• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr Falken

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    I would have to agree that the Marlin is worth the money. And has a lot more accessories available (sights etc.) and is tapped for a scope. My wife's (.44 mag)ran about $500 at Dick's in Greenwood last year. I've not pushed it, but I'm getting the idea that your looking at 100yd shots with that too, maybe 150? So if you just use regular slugs in a rifled barrel, aren't you looking at the same ranges? Cost might be a wash if you look at each as a whole package, especially if you get a used 12g. Gotta say, the Marlin is real handy and easy in the brush with minimal recoil.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    With a good range finder I can hit a pie plate at 150 yards with holdover. I do hate holding over a deers back to hit it. Just does not seem right to aim over a deer. Most of the deer I have shot are much closer that 100 yards because of the areas I hunt at. With Indiana's weird laws if I want to shoot long range like beanfield edges I use my T/C pistol.

after 150 yards the 44 mag drops quick. If you want a 200 yard legal Indiana deer rifle the 357 MAX will do about 225 from a 18 inch barrel with of course handloads and then there are Indiana deer legal wildcats but we are talking Inexpensive deer rifles.

A handirifle in 357 mag and a reemer rental to make it 357 max would be a 200 yard deer gun cheap. but it is not a multishot weapon unless you learn to reload with a wrist ammo holder. then you have the reloading equipment.

The cheapest way to go would be a used 870 with a mossburg fully rifled 24 inch barrel and say the cheapest sabot round you can find that groups. I will admit a good 12 guage hit puts a deer down quick. If you like your 10-22 then ruger has the carbine 44 auto but those prices are over 650 now if you can find a good one.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    I would say a Handi-Rifle in 357 or 44 mag would fit the bill. I have shot the 357 model and it was a nice rifle, I imagine the 44 would be just as nice. I think the 44 Mag. is an awesome deer caliber. I took 3 deer this last season with a 44 rifle with 3 rounds. In my opinion, a 44 is way more cost effective to practice with than a 12 guage with premium slugs and with way less recoil. I was ringing about an 8" plate at 110 yrds with a 44. I'm sure it will reach farther but I was happy with that....

tgood

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    I use the handi 44 mag for deer. Compared to my rem. 12 ga. there is no kick and a lot cheaper to shoot, even with the new lever evolution ammo (must have IMHO).I've thought about getting a lever action but love the simplicity of a single shot and have never needed a second shot. If you want long distance cabelas now sells a lever evolution scope for the 44 with the multi range capabilities for around $100. Love my shotguns for rabbit but durring deer season they sit in the safe and I'll never look back.

mrussel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    I'm not really sure why that should be a problem. There are lots of inexpensive rifles out there that would work really well for taking deer. Unfortunately not legally in most cases. Could be that there is nothing that fits the category that I am asking about.

Im told in eastern europe they use the Mosin Nagant for hunting. I plan on giving mine a try this fall. I might be crazy,but the idea of skulking about in the outdoors with one seems like fun. The way I see it,its on the heavy side,but its damn accurate,and has a punch similar to a 30-06. With some .312 hunting bullets seated on some fireformed brass,I think I can expect some very good things from it,and I know for a fact that it works in cold weather,snow,rain,mud,or anything else I can throw at it. People look at me like Im crazy becuase I dont have a modern rifle with a plastic stock but Ill see how it goes. Ive also heard some jokes about the bayonette,but really that wouldnt be fair to the deer. After all,I wouldnt have to shoot them,its so long I could just reach out and stab them with it.

Last edited:

mrussel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    I would say a Handi-Rifle in 357 or 44 mag would fit the bill. I have shot the 357 model and it was a nice rifle, I imagine the 44 would be just as nice. I think the 44 Mag. is an awesome deer caliber. I took 3 deer this last season with a 44 rifle with 3 rounds. In my opinion, a 44 is way more cost effective to practice with than a 12 guage with premium slugs and with way less recoil. I was ringing about an 8" plate at 110 yrds with a 44. I'm sure it will reach farther but I was happy with that....

I dont know to much about the handi,but I have a 12ga pardner with a tracker II slug barrel and it works great. One thing I like about it is I feel dead certain,when I pull the trigger its going bang. The handi is built on the same receiver,just with a riflel barrel. The handi I understand can also be fitted with shotgun barrels which is nice. I bought mine when I intended to go deer hunting in Ohio,becuase all they allowed were shotguns. The shotguns though have an amazing kick,you MUST have a recoil pad,or it will cause enough pain in your shoulder after a few shots that you will be concerned that you might need medical attention (no kidding,it really was that bad,get the pad!) Most people who Ive spoken to that have the pardners and handis speak favorably of them.

243rem700

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    Im told in eastern europe they use the Mosin Nagant for hunting. I plan on giving mine a try this fall. I might be crazy,but the idea of skulking about in the outdoors with one seems like fun. The way I see it,its on the heavy side,but its damn accurate,and has a punch similar to a 30-06. With some .312 hunting bullets seated on some fireformed brass,I think I can expect some very good things from it,and I know for a fact that it works in cold weather,snow,rain,mud,or anything else I can throw at it. People look at me like Im crazy becuase I dont have a modern rifle with a plastic stock but Ill see how it goes. Ive also heard some jokes about the bayonette,but really that wouldnt be fair to the deer. After all,I wouldnt have to shoot them,its so long I could just reach out and stab them with it.

The only problem with the Mosin Nagant is it is illegal to hunt with in Indiana.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Don't you shoot CAS Delmar? If so, you surely have a rifle that can be used? I sold my Puma a couple of years ago to an Amish fella that wanted it for deer.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    I really don't see the point for Indiana. Rifles that are legal here are at best ballistically similar to a sabot slug (458) or inferior in terms of range and power (Pistol caliber carbines).

The only advantage I see is that a 357 or 44 lever carbine can often be lighter weight than most slug guns.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

Better start studying the rule book now. You've got a lot to learn.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    Don't you shoot CAS Delmar? If so, you surely have a rifle that can be used? I sold my Puma a couple of years ago to an Amish fella that wanted it for deer.
    I have shot CAS a couple of times, with somebody else's rifle. CAS is cool, but I am not certain that I am going to pursue it further, because I have discovered the opportunity for other shooting sports closer to home for less money. Also I got interested in CAS as a venue to shoot my cap and ball guns, but nobody else in my area shoots CAS with cap and ball. It's just not as much fun as I thought it would be, to be the only one spending all my time loading while everyone else is socializing.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Rifles that are legal here are at best ballistically similar to a sabot slug (458) or inferior in terms of range and power (Pistol caliber carbines).

I have a cure for that notion of yours.

358BFG180Hornady.jpg

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Middle of the road option is the Saiga 12. Smooth bore, not rifled barrel so it is multipurpose. Same could be said for any pump shotgun.

If you are not already a shotgunner, a good comparison is a Lever vs say a Remington 1100/1187 with rifled barrel.

By the time you compare the guns in size, weight, cost, ammo cost and potential uses (hunting, sport and defense) the lever gun wins. Rifle barreld shotguns are very specialized, I call them a poor mans 50 cal and a semi auto loaded with sabots will tear things up but so will a .308.

For me I am adding a single shot in .357 this year. Simple and sweet. I have hunted with a 16" Marlin in .44mag and a short lever carries almost as well as an AR....almost.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I read the OP as far as multiple shots, but why be so quick to discount a muzzleloader? They are inexpensive, function just as well as a cartridge gun and you get an extra two weeks of hunting time. You don't really need the follow up shots. They are accurate out to 200 yards and you are firing a fifty caliber bullet. Unless you have some other purpse in mind for the gun I would choose a muzzleloader over any of the other legal weapons for putting venison in the fridge.

Delmar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 2, 2009
    Goshen IN
    I read the OP as far as multiple shots, but why be so quick to discount a muzzleloader? They are inexpensive, function just as well as a cartridge gun and you get an extra two weeks of hunting time. You don't really need the follow up shots. They are accurate out to 200 yards and you are firing a fifty caliber bullet. Unless you have some other purpse in mind for the gun I would choose a muzzleloader over any of the other legal weapons for putting venison in the fridge.
    This thread has been fun and generated some unexpected ideas. The main thing I have been looking for is a fun rile that has more bang than my stepson's 22. I'm probably going to end up with a Mosin unless I find just the right deal on a Mauser or an amazing deal on an SKS. I haven't quite made my mind up, but I started this thread to look at other alternatives. I figured if there was another rife I could buy for $200-$300 that I could also hunt with, that might be a neat alternative. My conclusion is that unless I decided to bite the bullet and spend $400-$600 on a CAS legal lever action rifle, I will probably just go with a Mosin or Turkish Mauser. I decide to do any deer hunting I can still use my 12 ga.

mrussel

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Better start studying the rule book now. You've got a lot to learn.
    Im not around those parts anymore. Moved to Utah. If you mean I couldnt stab em with the bayonette,you dont realize just how LONG that darn thing is. ;)

Delmar: The Mosin is a sweet rifle thats so cheap that there is no reason NOT to own one. (I just bought a second one with a laminated stock) Unfortunatly as far as I know its not legal for hunting where your are. Actually,Im suprised you even get any rifles for hunting. For shotguns/slug guns,I love my NEF. They have them with scope mounts on the slug barrels now too. Mine only has iron sights and they dont recomend drilling it. It has a heck of a kick though. You MUST buy a recoil pad for them. They are also very rather light weight.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom