• Herstal

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Here's a question that may not have been asked:

How do you prepare to keep information available? For example, survival books are all well and good, but not very portable and not searchable. What about the subset of Wikipedia that would be valuable -- maps, yellow pages, medical references, and the like?

I've been thinking that a 12v solar charger and an iPod Touch (or iPhone) loaded with all the data could work. Perhaps an Android with the ability to use micro SD cards would be better, you could just keep that information on a card that's available when you need it.

Anything thought along these lines? How important is keeping pictures of your family and some music to stay sane?

It seems like there could be (should be already?) a project to maintain a comprehensive Wiki type information store for use when the internet isn't available.

ClydeB

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 17, 2012
    Southern Hoosier

How do you prepare to keep information available? For example, survival books are all well and good, but not very portable and not searchable. What about the subset of Wikipedia that would be valuable -- maps, yellow pages, medical references, and the like?

I've been thinking that a 12v solar charger and an iPod Touch (or iPhone) loaded with all the data could work. Perhaps an Android with the ability to use micro SD cards would be better, you could just keep that information on a card that's available when you need it.

Personally I have a Kobo touch ebook reader. And a small solar powered radio that will also charge usb devices. Also a laptop and small inverters I can run from a car cigarette lighter or marine battery, or larger solar panel. All tested out and working.

It seems like there could be (should be already?) a project to maintain a comprehensive Wiki type information store for use when the internet isn't available.

People have. Just go googling for "preparedness library". But, you always have to make sure what you find is going to meet your needs. And is accurate information as well.

HavokCycle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 10, 2012
    Zionsville
    i have been collecting a compendium on the things that i'd like to know, or need to know, but would probably forget.

example, how to build an AK from a shovel.

print it out and it goes into my binder.
    a while ago i bought some survival guides from amazon, and it gave me the option for e-books. i thought, who the F#@* would buy survival books in electronic format

Kmcinnes

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2011
    Hendricks County
    We keep all of our info in paper form one way or another. Sure electronic is handy but books have lasted for centuries, and your e-reader may not work in the event of an emp. We have quite a little library going and yes it would be hard to move them all but we would figure that out if needed so it is better to actually make use of all that knowledge now and use the supercomputer that god gave us!

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    There already is, just not on public or free sites. It is a lot of work and requires everyone contributes. Then you keep the data in multiple places. One place is on a shelf next to all your books.

You can do it alone or as part of a group but don't expect it to come for free from the public side of the web. That conversation and half-assed attempts have been going on since day one of the web and yet no one has achieved it on sites like this.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    I have a paper library...not going to count on having a way to get it off the net...I have 2 binder with page protectors that are identical and books that i will keep.

GlockPaperScissors

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    South Bend, IN
    i have been collecting a compendium on the things that i'd like to know, or need to know, but would probably forget.

example, how to build an AK from a shovel.

print it out and it goes into my binder.
    a while ago i bought some survival guides from amazon, and it gave me the option for e-books. i thought, who the F#@* would buy survival books in electronic format

We keep all of our info in paper form one way or another. Sure electronic is handy but books have lasted for centuries, and your e-reader may not work in the event of an emp. We have quite a little library going and yes it would be hard to move them all but we would figure that out if needed so it is better to actually make use of all that knowledge now and use the supercomputer that god gave us!

I have a paper library...not going to count on having a way to get it off the net...I have 2 binder with page protectors that are identical and books that i will keep.

^^^^^All of the above.

I would never rely on electronic devices or having power to use them. I would rather lug around a giant 15 lbs binder of information than worry about my ebook reader experiencing a hardware failure and losing all of my books.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Why not have both?

That is what I am working toward. If an EMP or other electrical disaster hits I have the hard copies. Otherwise I can scan much easier with an electronic version and thus get the info I forgot or just need quicker.

GlockPaperScissors

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    South Bend, IN
    Why not have both?

That is what I am working toward. If an EMP or other electrical disaster hits I have the hard copies. Otherwise I can scan much easier with an electronic version and thus get the info I forgot or just need quicker.

I suppose if you had the means, both would be ideal. I love technology and the conveniences it provides, but I wouldn't trust my laptop even half as far as I could throw it.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Rely on it...no... use it if possible... I am all in.

I drop all I can on flash drives. It is a cheap and very easy back up plan for me. Plus it is a lot easier to carry if I have to bug out.

GlockPaperScissors

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2012
    South Bend, IN
    Rely on it...no... use it if possible... I am all in.

I drop all I can on flash drives. It is a cheap and very easy back up plan for me. Plus it is a lot easier to carry if I have to bug out.

That's true. I love the little 4GB ones. That would be more than enough to hold hundreds of .pdf and .txt files.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    First, I try to learn useful informaiton and pack it away in the ol' grey matter.

Second, print, copy and store in multiple places including fire safes. Small hanging folder type tucked away somewhere safe.

Third, copy of most useful info on a thumb drive which is part of my EDC pocket load. Has pics of family, scans of important docs, some music, etc. as well.

Fourth, digitial copy on my back up USB drive that is stored in a box that is as "proof" as I can make it.. Also have a USB drive that goes with me in my computer bag.

Fifth, copy on my laptop hard drive, it goes with me most days, fully charged and I have a few options of charging it.

Sixth, copy of most everything on the EDC Drive is on my SD card in my Android phone. I also have a spare SD card with everything on it stored in my EDC bag and one in my Laptop bag. Laptop bag also has a SD - USB reader.

Seventh, copy in paper and digital format at many other locations where I might find myself having to hold up.

Over prepared? I dunno, just habit anymore.. Information / knowledge is power..

I am looking into an E-reader, haven't pulled the chain yet, still reviewing the options.

TJ

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I have an Asus transformer tablet/netbook conglomeration thing...

Highlights:
    With the keyboard docking station:
    battery life is 16 hrs
    micro-sd slot on tablet
    sd slot on dock
    2 usb slots on dock
    keyboard for faster typing on dock
    access to tons of apps like ballistics calculators

I can store hundreds of gbs of media and have it all at my fingertips with a simple usb memory stick or even small, sd-card or micro-sd-cards...

tc556guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Upstate NY

Anything thought along these lines? How important is keeping pictures of your family and some music to stay sane?

I have a cross section of books I am building up.
    Hard copies of important documents stored in one place and not strewn around, with scanned copies on a thumbdrive.
    Electronic database is running 100 gigs and growing.
    Not sure how I'll access it if I don't have my laptop. Not planning on lugging a kindle around.
    As others have said its important to learn stuff but have the information available rather than lost in the mayhem.....

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a cross section of books I am building up.
    Hard copies of important documents stored in one place and not strewn around, with scanned copies on a thumbdrive.
    Electronic database is running 100 gigs and growing.
    Not sure how I'll access it if I don't have my laptop. Not planning on lugging a kindle around.
    As others have said its important to learn stuff but have the information available rather than lost in the mayhem.....

I am planning on dragging the Nexus 7 around along with the phone and some micro SD cards w/adapters.
    Owner's manuals. Maps. GPS. Etc, etc, etc. Too valuable to leave behind.

MT60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2014
    Stroh
    I have a combination of paper and electronic. It kind of goes like this in my head: For the 'continuing education' reading I do a lot of it's hard to beat the ol' Kindle. I have 'Touch' rather than a 'Fire' because it operates MUCH longer on a single charge and is easily readable outdoors. Very convenient, easy to take almost anywhere, and there is an abundance of inexpensive or free material. Anything that I want as a reference for the long term I print or buy in paper.

Icarry2 - Wow! That is an information prepping discipline! I'm impressed, I'll take some of those ideas for my own use, and I may not be worthy of posting in the same forum as you! Thanks for info!

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Somewhere
    I am not too worried about this. I keep a regional Atlas with laminated pages. It's one book, very simple and very durable.

It also hold the locations to all known libraries. Which, in the event of SHTF, will likely be the LAST place looters or anyone will want to look for food or money. I forsee little issues strolling into one and "checking out" that last copy of 50 shades of grey.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...locations to all known libraries. Which, in the event of SHTF, will likely be the LAST place looters or anyone will want to look for food or money. I forsee little issues strolling into one and "checking out" that last copy of 50 shades of grey.

Not in Bloomington. The vultures are already in place, sucking up all the niceness of public spaces. At different times of the day you have to run a gauntlet of homeless alcoholics and druggies just to enter. They seem to be harmless, but in SHTF that could change quite quickly.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    At one time I kept every thing on cd and the computer. That didn't work out so good. We lost wedding pictures when a computer died then couldn't get them off the Cd because the Cd was bad. Now we keep paper copies of every thing in the gun safe. I don't keep anything on the computer or such stuff. I have everything that we need on paper. As someone posted above I need to back up the paper on paper.

Top Bottom