• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bmyers

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Don't go to GM as others have suggested. And for 9mm vs 40, it depends what you're doing IMO. Get .40 for defense, 9mm for a range gun. There is a difference outside of a select few rounds.

Lakeman62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2012
    Syracuse area
    Try and find a gun range where you can rent both models and see which fits you and your style best. typically one will rise to the top and become the favorite. I live in the Elkhart area and can rent both for $10.00 per hour.

aaron580

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Morgan County
    I am going all 9mm and 45 these days. Both are very common and 45 has the knockdown power and the 19 also can be effective. Buy a glock 19. Best size, 9mm is cheap, very reliable. I just picked up an rtf2 tonight and LOVE it.

jtmason15

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 23, 2012
    Grant County
    I would definitely go with the 9mm. It can do anything you want it to do being stopping threats or target practice. I would use Hornady Critical Defense for your carry rounds and plink with whatever. I own a couple G19's and I love them to death. They are like my children. Depending on what round you get, the 9mm can outperform the .40 SW all day. The .40 is a horrible round in my book.

jchuff87

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Glock 9mm and 40 will feel the same until you pull the trigger, 40s have more recoil + ammo is more expensive. I would go with a Gen 3, I have personally seem problems with the Gen 4 40s.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    First, steer way, way clear of Gander Mountain. The sales people don't know squat and you will way, way overpay at Gander's prices. Go to a local gun dealer and talk to them. Try Bradis, Bare Arms, Plainfield Shooting Supplies, etc. They know what they are doing and have great selections in their display cases. You will save a ton of money at any of these shops versus Gander. Also, as to caliber, .40 is much more expensive to shoot on a regular basis versus 9mm. Can't go wrong with a Glock, Smith & Wesson or Springfield. Look at all and hold them all before you buy. Get a piece that fits your hand and feels comfortable as they better they feel in your hand the better you will shoot. Best of luck!

Rand60

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2012
    I have a gen 4 glock 26. No problems so far. I think this gun is the right balance between form and function. The 27 .40 caliber has much greater recoil and is not nearly as comfortable to shoot.

Armed-in-Carmel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012
    OK cool and thank you. As I said I am new to this and have no clue where to go, who to ask, but I want to make sure I get information before jumping into this feet first. I don't know of any reputable dealers locally, but will ask some people who I know have guns to see whom they would suggest.

You can rent guns and shoot them at Indy Trading Post. Good guys there will help you choose something that fits.

9mm will cost you between 20-25 cents per round for range ammo. 40cal more like 30-35 cents per round. Go with a 9mm and save some money.

The 9mm's I have tried recently and liked are:

• Springfield Armory XD subcompact
    • Springfield Armory XDm 3.8" compact
    • Beretta PX4 Storm subcompact
    • CZ75 P-01 Compact (which is the 9mm I ended up buying)

mfirem19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2012
    Grant County
    Really need to know if you plan on carrying all the time. You will learn in the carry world that size matters. If you happen to buy a bulky gun that is a burden to carry it will likely sit at home.
    I might suggest that you take a look at the P938 made by sig Sauer. This gun is a small 1911 style frame that comes standard with night sights. It comes in 9mm which is more readily available and cheaper to shoot than the .40 cal.

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Shop where you feel that you get the best service. I've got plenty of good service at my local "big guys" gun store and have walked out of my favorite LGS when having to deal with one particular employee. I also advocate dealing with the little guys, but everyone can be an ******* at any given period of a day... Welcome to gun forums. Everyone will give you their opinion on what they feel is the best. Nowhere on any of your posts did you say what type of price range you have.

If you are spending $600 or less..go 9mm and go for the M&P, Walther PPQ (which I'd love to own!) or a Glock 19.

If you are spending $1000 or less, I'd still stay 9mm and go with a higher quality gun like a Sig Sauer P229 (you can get more of their custom type for this price range) or HK P30.

If you are spending more than $1000, go for a nice 1911 style gun in .45 ACP.

Again, welcome to INGO...you asked for our opinion...:ingo:

Top Bottom