• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I need something small I can pocket carry in jeans with convenience and I have been thinking about this kel tec. I understand there's a large selection of .380s and even 9mms to choose from. However, I have a large cache of .32s (giving me opportunities to practice), this caliber offers a larger capacity, less recoil from such a small frame which helps with accuracy, not because I'm recoil sensitive, and I personally prefer the .32. My question is how reliable is this pistol under stressful conditions such as large amounts of sweat and the possibility of being exposed to dirt, dust, mud, etc. My only reservations about it is whether or not it'll jam on me in the unfortunate time I need it being it is a semi auto due to the conditions mentioned above. I understand I could avoid this problem with a revovler, however I would like to learn more about this pistol as a possibility for pocket carry and about its reliability. I also wonder if it'd be easier to pocket carry than a revovler.

wlkjr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2013
    Much easier to carry than a revolver. Some folks swear by them. I wouldn't volunteer to test one's lethality but neither would i trust my life to it. Maybe a backup. Better than a peashooter.

Spike_351

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Scott County
    I have owned a kel Tec, and I am seriously biases against them, choose a good ole .32 revolver or maybe an old colt .32 semi-auto. Or another good option is the Taurus .327 5 shot revolver, its cheap reliable and can also use .32 longs if needed.

J Starkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Kokomo
    I have a keltec .380 that I've owned for years and I've never had a single failure of any kind. I use it as my edc most of the time in warm weather. I did however polish the feed ramp on it bc hollow points would sometimes get hung up a little when manually cycling them.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I have carried a P32 ever since they came out. I carry mine on a lanyard around my neck and under my shirt. It works because it is so light and thin. The little gun is totally reliable and corrosion free.

I carry a 38 J frame in a pocket holster. I check it daily for lint. The P32 should be at least as good as a J frame in the pocket. I think.

Last edited:

J Starkey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Kokomo
    Mine doesn't have rust issues but I must say the finish leaves a lot to be desired but for under $300 nib I didn't really expect it to be that great. The wear doesn't really bother me as long as it goes bang every time it's suppose to I'm happy.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    I have the P32. It is known for rimlock. Keltec manufacures a piece to install in the mags to correct this issue. They have standard, plus one and 10 round mags for the gun. I carry it with the plus one mag and a grip sleeve.

I'm looking at replacing it with either a Kahr P380 (way better trigger) or the new Beretta Pico 380/32 when I can get one in my hands.

I like the fact the Pico can shoot 32's with a simple barrel swap.

These pistols are definately easier to carry then a revolver.

One thing nice about the P32, its cheap and you dont mind it getting beatup!

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have had two .32acps, one P32, and after shooting various things with it I moved up to a .380 for my BUG. In the summer I had to oil the P32 almost daily to keep the rust at bay. In 400-500 rounds I had several failures to fire or load or extract for various reasons. I replaced it with the P3AT, and that eventually with the Ruger LCP .380 which I have now had for several years.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    I have 4 Kel-Tecs, a p-32, Pf-9, P-11 and a sub-2000 in 9mm. All have been shot a lot and none of them have ever failed to shoot when trigger was pulled. The p-32 is a great little gun in my opinion. As stated already, it mades a great little back up and great to carry by its self when you can't carry another gun.

I know everyone likes to put down the 32acp but hey, John Moses Browning designed it and we all know how great he was so it can't be that bad of a round, and besides, it been killing people longer than the 1911 has.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    I understand many people feel the .32 is inadequate. However, I've never met someone willing to be a test subject. At the end of the day you're still shot haha I just need a pocket gun that will fit comfortably in jeans pockets.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I've carried a P32 for a 13 years. I decided against trading up to the .380 because I like the extra rouind with the 32. It's never given me any problems after 200 rounds went through it in the first few weeks.

TEK

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    st joe county
    you know what happens to a lot of people when you have a lighter more concealable firearm? they carry more often. the best gun is the one you have when you need it.

I like these models btw, but mine hangs up when I drop the mag. not a problem on the slide-in, but on the release it needs 2 hand removal.

Jack Burton

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    NWI
    I've sanded/polished my mag sides and use a film of silicon on them. They slip right out when I hit the button.

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    I bought one of the first P32's I saw, way back in 2001. I still have it, i think it's a great pistol! I run hot Fiocchi FMJ's through mine ( no rimlock with full metal jacket rounds, short hollowpoints will hang it up though).

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    It's is basically spray paint on steriods. Kinda like what Rhino liners do for truck beds. There is all kind of colors too. There is duracoat and cerakote.

Don't feel bad about being green on this stuff. I never knew what it was until I joined INGO.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Thanks, this helps because I've heard the kel tec has rust issues but I like this pistol best of the selections for modern .32 pocket pistols. Since it'd be a ruff and tuff gun and see a lot more wear then shooting, I wouldn't mind using it.

Top Bottom