• DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    FTA:
    “We've had some successes in some classes, but we're just not getting enough minority applicants to backfill the losses,” said Joe Slash, a member of the Police Merit Board and the retired president of the Indianapolis Urban League.

Can't really hire them if they don't apply, can you?

Also:
    "It is a tool used by or available to the chief to ensure greater diversity among the Police Department in Indianapolis so that it may look more like the community that it serves," said Clay, the council Democrat. "Obviously, I'm unapologetically supportive of it if it benefits African-Americans."

So, it's okay to support benefiting one demographic over another... as long as it's the "right" demographic. If that doesn't define a discriminatory practice I don't know what does.

As someone said upthread, a blind application process is the only fair means of hiring. Let everyone apply based on their qualifications and let the chips fall where they may. That is the only "fair" practice that should be in place. Scrub anything from the application that could identify a person's race, gender, religion, etc.. Assign each applicant a number, only to be matched back to the applicant once the hiring decision has been made. Totally fair. Certainly much more fair than targeted recruitment just to reach an arbitrary percentage of each demographic.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    FTA:
    “We've had some successes in some classes, but we're just not getting enough minority applicants to backfill the losses,” said Joe Slash, a member of the Police Merit Board and the retired president of the Indianapolis Urban League.

Can't really hire them if they don't apply, can you? Are they suggesting conscription?

Also:
    "It is a tool used by or available to the chief to ensure greater diversity among the Police Department in Indianapolis so that it may look more like the community that it serves," said Clay, the council Democrat. "Obviously, I'm unapologetically supportive of it if it benefits African-Americans."

So, it's okay to support benefiting one demographic over another... as long as it's the "right" demographic. If that doesn't define a discriminatory practice I don't know what does.

As someone said upthread, a blind application process is the only fair means of hiring. Let everyone apply based on their qualifications and let the chips fall where they may. That is the only "fair" practice that should be in place. Scrub anything from the application that could identify a person's race, gender, religion, etc.. Assign each applicant a number, only to be matched back to the applicant once the hiring decision has been made (at which point any vetting, security checks, etc. would be done). Totally fair. Certainly much more fair than targeted recruitment just to reach an arbitrary percentage of each demographic.

Call me crazy, but when I call the police, I don't care if a black cop, white cop, Asian cop or a woman cop (of any race) shows up. I just want a cop. I trust (and expect) that they will handle the situation in a professional manner regardless of my race or gender. If they don't, then they have no business being a cop and that's on them.

Last edited:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    So the National Football League should be 85% white then because the country is?

If there is proven discrimination, correct it and punish those responsible. If the process itself treats applicants equally and this is the outcome, so be it.

No, see, that's separate. The coaching ranks should be 70% black because that's what the players are.

Top Bottom