4kQHEY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FGee4kQHEY[/video]

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    :yesway:

[video=youtube;3FGee4kQHEY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FGee4kQHEY[/video]

"I don't want to get too bulky"

ugh... I don't know how many times I've heard this. It is 100% impossible to get "too bulky" lifting.

1) You have to do 5 - 10 sets of 10 reps to achieve the mitochondrial response you want to get big muscles. No one has time for that.

2) You have to eat like 5,000 - 10,000 calories a day and a metric **** load of protein to get and stay big. No one has the time or money for that.

3) I don't know anyone on planet earth who accidentally got too bulky from working out.

Even the gym rat chicks who are there all day every day and could probably kick my ass don't look bulky. They look like they have a little muscle in their arms, and they have a round butt.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    "I don't want to get too bulky"

ugh... I don't know how many times I've heard this. It is 100% impossible to get "too bulky" lifting.

1) You have to do 5 - 10 sets of 10 reps to achieve the mitochondrial response you want to get big muscles. No one has time for that.

2) You have to eat like 5,000 - 10,000 calories a day and a metric **** load of protein to get and stay big. No one has the time or money for that.

3) I don't know anyone on planet earth who accidentally got too bulky from working out.

Even the gym rat chicks who are there all day every day and could probably kick my ass don't look bulky. They look like they have a little muscle in their arms, and they have a round butt.

Yep.I guess some women are afraid that if they do 10 pushups a day they will look like a muscular man at the end of the year.

If that was that easy you would see huge muscular dudes everywhere ... :dunno:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I started a focused bicycling routine on May 26th with the intent of losing weight. For my frame I was really getting fat at 193, and I actually hit 198 lbs over the past winter (2018-2019). I remember casually stepping on a scale at a friend's house one day with all my clothes, minus shoes, and wearing a handgun. Scale said 206. I couldn't believe it. The time for a big change had come.

I started riding the bicycle on May 26th, one day after a visit to the doctor. Since then I have logged 1685 miles. I had two weeks in July over 200 miles, and one week in June at 199, the rest have been between 150 and 200. This is my July workout calendar from "Map My Ride":
    July%202019_zpsdrttpoxy.jpg

During my May 25th doctor visit I was 193 lbs. Yesterday morning I weighed in at 162, 31 lbs lost since May 25th. A little aggressive but my doctor saw no problem with it in an interim visit I had with him mid-July, at which point I had lost 18 lbs. I am only eating one meal per day, but I make that a good one. I have a whey protein shake in the morning, and between morning and lunch time I'll eat one or two protein or granola bars, and a banana for lunch. Other than that, I drink plenty of water, still have a cup of coffee in the morning, an occasional Gatorade after a ride on a hot day, a couple of beers on the weekend. No other snacks of any kind, no sweets, no nothing. I've been tracking my calorie intake and have been keeping it between 1500 and 2300 calories per day, will allow myself to hit the high end of that range on the days I put in more than 30 miles on the bicycle. I am 62, and feel better than I have in years, and have not seen the needle on the scale below 165 since I was in my early twenties, maybe 22. My knees don't hurt anymore. My cardio-vascular health is improving and my legs are getting strong. My fastest ride so far was on July 27th, 37 miles at 18.1 avg. I plan to get a smart trainer so I can maintain my routine over the winter.

My goal is to be somewhere between 145 and 155. My doctor said if I achieve that (and I will), that I will likely no longer have to take high blood pressure medication, and that is a huge motivation. My motivation has rubbed off on the wife, she is starting to go out and ride with me a couple times a week, and she is starting to shed a few lbs as well.

Last edited:

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    My goal is to be somewhere between 145 and 155. My doctor said if I achieve that (and I will), that I will likely no longer have to take high blood pressure medication, and that is a huge motivation. My motivation has rubbed off on the wife, she is starting to go out and ride with me a couple times a week, and she is starting to shed a few lbs as well.

That is awesome! Keep up the good work!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Still biking. Did a 45-min ride after work around 1am. My calf muscles cramp up badly near end of ride. I probably need to ease into it a bit more.

Weight isn’t changing but I look slimmer. I think muscle being added to my legs is balancing it out . That and i’m Not great on diet

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Switched to intermittent fasting and that’s working well. Dropped 13# in 21 days.

I am still doing spin classes.

Just bought the X3 bar, variable resistance training system. High hopes for that

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Switched to intermittent fasting and that’s working well. Dropped 13# in 21 days.

I am still doing spin classes.

Just bought the X3 bar, variable resistance training system. High hopes for that

It looks interesting to do squats with elastics.

You would still need a pull up bar to do pull up and chin ups.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    The concept is when using a barbell you only load it with as much as you can move through the weakest part of your range of motion.

The elastic band starts low tension and increases as you get more into your powerful part of the movement. Can go to fatigue much more efficiently

today was a 30-min PR ride, last time was a 45-min PR, and time before that was 60-min PR :rockwoot:

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The concept is when using a barbell you only load it with as much as you can move through the weakest part of your range of motion.

The elastic band starts low tension and increases as you get more into your powerful part of the movement. Can go to fatigue much more efficiently

today was a 30-min PR ride, last time was a 45-min PR, and time before that was 60-min PR :rockwoot:

This is the idea behind hanging chains from a barbell when doing bench. And some other exercises.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Ah, so it hangs loose and engages as you lift bar up?

that sounds complicated to sort out heights and such

Yup. They tend to use fairly heavy chain. Really not hard to sort out. You need enough chain so that you don't lift it all off the ground. So if you are benching for example, have maybe 6' or so. Let it sit on the floor and attach one end to the barbell. Then lift.

I would consider this more of an advanced technique but it will really help your strength since it gets increasingly heavier as you push through the "easier" parts of the lift.

Top Bottom